Ideas for island?
suzlanuz
Hey! Looking for unique ideas for a kitchen island surround. Wood floors,white cabinets,back splash. Light airy beach decor.
Eagledzines
Try typing "kitchen island" in the search box in the black bar at the top of the page. Look under 'photos'.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:59PM
suzlanuz
Thank you! I did try that and it wasn't telling me creative ideas for what to actually put around an island (old barn wood, tile, etc.) it just showed what to use as an actual island and lighting above it. Thanks for trying,though!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 4:57AM
Eagledzines
Keep in mind the colors that you see on the beach when selecting a colors regardless of the material you use as well as the colors you are trying to blend it with that are already in the room.

Anything you use will have to have a finished edge if the edges are exposed. The edge treatment will depend on the material you use.

If the back of the island is usually a 1/4" piece of plywood cut out of an 8x4 (not 4x8) piece of paneling. This means the grain is running in the opposite direction than normal

Another option is use cabinet doors, same as the cabinet doors you already have, normally, on the backs of the cabinets. They are normally spread to be equally sized on the back but the sizes could be mixed. I would keep both the left and the right symmetrical though.

You could also, have a wainscot panel made.

You could use tile on a piece of hardibacker attached to the cabinets. There are so many different tiles you could use.

If you could afford it and it fit your design you could also use stone. Or you could use any other material that matched or complemented your countertop.

Wood: You could also use beadboard sheeting, or tongue and groove boards. While a light color will fit with your airy beach design, if you use wood and if there is seating, make sure it's sealed well, as it will get kick marks on it. Oak is a good wood if you want a weathered look. It can be slightly sand-blasted and then stained white, off white or any other color that fits with the surroundings. Oak is a good wood for this because it has two different porosities in the wood, so when it is sandblasted, part of the grain is blown away and part of it is harder, making it stand out. It has a beach-washed look. You could even use reclaimed barnboard as on the table below. If there is seating, be careful of anything that would splinter and still, do seal it well but not with a gloss. Use a softer texture like a Benjamin Moore eggshell or pearl finish. A whitewash wood look good as in the second picture below. Again, make sure you seal it, especially if there is going to be seating.

Harbor Point
Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 6:58AM
Not sure what is considered 'unique' to you, but here are 2 examples.

Lake House

Chatham Residence
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:29AM
Amy Stanley
In a beachy themed room you could use a distressed paint, for a color I am picturing a cool beachy aqua?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:34AM
suzlanuz
Wow! Thanks so much for your response everybody!! Dytecture...love the 2nd picture idea! I think that is it! :)
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:57AM
Jayme H.
A white-washed/gray-washed appearance may go well..
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 10:04AM
Jayme H.
Pics
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:14AM
Ceiling fan height
Just wondering for a ceiling fan, how much drop or...
sharpur
Need advice on the entry and stairs walls
Please I need help! How can I decorate or paint the...
becky4444
Contractors, Plumbers - Please help with my water heater fan noise!
I just moved into a new home - new construction. The...
doctornancy
Glass/metal dining room chandelier ideas
We're looking for a new chandelier for our dining room,...
Alice
Living Room Arrangement Help
We are looking for advice on how to make our living...
sazak