Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraselvaggio

Decorating ideas for breakfast nook?

saraselvaggio
11 years ago
Any decorating ideas for this space are welcomed?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Pyramid Design Group Architects
    11 years ago
    ADD SOME COLOR AND PUNCH WITH WINDOW TREATMENTS AND AREA RUG. ALSO THE LIGHTING FIXTURE IS TO HIGH. AND YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET A FIXTURE THAT IS MORE FUN. IN ADDITION I WOULD RECOVER THE CHAIR SEATS.
  • Cindy Johnson
    11 years ago
    You need color! Bright orange if you please in the picture so say a mat. Recover the chairs in a variegated orange pattern and add a few orange ball thingys to you table decore. Done.
  • njcook53
    11 years ago
    You definitely need a lower light, some curtains and a rug. You will need to pick out colors from your adjoining space. What a fantastic blank slate to start with! Good luck!
  • jennifergil81
    11 years ago
    A nice Roman shade with a funky pattern it definitely needs some colour :)
  • Candace Bordelon
    11 years ago
    I am assuming that you only have 2 people living there, but do you ever have friends over? Informal gatherings? Wine, cheese with girlfriends? Beer and poker? Get a 4 seater table, probably round to fit better in the angles of the nook. I would get a lighter color or glass table because your floor is so dark. Consider painting your breakfast nook a color and let the neutral carry into the kitchen, or vice versa. A pretty Roman shade with a pop of color. If you don't get a new table and chairs, recover the chair cushions in a brighter color OR you could even paint the chairs an accent color, and dress the table with something with color.
  • Dawn Poole
    11 years ago
    In addition to the previous great suggestions, frame in the window.
  • Beth Morrow
    11 years ago
    Full length drapes, circular rug, something else with the wall hanging.. That one iost by itself....lower light fixture. Then add some flowers/candles or a tray w then inthe tray and placemates on the table. That should do it! Great room...BEAUTIFUL BONES!
  • Shannon Dyson
    11 years ago
    you most certainly want a rug or a different table because the dark tone is blending in with the floor. A rug under the table that coordinates with the needed drapery for the window would make the table pop. A lower, contemporary light fixture would also add more character. A more colorful, natural centerpiece would also add some warmth and punch to the space. Great bones and Good taste so far ! Good luck !
  • Crystal Petersen
    11 years ago
    I like it. I think you need
    s a rug and window treatments.. Also love the picture. You should see if to can find a black wall hanging wine rack and hang it up also. Would look nice, Good job so far:)
  • Valerie Turnell
    11 years ago
    Add a nice colorful rug, with soft curtains. Add a nice bright picture behind with color!
    This will warm up the area for sure!
  • Dori Blockberger-Alexanian
    11 years ago
    I would lower the light ... change the the fixture to the color of the table (Oil rubbed bronze) something with shades on it, cream in color. I would also 86 the picture and replace it with some iron work art, long in length. I would also either full shutter the window with a nice cornice or cafe shutter the window with a box pleat valence, rich in color and hint of design ... damask is always classy! Also 86 the center piece and go with a clear tall vase with tulips or lillys. The color on the wall is good. Wouldn't touch that. Trim looks great too. Good luck :o)
  • Helen Boltin
    11 years ago
    I see this window as the perfect opportunity for a really wow factor focal point. I would find some beautiful drapery hardware, long curtain panels with a modern graphic print in bold colors to hang on either side of the window and if you want a way to add privacy and control natural light you could also add more texture by using a beautiful natural bamboo shade underneath. Creating a bold statement with texture and pattern would really jazz up the neutral space without taking up any additional floor space. I would hang the drapery high on the wall to draw the eye up but I would lower the pendant light to the proper height (definitely no more than three feet above the table and 30" would probably be better) and center it over the table. If you like the fixture I say keep it, if not I would replace it with something similar in size but in a design that you love.
  • sgrobe
    11 years ago
    Fabric: 2 table clothes that copliment each other. 2 sets of roman blinds. These can be adjusted in so many ways for privacy and light.
  • Pat Griffith
    11 years ago
    louvered plantation shutters will look nice along with a sisal rug some interest on the wall hang some plates - a seasonal wreath - a group of photos - neutral table cloth so splashes of color can be changed for the seasons - brights or pastels for spring and summer fall colors - and of course christmas and warm winter colors . and I am a fan of real plants a lovely hanging spider plant and a nice big indoor tree would be awesome . I like good bones and a constant updating with accessories .
  • PRO
    Polski Remodeling & Flooring
    11 years ago
    There definetly needs to be a different light fixture , and window treatments , and a table cloth , also I would paint the lower part with a warmer color white paint - this looks to bright white . or at least paint the flat white surfaces with a little bit warmer white paint - like linen white , and a painting would be nice , with a plain wood frame - matching floor color
  • jingstad
    11 years ago
    I believe you need a larger table (high or low) with some white in it....either white legs dark surface or vice versa. Also, because the space between the window and wall is narrow...drapes would cover some of your window space, whereas roman shades would add the color you want while leaving the window space open when you want it. A fun chandelier....either a large drum with the same or coordinating fabric with the roman shades....or a funky one placed lower would add interest to the space. The picture definitely needs some companions.
  • PRO
    Rancho Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Pull the seating out from the wall, add window panels, create a gallery of art/photos to warm the nook, add a modern pattern area rug, small chandelier to change the light they have and decorate the table with 3 hurricane vase candles.-Rancho Interior Design.com
  • henrita
    11 years ago
    Pull the seating from the wall, enough leave enough space for a pot plant, have a warm colour for voile cutains, small chandeleir ,have a low flower arrangement, on the table. a modern plain rug to compliment the colour of the curtains.
  • ginale
    11 years ago
    I would just use colorful curtains. I don't like a rug under my breakfast area only because of the mess....it really gets used! As for the light....do you have another photo that shows clearer what you have?
  • bdarrow
    11 years ago
    Try inexpensive white sheer panels for the window and maybe chair covers like the caters use for a little more cozy feeling.
  • mainstreetschool
    11 years ago
    I like Carolyn's pictures, especially the brown. I would perhaps adda floating shel on the other wall space with minimal accessories to compliment the picture.
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    11 years ago
    Like the idea of the floating shelf or another picture to balance that one, but not sure how much room is on the other wall. :-)
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi saraselvaggio, Marie here.
    I've never liked the cafe tables - I find them very uncomfortable. When I'm sitting in my nook drinking my morning coffee, I want to be able to relax, the cafe table perched on a stool isn't the most relaxing of chairs. If your not tied to them, I'd replace table and chairs go with something comfy.

Your picture is too high.
    You need window treatments and/or drapes.
    Your fixture isn't substantial enough - I'd also change that.
    If budget isn't an issue - I'd build in a banquette - make this area comfy cozy!

Find an inspiration photo fo the room you love, then find elements of that room locally to get you there. Good luck with your project.
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    I suggest a window treatment to soften it up....and a nice lower hanging light fixture. It will help pull that eating area together!
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    11 years ago
    Marie, I hear what you are saying and love the idea of a banquette with a table. The angles look like it will make it a bit difficult and also the window is very low on top of which they have all the custom wainscotting which I bet the male in the house won't want to cover up :-) Great suggestion though, but I'm a big fan of them.
  • deyjiavuu
    11 years ago
    @Jingstad - your examples are exactly, precisely what I would suggest as well. Both reflect the much needed warmth as well as create an area that draws you into it. I could digest very nicely surrounded by both examples.
  • saraselvaggio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love everyone's comments. I lowered the light yesterday, although I am shopping for a new drum style chandelier now. I put some plants in the room and am looking for new wall art with color and something colorful for my table. I pulled the table out to Center under the light. I'm excited about how it will look in the end.
Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design