Fireplace...what should I do?
Krista Hickey
Hi, We just bought a house and wondering if anyone has some ideas of how to decorate the fireplace mantle. It is not in the center of a room, but more in a transitional space...no room for furniture. the furniture and picture above mantle is not ours. Would like to achieve an elegant decor. Paint color is also changing to a softer color.
If that is a vent above the picture, I would paint it to match the niche, whatever color you use. More pics would help. Can we see the balance of the room? When will your furniture be in so we can work with your things? That would be more realistic than pictures of someone else's style and furniture.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 4:15PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I would like to see a couple of views of the room. I think you might be able to do a sitting area by the fireplace. I can't be sure though without the pictures.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 4:19PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
By using more than one shade of paint you can accentuate the architectural features. So let's say you've selected a Sand color for the walls. Then have a quart mixed at the paint store (or find it in a color chart) which is lighter by one shade of the wall color. Now get a second quart mixed either lighter still, or a little deeper than the walls. Leaving the applied moldings the same as the rest of the trim in the room (in your case White) apply the deeper of your two new colors to the recessed sections. This will give the effect of more shadow. The recessed sections will appear deeper.
Use the final color to highlight the remaining surface. You can also just highlight the band around the opening that meets your black insert with your third color.
The idea is that you are making the whole mantle more prominent by using shading.
Finally, a smaller painting, lithograph, or portrait with a great frame will pop. The art the former owner used is too big for that area.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:37PM
Krista Hickey
Here are more pics. again...wall colors will change and none of the furniture in the pic is ours. For the TV room, we have a chocolate brown sofa and off white accent chairs. Fairly modern off-white wall mounted console to go under TV mount. We do have a sofa table with stools too, to go behind sofa (if sofa faces away from kitchen and faces into room, but not sure if we will use it as there are stools to the kitchen in the same area).
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:03PM
David Richard
Visit this gallery, they do a lot of fireplace face lifthttp://www.omegamantels.com/gallery.php
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 3:41AM
Luxe Water Walls
How about a water wall? See more pictures at http://www.LuxeWaterWalls.com
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 8:15AM
Maureen
I think you have to consider what is above the mantle and tie in both. Don't add too many small items on mantle and add items that suit your room. Living Room - Contemporary
Brownhouse Design
Fair Winds
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 8:46AM
Should I paint my fireplace..what colors for it.. The mental and the d
I would luv to paint my fireplace a light color and...
Lucie Fortin
love the fireplace-what brand is it and where can I buy it?
Is it gas or wood burning? Thank you very much-you...
reneespiegelglass
Help with demolished fireplace.What have I done!
There was a very ugly gargoyle face in the hole, I...
senetamina
floor plan problems
working with architect,15000 in, and still not happy...
piercesof
Kitchen cabinet knobs
What kind of knobs do you suggest for my kitchen cabinets? The...
mytime001
Casing for doors [Minimal Modern Scandinavian]
HELLO to everyone. First I would like to thank everyone...
dowdowburns
Bathroom style and color
Here are some bathroom designs..
VANGUARD development
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker