Is it okay to have mixed wood trim inside a home?
cagoodman
Our home interior has solid wood, six-panel doors and stained/poly-urethaned window, door and floor trim-work - all the same wood and stain color. Our windows are wood inside with metal-clad exteriors. I would not want to paint the mullions in the windows, as they are uniform on the outside of the house and look great as they are, but would it look okay to change some of the rooms' interior trim to painted trim, or should I just live with it as it is?
Jayme H.
Can u post a few pics of the areas you are considering painting? In open floor plans or homes in which the rooms are clearly visible from adjoining rooms it doesn't always look good to have a mix..But it does help for people to see the rooms to help give you advise. Thanks:)
February 26, 2013 at 6:30AM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Jayme Hobbs has made an excellent point. Aesthetics aside, the the time and effort to mask off and paint the existing trim may not be worth it, that is a quotient only you can decide. Consider focusing on wall colors to bring more individuality to the rooms.
February 26, 2013 at 6:43AM   
ModaScapes Interior Design
The rule of thumb on trim, to keep continuity throughout the house, is to keep baseboards and door casings the same color and doors and windows the same color. This is what I always taught the design students. They can be different from each other. I just did a quick search on "painted trim" are there are tons of examples on Houzz that show stained wood windows and doors with painted trim (in many different colors).
February 26, 2013 at 6:46AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
If your house is large with separated rooms there really isn't a problem having them different. Look at all the old homes that mixed different styles throughout the house.
February 26, 2013 at 7:00AM     
Mixing wood trim and painted trim throughout home
Please help! What would it look like to have one or...
Kitchen tile or wood or okay with a mix?
I need some opinions. Here are pictures of what my...
Is it okay have stained trim in this room and white trim in the next?
Are there rules about switching from stained to painted...
TV location?
Am in the process of purchasing this home. It is small,...
need help picking out tile color and style for kitchen
We are replacing the carpet in the dining room with...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
need help for entryway
The front of our house is really boring. We want to...