Choosing the perfect blue/gray paint for family room
Jennifer Chomicki
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are a new build (within a year) and are just getting started on painting our white walls. Our family room is our first major project and I am having a tough time. The carpet and the couches are both basically the same beige color, making me want color on the walls (there is a bit of blue in the stone on the fireplace). I have been sampling quite a few colors, and I apologize for the ridiculous amount of over-painting I did on the back walls - I started to paint over colors I vetoed. There is a clean shot of the colors separated, from left to right: Gray Screen, SW-7071, Online SW-7072, Monorail Silver SW-7663, March Wind, SW-7668, and Cliffside Gray on the bottom (a BM paint that was color matched by SW).

I am really looking for a warmer blue/gray. The Online and Monorail Silver are very similar but the online has more of a gray base and is warmer IMO. My husband prefers the Monorail Silver feeling that the Online would just be too dark. I just don't want too baby blue of a room. As you can see, it gets a lot of light and is part of an open floor plan connecting to the kitchen (dark/ebony cabinets with silver gray granite). Thinking I will be doing BM Revere Pewter for the foyer (love, love, love this color).

Just to give my vision down the road: white bookshelves around fireplace and white, wood trim added to around windows (actually not even sure that this is entirely possible but really want it to complete the look).

Anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions of color that I haven't though of?
Thank you so, so much!
Jen
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jennifer Chomicki
Oh, and we are definitely not doing beige in the family room - I was just testing out everything just in case. Just for more info, my inspiration for color is partly drawn from wood work iron frames in the adjoining office. Also, we did do the half-bath recently and it is a dark gray blue - SW Gris.
February 26, 2013 at 12:31pm   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
0825sam
If you are interested in going more blue, Pittsburgh Paints Quicksilver is a nice slate blue that looks really nice against white moldings and may let your tan couches and rug pop out a little bit more than a lighter color. It's definitely more of a "color" than what your samples look like though.
February 26, 2013 at 12:47pm