Family room help!
gborton
I have this long and somewhat narrow family room, and I want it to be beautiful. The dimensions are approximately 14' wide by 18' long. The wall with just the mirror on it is a huge problem. This wall is at the opposite end of the entrance, and I don't know what to put here. The brown leather chair is a recliner that my husband likes. I would put a tree or something here but that chair is huge and reclines way back into the corner. Do I need bookcases on either ends? More art? A different paint color?

Just so you know, I like the drapes, the rug, and small chair. The two navy leather couches must be replaced. I also would like the perfect narrow table to go under the television. I think finding a table that I can store footstools under would be great, too.

I can't wait to learn about the ideas and solutions. Thank you!
Interiors International, Inc.
First I love the stripe colors in the drapery panels. Your right the blue leather has to go. Are you sure you can't talk your hubby into a new chair? That one is huge.If not then do not buy any new leather furniture for the room. A console table with 2 ottomans tucked under it will look great beneath the TV. A glass top coffee table will make the place look bigger.
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:03PM
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
CURTAINS ARE GREAT. YOUR FIRST PHOTO OF THE CORNER OF THE ROOM IS VERY NICE--IT IS MUCH MORE SOPHISTICATED THE THE REMAINDER OF THE ROOM.

I THINK THE WALLS COULD BE GOLDER TO MATCH THE CURTAIN COLOR (THE COLOR BELOW THE RED STRIPE. A WALL UNIT WITH THE TV ON A SHELF OR A CONSOLE TABLE WITH THE TV ON TOP WOULD LOOK MUCH BETTER THAT THE TV FLOATING IN SPACE.

ALSO BE GREAT TO HAVE A NEW RUG WHICH WOULD PICH UP THE CURTAIN COLOR (S).
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:46PM
lastplace
Until you go out and spend money on furniture, you need to play around with what you have. Unless you get a feel of the different layout options you won't have any idea what to buy. I love the curtains, flooring and rug. Try this layout, just moving the furniture and leaving the tv until you know where it goes, since all the furniture will fit under it for now.

Put you husbands chair in the corner where you have the cute smaller chair. Put the wooden coffee table to the left of the chair to act as an end table for him.

Move the love seat between the windows where the tv is

Move the couch to the large wall at the end of the room with the mirror on it

Now pretend the tv is in a large wall unit with bookcases on either side and your small chair with a smaller end table than the round table beside your chair with your lamp. This will be good for reading, while your husband will be in his large chair in his own corner. You still have a conversation area with the couch and love seat and everyone will be able to see the tv

I'm not suggesting that these will be the right pieces but it will give you a different feel for the room. You room is large and no matter what new furniture you buy it will have to be filled in with end tables, lamps etc.
With this layout maybe picture the furniture as a large sectional

Let me know if you liked the layout
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:00PM
lastplace
That's the easy part. Your choices so far are clean sophisticated but comfortable and very inviting with all your windows. The blank wall needs a very large canvas print that picks up the colours of you curtains and the crisp white from you trimwork. The content of the picture is not as important as how it makes you feel. It should make you smile and feel that it reflects you. You have not define you space yet with accessories so you new picture will beyour jumping off point for pickingoutthe rest. You could all do a large iron srt piece that picks up on you curtain rods. You could also add two candle sconces to either side of your art.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:28PM
cjohnston
I think your room is lovely! Could you post a picture of the wall opposite the loveseat, showing the entrance to the room? Thank you!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:33PM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Yes, agree, love the curtains. Consider painting the walls the gold shade from the panels and then
your sofa and loveseat could be a couple of shades darker, or you could go with the red. If you are brave you could do the walls in the red and the sofa and loveseat in the gold. To anchor the TV consider black for your console with the stools below. The cushions could be a complimentary fabric something funky could be an option, a nice geometric, paisley or Ikat. Men and their recliners, don't know what to say about that :-) you could have a huge fight on your hands.

Here is a chair below, consider two on the wall where the mirror is and a table in between with some
great art on that wall above the two chairs.

What about a loveseat and two of these or something similar - that doesn't look like a recliner and isn't so big and boxy. The benches below the TV could be something like the one below. Classic and easy to move around.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:40PM
SPACIALISTS
Hi gborton,

Everything looks elegant here, maybe a few more art or pictures will make a difference. We made a few color combinations to match the existing furniture. Hope these help warm up your lovely space.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 9:24PM
jansgirl
Love the paint suggestions from everyone suggesting gold and you can see the diference it would make immediately in the pix provided by Spatialists.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 10:15PM
Vicki Saul
Remove the leather stuff and add a sectional with a chaise on end by the window where the loveseat is located. Put a big tree in tree in the corner where your husband's chair is. Other suggestions would be mirror the whole wall where the small mirror is to visually expand the room.
Rather than use a table with ottomans under it directly under the tv, maybe use a weightier piece. You could do an ottoman type coffee table like a tufted one or some cube ottomans pushed together as your coffee table.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 1:26PM
Need help with designing porch off of family room & family room
The rooms connect and doors are left opened most of...
Mildred Timme
Family Room - Need Help Decorating/Furnishing this Family Room
The room is a light gray color with white trim, hardwood...
kcrooke
Help with our Family room! Family of 8 with no direction!
We have lived int he same home for 20 years, raised...
Kim McKenna
Modern Family needs help with BORING Family Room in new house
We sold our super stylish/hip mid century modern home...
jkland
Need help converting living room into a more contemporary tv room/family room.
We want a family room that's stylish and comfortable....
Margo Marks
New house color for open kitchen, eating area living room
We just moved into our new home a week ago (please...
belund
would like french country foyer bench that ships to canada
Can you please send me a list of french country benches...
ksinclair2
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Driveway appeal
I just finished pressure watching my driveway and would...
armygirl1987