OLLD 2/27
February 27, 2013 in Other
Morning OLLD's! What's happening that's new and exciting today?
astraea
Morning ladies .. trying to get any early start here, since I kind of caught up on the critical things yesterday! Rainy & windy weather last night & today .. not nice, but at least it's not snow!
February 27, 2013 at 4:44AM     
olldroo
Morning Madam President. Congratulations!!! You are one busy lady Haven't you learned to sit on your hands??? I'm afraid I'm past all that now, done too much in the past and now I just don't like committment. I will help out when it suits me and that is it.

We had day 1 of our 40 days of rain today and the only thing that was dripping was me with the humidity. See what tomorrow brings.
February 27, 2013 at 4:52AM     
So Roo, you will finally get some rest in August? And you don't want to travel with him?
February 27, 2013 at 5:02AM     
olldroo
Night all.
February 27, 2013 at 6:16AM     
Night, roo, thanks for all your help!
February 27, 2013 at 6:32AM   
roo, Cutie Pie was barely out of the driveway yesterday for his FLA trip when I was into stuff. My friend works at a soup kitchen once a month and I will give her bags of clothing to distribute. If I shuffle things around in his spaces, he won't even know it's gone.

This morning is rotten…wind and rain. Kitty mournfully looking out the window. I think is supposed to clear and I hope by the time I have to go out it is a little cherrier.

Today's appointment is to talk about a full bath that also must work for the dinner guests. Everything is 1980. Dark cabs, that gold trim on the glass doors. Tough one. They want two sinks. But 360 days a year it will only be used to the drop-in visitor. I'd like to see two pedestals there instead of a huge vanity. Going to scout around houzz and see what ideas I can come up with. Any suggestions? :>)
February 27, 2013 at 6:36AM     
judy, CP gone? Woo hoo! Time to rest and relax and enjoy!

For the glass doors, are they clear glass? I would get some etching cream, so much easier to keep clean when they're opaque. Can the trim be removed and spray painted? I guess you're removing the cab if they want two sinks. Check Homey Depot, they've had some really good buys on vanity/sink combos lately. If they're going from one sink to two sinks there will be some $$$ plumbing involved, no?
February 27, 2013 at 6:39AM     
michigammemom
judyg, would your clients consider something like this?
February 27, 2013 at 6:56AM     
S. Thomas Kutch
A good Wednesday morning ladies.

Dave I can understand completely the former fit and lifestyle thing. I competed in gymnastics for too many years, pole vaulted in high school and college....... two years before my diagnosis, it was nothing for me to put 120 - 160 miles on my mountain bike over the weekend. At that time I lived in Ft. Myers, FL and I would ride out to Captiva Island early in the morning, do some saltwater fly fishing for snook or red fish at the cut, have lunch at that Canoe Club, feed the river otters, drink some beer, hit the cut again on the incoming tide and then ride home..........round trip was right at 74 miles.......then on Sunday I would do it again. Problem was, I was fighting a losing battle, I ate healthy food, worked out at the gym 3 mornings a week, constantly rode my bike, but my weight kept climbing..........I had always maintained my weight in the 195-215 range, 32"-34" waist, 46-48 jacket (for my shoulders and chest, always had to have them tailored to fit), and at 6' in height my 215 wasn't out of the norm for my build...... I was bulked as they say (leg press 480 work out, bench work out 260-280).......played racquet ball competitively and open class competitive softball........but then the odd things started happening..........broke my elbow throwing a ball to second base, found myself in the ER with blood pressure at 210/170.........when the headaches started coming on that left me totally debilitated and the black outs started, I pretty well figured something was wrong....really wrong. Weight started climbing no matter what I did or didn't eat or how much I worked out......when I hit 250 people were amazed that I weighed that much cause I sure didn't look like it........ and things just kept going down hill.....no energy, constant fatigue, joint and muscle pains, confusion, .... it took 2 years, a move and an older African American country style female doctor in Tupelo, MS who asked if I had ever been tested for Acromegaly............go figure. By then all the classic physical traits of Acromegaly were obvious................. like you, I will never be able to get back to where I was, but God willing I can and am improving where I am...........and to be honest it was a blessing unknown along with meeting my soon to be wife...... it forced me to re-examine my priorities and take a good hard look at what I had and was becoming........an angry, divorced man in his mid 40's, alone and using work to fill the voids.......my relationships with my kids was virtually non-existent or perfunctory at best, wasting far too many energies fighting with an ex wife and getting sucked into her games.......

sometimes God gives us detours to get us back on the better road than the one we thought was better............

I don't know about you all, but I'm finding less and less to interest me in the general discussions........how many times are we going to have to solve the tub/shower vs shower topic...... or the "what can I do with my fireplace...." (throw a log in it and start a fire)......everyday, it seems more and more like Houzz is starting to resemble a McDonald's Drive Thru. I'm thinking the same folks who are looking for fast design answers are the same folks who keep the drive thru busy..........instant gratification........instant answers and very few willing to figure stuff out themselves, do some investigating, do some experimenting...........very few thinkers and a whole lot of sheeple.......... okay, I'll get down off my soap box now, don't mind me...... I'm grouchy, waiting on UPS to delivery my shot today so I can harpoon my leg.........guess, I'll throw my heavy jacket on, grab my walking stick and take the dog for a walk before the temps drop anymore.....chance of snow this weekend.............oh boy, a good excuse to stay in and stay warm.........works for me.

MP.... just want to thank you for posting pictures of your kitchen counter tops........my wife loves them and I think we've pretty well decided on going with the light weight concrete for our solution........something in a warm charcoal range to go with the medium stained shaker look cabinets and SS appliances we already have............thanks.
February 27, 2013 at 7:18AM     
michi, hi and thanks. I like that solution. I am going to print it off and bring it with me. A picture is worth…..

bobbi, do you think that trim can be easily removed and replaced? It is MEAN!
February 27, 2013 at 7:37AM   
STK, I went thru the same frustration with Houzzers that you did, requesting help when solutions were simple and obvious. And then, never hearing back from them! But every once in a while we get a Houzzer who is sincere in their request for help, heeds our advice, responds and then --- OH MY ---- posts an after pic. And those are the ones that make it all worthwhile, don't ya think? I don't take it as seriously as I once did, and it's fun chatting with the Houzz regulars even if they're not OLLD's. I've never had as many virtual friends before as I do now so I'm stickin' with it.

I studiously avoid topics that are not in my area of knowledge - granite countertops, front door/exterior color, etc. etc. etc. The ones I've helped economically have expressed their happiness and gratitude and I feel so pleased that I've made a difference. So just pick and choose the requests and you'll feel better too. You have so much knowledge, you and David, that I know you've made a difference. Plus, I love to learn, and I love to learn from you and David.

Hang in there buddy OLLD!
February 27, 2013 at 8:00AM     
judy, check my response to that dilemma? I guess I should be prepared to get slammed again :((
February 27, 2013 at 8:05AM     
Ironwood Builders
STK, thanks...we gain perspective and wisdom through hardship. I do work the postings pretty hard, looking for questions that need answers...like the gas leak they think is their fireplace logs...or the gal with the $3mil. house that wants free decorating advice. I chime in on pro to pro sometimes...having a hard time with one poster that is so combative and narcissistic. He can't seem to post without insulting someone...always ends the insult with a HaHa! Bugger. Working again today...but sitting at the computer doing drawings for an air conditioning screen. Get a first rough pass done, then maybe clear my table and start getting it prepped for the leather. Photos follow!
February 27, 2013 at 8:06AM     
I do have one request for STK and David - smaller words????? We're not all as brilliant as you are!
February 27, 2013 at 8:08AM   
lisalovesquilts
Hi again I accidentally deleted my answer when I meant to amend it. Anyway I was a bit too distracted and I think my tone was wrong. I don't want to belittle people's issues, I too will swither over decisions that are simple. It's as you say Bobbi some people get back to you and some don't. STK I agree with a lot of what you said. I believe I mentioned the ancient Greek doctors shouting their abilities in the agora and I still like the idea of them needing us instead of the other way round!
February 27, 2013 at 8:09AM     
I mean, really? bobbi, that poor houzzer will think twice before she offers her opinion again.
February 27, 2013 at 8:10AM     
judy, seriously. I've called her out more than once! Even appealed to E for help a couple of times. Anyway..... I like your example too!
February 27, 2013 at 8:11AM     
lisalovesquilts
Ironwood I saw the million dollar poster and assumed it was a troll. Maybe they spent all their money on the house and now need free advice!

Do you think it matters if the inside of the house matches the exterior? If you like a particular style of furniture and art etc do you have change it to match?
February 27, 2013 at 8:13AM   
Oh! One more thing everyone, when (not if, but when) I get slammed again, can we all remember Nancy Reagan? Everyone?

Lisa, is that a real question or part of the million dollar post?
February 27, 2013 at 8:18AM     
lisalovesquilts
Hi Bobbi I was really wondering if people felt it mattered. I just thought to myself if I had a Mediterranean style house (or any particular style) I don't think I'd be bothered about matching the interior unless I loved the look. Actually I mean I don't think I'd slavishly match the interior so long as it was not too jarring and was comfortable for living in. I guess the question answers itself - if you can afford a particular style (at the million mark) then you could probably afford to go all the way. If you are living in what you can afford instead of your ideal then you do what you can. Asked and answered - I should delete!
February 27, 2013 at 8:28AM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Dave looking forward to seeing your final results with the leather, but then I"m partial to anything with leather........the more rustic the better. I had a friend who quietly bought this nothing great what I would call a gaming table 36"x36" with some heavier tapered legs to it........nothing particularly interesting about it....think he paid $5 for it. When I asked what he was going to do with it, his reply was "I don't know. ....it just looked like it needed to be bought". Must have had a dozen coats of every which color of paint that was on sale at the time on it....... much to his surprise, underneath all that paint was some fabulous cherry wood and a drawer that wasn't anywhere near visible before he removed the paint.......well, long story short, he refinished the wood and inlaid a leather chess board with brass headed tack to keep the edges down, lined the drawer with felt and formed foam insert to hold the chess pieces, added some leather wing back chairs and set it in his study.........the perfect place for a good game of chess and a couple of brandies.
February 27, 2013 at 8:32AM     
What million dollar house?
February 27, 2013 at 8:32AM     
Lisa, I see what you mean! I think there are certain style homes I wouldn't consider buying, Med being one of them. Tudor is nice but a bit too much wood, same with craftsman. But I think you're right, if you have enough money......

Judy, I missed that one too! But in California a million doesn't go as far as, say, Kansas? Oklahoma? Most parts of the country????
February 27, 2013 at 8:35AM     
lisalovesquilts
Posted by Kingskeeper77 "Need Mediterranean design ideas". Sorry Judyg I couldn't find a way to post the link.
February 27, 2013 at 8:42AM     
February 27, 2013 at 8:43AM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Brilliant......? Bobbi, I'm a 20 watt bulb powered by a 9 volt battery.

Lisa, there's differing opinions about that.....one side says continuity is good from the exterior to the interior and the other side says they're two different areas and can be treated as such........pick your side. I'm not so sure there is a right and wrong side..........I've seen the extremes of both arguments that worked and some that fought each other regardless......and some that were so eclectic that it didn't matter. My opinion is that you should always design for yourself and your comfort........but that's just me.
February 27, 2013 at 8:44AM     
mpoulsom
Hey guys and gals! I have no idea what's going on, but just read through today's posts thus far....
you are very welcome STK for any inspiration on countertops.
Dave, what in the world are you doing with leather? I may have missed something, but am curious.
Bob, Judyg, and Lisa...you all sound like happy campers today! yay on that!
Me, I'm just happy that the sun is FINALLy shining! It takes so little to make me happy.
I will be shopping for a wire crate today...lookin for a bargain of course :)
I can't let Dali take over the house while I'm at work. She is doing well, but she can only hold it for so long at this point. I can go to the house once in the middle of the day to let her out right now and that's it. She and Fooey and really starting to love each other I think. They are playing tug of war and running around each other teasing each other. Super cute! Nala is still just slinking around and looking at Dali trying to figure out whether she is a cat or a dog. The irony of that is that Nala is a Dogcat! She's more dog than cat and rules that house. She's already hit Dali in the face a couple of times.
February 27, 2013 at 10:22AM     
lisalovesquilts
Hello Mpoulsom. Good to hear from you.
It was sunny here too for the last couple of days - really perks me up, alas it is probably our summer!
We had snow last week, one heavy day followed by heavy rain which thankfully cleared the snow and then it was bright. Our weather is unpredictable to say the least. That's what gave us a burst pipe.

Tomorrow is our 18th wedding anniversary. It doesn't seem that long ago - that's good right?
February 27, 2013 at 11:38AM     
Hi guys and gals
Just a quick check in after an exhausting day. Right in the middle of a bathroom build and had a build site meeting - trying to cope with all the little details in French sometimes my mind just goes into meltdown and I find it more and more difficult to take things in - hopefully I have gotten every point that was raised.

Hope you are all well,
mp - please post more photos of Dali - it makes my day - and Dave is not into leather - he is just making leather benches to put your boggling imagination to rest ;-)
roo - you will be waking up soon, so good morning to you
STK - I loved your comment about being a 20 watt bulb being powered by a 9 volt battery - today I am so tired I don't even get it!!! :-(
To everyone else - love your comments but Full Brain Syndrome has hit full whack tonight and I am crawling to bed XXXhausted
February 27, 2013 at 11:44AM     
Ironwood Builders
mp, the leather is a new top for an arts and crafts library table, one with shelves on the side...as I said, pictures will follow. I'll probably age it out with 220 sandpaper before the decorative tacks go in the sides. ASV..you need a break...you work full time and have kids a guy and a house and now Houzz. I can't sleep because of the meds, like boobie (oops) I'm up all hours, so I post a lot..you've been kicking my butt and really working some of these posts...in addition to the rest of your life! Take a break!

I am into leather, just not in my bed. I'm more into doonas and feather pillows! But I have dust allergies (or did, we won't know for a while if my allergies or my brother's are the ones I get) so all my upholstered furniture is leather. MAN CAVE! Roll the rock over the the entrance and keep the girls away!

bobbie, I didn't think bugger was all that big a word!
February 27, 2013 at 12:03PM     
mpoulsom
nitey ASV...don't worry i will have more Dali pics. She's a keeper!
lisa, happy anniversary to you! you are doing great and it IS great that it doesn't seem like it. got anything special planned?
February 27, 2013 at 12:06PM     
I do sense a theme going on in the OLLD"s today! Hmmmm.......let's see, XXX(hausted), and leather? hehehe
February 27, 2013 at 12:19PM     
David, can you really get your brothers allergies now?

Lisa, Happy Anniversary! The time does fly, doesn't it?

MP, PICS!!! You promised :(( Are you feeling better?
February 27, 2013 at 12:20PM     
lisalovesquilts
Hi mpoulsom, thanks and no plans. The best thing about it every year (this applies to birthdays too) is that the children always make their own cards and they are so sweet and you know all their individual styles before you read them. You can see their growth in art and in sentiment every year. We are currently listening to the Stanley Brothers singing 'Man of constant sorrow' - should I be worried!

When I was thinking on about interior/exterior design I recalled various tv shows about this and that houses evolve with the generations who add or or subtract according to their needs and likes so I guess almost anything goes. I don't always like to see a house with original architectural features ripped out but occasionally the new design can be awesome. Horses for courses.
February 27, 2013 at 12:25PM     
Ironwood Builders
Yeah bobbie, if we had had different blood types, I'd have his now!
February 27, 2013 at 12:55PM     
mpoulsom
That is crazy dave....about you are partly your bro now...didn't really think about that, but it makes perfect sense. I did notice a LOT of mission style furniture in your mancave...reminded me of one of my old neighbors in CA. He lived in my building and he made furniture. Beautiful stuff. He was an odd cat, but very very nice. I think I kind of drove him crazy though. He kept asking me out, but I wasnt really interested. He never really gave up though.

ez, I hear you on the newbies....they don't have any idea that we who have been here for a while have seen a lot of the same questions. I think that's why I don't help as much anymore. Not that I really helped anybody! lol! but you know what i'm saying. :)

bob, please tell me that you are not asking for kitchen pics still??? HA! Dali pics right?
I am still not totally right, really tired...but getting better everyday. Not blowing my nose quite as much and I can almost hear again. I hate it when you can't hear because of sinus problems...but I love it when everything just opens up out of the blue. Like when you go up in the mountains and then come back down and your ears pop!
February 27, 2013 at 1:08PM     
So Dave if your brother was allergic to peanuts, you would be too? That's insane!

NO MP, KITCHEN PICS! YOU PROMISED!!!
February 27, 2013 at 1:30PM   
astraea
Roo - I have jokingly told the 1st VP that she’d better “learn fast”, because 1, 2-year term will be enough for me (LOL).

Judyg – I’ve been considering redoing my main bathroom, and it will be LIGHT! Now it’s a Jack & Jill style, but I want hall access for guests instead of that. Since I’ve never had more than 1 overnight visitor at a time, I’m just going for 1 generous sized sink .. and an nice vanity for storage. I hate pedestal sinks; have one in the powder room; pretty, but not practical.

Michi .. that picture looks like they could swim in the sink!

I’m sorry, but I’m seeing too many discussions that sound more like an excuse to brag, or looking for someone to agree with them, than they’re looking for real assistance & truthful answers. If I could afford a house that expensive, I’d have asked my realtor for recommendations on good decorators in the area. Many areas also have a lifestyle magazine, which usually features a socialite's home & its decorator. Wonder where on the east coast that house was!!
February 27, 2013 at 1:34PM     
A Mediterranean style house on the East coast? Now, there is a design dilemma. Holy Cow!
February 27, 2013 at 2:01PM     
astraea
That's confusing; I just got an e-mail notice about a post by Bobbi here, but it's NOT here?! An older home in Spring Lake - on Ocean Avenue across the street from the beach - just went under contract this week. The description suggested complete remodel or "build the home of your dreams" .. the lot is 75 x 150. Guess the price it was listed at .. strictly based on location!
February 27, 2013 at 2:13PM   
I deleted it, it was snarky. $2 million?
February 27, 2013 at 2:14PM     
astraea
$2.65 million. And incredibly, that's right on the money, because home sales are averaging 81% of their assessed value in Spring Lake .. and that house is assessed for $3.37 million. And you have to remodel or rebuild for that?
February 27, 2013 at 2:19PM     
Ironwood Builders
Yeah Bobbi, He's allergic to penicillin. Damn! Hope I don't get that one. I'll have to do my med alert bracelet all over again! mp, I've been on for maybe 6 weeks and i keep answering posts about hardwood floors in kitchens..me and feeny. About the neighbor, I really can't blame the guy, though...he just wanted to fill his home with nice stuff...and he latched on to you.
February 27, 2013 at 2:24PM     
mpoulsom
OK BOOBI, I'll take some shots tonight after I clean up the floor from Dali!! lol!
February 27, 2013 at 2:26PM     
MP, don't make me hurt you :)) And thanks!
February 27, 2013 at 2:27PM     
olldroo
Watch out MP Boobi threatened to hurt me yesterday - someone tell Rocky to hide.
February 27, 2013 at 3:26PM     
mpoulsom
poor rocky...... :( hahaha
February 27, 2013 at 3:35PM     
You mean Rooky? hahaha on all you guys!
February 27, 2013 at 3:39PM     
Roo, if corner houses don't sell fast, and the house was in good shape, why spend all that money fixing it up? I mean why even buy it if you don't like it?
February 27, 2013 at 3:40PM     
mpoulsom
Roo, be glad I don't live in your hood....I would probably be down there scavenging the place at the corner lot!
and Roo I really had no choice, (well i thought i had no choice at the time), BUT to put in a pedestal sink in the masterbath at my crib. The bathroom is tiny and of course i got some great dealio at the thrift store. I'm not into pedestal sinks that much, but this one is pretty good looking. Not modern, but tasteful for sure. I have to show you a pic of what that bathroom looked like when I first saw it! The cabinet was filthy dirty light blue and I think the people that built the house were midgets. Everything was very low, countertop wise. I didn;'t even consider salvaging that. Had to be ripped out. So we just ripped the floor out as well. It looks very nice now, but I also have a shelf beside it that holds crap, and then I roll the towels and have them in a basket by the shower opening. And I happen to snag another little cool thing from a friend of mine. I'll have to take a pic of that too. It's perfect for my perfume, little bottles, aspirin, bandaids etc. It's a very shallow wall thing with a glass door. It works in there.
Here, take a gander at this beauty!!! These are the before pics. the wallpaper in the bath were so old and rotten that It just came right off with me pulling it. It was literally petrified!
February 27, 2013 at 3:46PM   
janishill
Kutchie...sometimes it feels like 'Groundhouzz Day' instead of "Groundhog Day" (the movie.)

I where someonet asked what color paint to use and stated something like "I like white with blue" and I so wanted to reply "well paint it orange then!" Duh!

MP hope you are feeling back to normal tomorrow. Be sure to buy Dali a Kong. Fill it with Stuffin' or with peanut butter and freeze it. When you crate Dali give her the Kong. They are the best when crate training.

Lisa - CONGRATULATIONS!. 18 years is fantastic.

Weeds are just plants out of place and sometimes a particular style can be out of place as well. Perhaps we should just call it STOOP - Style Out Of Place!
February 27, 2013 at 3:48PM     
mpoulsom
how scary is THAT!!!!?????? But this is basically what this whole house looked like when I envisioned what it could be and has become! I don't have any pics of the after i don't think. Not here at work anyway. My internet at home as been weird the last 2 nights, so don't know if i can show you tonight or not...i'll see when i get home.
If you don't hear or see me, you'll know that I've been cut-off....lol
February 27, 2013 at 3:49PM     
mpoulsom
janishill, thanks....i got a kong from the daughter the other night. She loves it already even without the peanut butter, but she said the same thing! I'm almost back to normal!!!!
February 27, 2013 at 3:52PM     
handymam
YESSSS! My bobbi typo lives on!!
February 27, 2013 at 4:37PM     
handymam
I haven't been on Houzz as long as you guys and I am not as professional (ok, I am not professional at all!) and I am already sick of the "what color should I paint my____? What kind of countertop should I get to match my husband's eyes? What should I do with this wall?"(And then they say they don't want to wallpaper, or paint or spend any money.)
February 27, 2013 at 4:40PM     
olldroo
Yeah Mam - and we have Rooky too probably lucky I'm Roo anyway.
February 27, 2013 at 5:02PM     
janishill
MP..the best advice I have is freezing that Kong when Dali is teething at about 2 1/2 - 3 months. The same theory as giving a teething ring to a baby; it numbs the gums.

I have several Kong 'recipes' if you need them. :-)
February 27, 2013 at 5:07PM   
olldroo
Hey bobbi, I just realised when BH and I were trying to choose lights the other day, he was insisting on one he actually bought as a temporary light for the kitchen that I can't stand - the one we disagreed on most. It has now hit me - it's a BOOB light!!!!
February 27, 2013 at 5:07PM     
handymam
olldroo, do you man it is shaped like one? LOL, We have one of those in our house. My husband said we need another one...yeah, very funny.
February 27, 2013 at 5:23PM     
olldroo
Oh they MUST come in pairs!!!
February 27, 2013 at 5:29PM     
handymam
Of course! And then I can lie in bed and look up at them from my bed! Or my husband can!
February 27, 2013 at 5:31PM     
olldroo
Men like to dream.
February 27, 2013 at 5:38PM     
olldroo
Ez, I agree with you wholeheartedly to a point. The discussion today has been more about the type of posts and how difficult it is to help people. We mustn't be the only ones despairing of trying to answer the same vague questions all the time and it is sad when people give up trying because of this as it means if the posters don't get a response they then don't feel their problems are good enough for this site. I have answered many vague questions with questions to try to give readers an insight into what is needed, and many times the information still isn't forthcoming and it annoys me when others do race in with all sorts of ideas and colours that may not suit the poster's home and if they then follow the advice given, they could end up with a disastrous result and hate everyone here forever. It is a fine line between trying to be helpful and offending others and I'm sorry to say the offended ones are usually ones who don't understand what we are trying to achieve.
February 27, 2013 at 6:15PM     
olldroo
MP your comment on your bathroom only just came through. Sorry I wasn't aiming my comment at you, sure there are many bathrooms too tiny for a vanity, but Judy's one was big enough for a double sink and removing that vanity to replace with two pedestals just seemed such a waste to me. If you have the room why not? If you don't then there is no choice. You seem to have improvised brilliantly, but then you always do.

Actually, I saw some fabulous pedestals yesterday, they just looked like a cylinder with a recess for a bowl on top. Of course while they looked great, practical was another thing, taps would have to be on the wall, even a soap dish, but the clean lines were fabulous. I have to keep reminding you guys too, I am a Capricorn - I personify a Capricorn - no nonsense and practical to the bone!!!
February 27, 2013 at 6:25PM     
janishill
Roo...I am practical as well. And can squeeze a penny, if need be, but much prefer when there is no need.

EZ...I think the comments were vague and general; not specific to anyone. At least mine were. I surely hope no one was offended.
February 27, 2013 at 6:52PM   
olldroo
Ez, you sure you are ok?? I know you are very sensitive, which I think makes you a lovely person, so I do try to respect your feelings - I know I can be a bit bull in a china shop.
February 27, 2013 at 9:23PM     
creeser
Roo, I have a question for you dear. Re: plantar fasciitis, when you started doing the exercises, the frozen water bottle, good shoes, etc... did things get more painful in the hips and back as they realigned before getting better?
February 28, 2013 at 4:19AM   
olldroo
No, creesy, didn't change my shoes at all, in fact it was summertime and I am usually barefooted at home. It shouldn't really affect the hips and back as it is an inflammation problem in the heel. It just felt like I had trodden on a small pebble and bruised my heel.
February 28, 2013 at 4:23AM   
astraea
Half of the e-mail notifications overnight, came from a "Nancy Reagan" discussion mentioned in OLLD. Congratulations to Darzy for summarizing the situation so well .. about people "wanting what they want", despite not having the resources for it .. and expecting posters to support questionable decisions they'd like to make.
February 28, 2013 at 4:34AM   
creeser
Thanks roo. My chiro told me that because of the way you end up walking on your foot to avoid the pain, it shifts and eventually will cause your knees, then your hips to be in pain. Like a stack of kiddies blocks where the bottom one is off centered, the whole stack isn't straight. I had that bruised heel feel for a couple of years. I just ignored it. I think maybe mine had gone on longer than yours. I also have arthritis in my hips, so maybe that's being exacerbated. I have a physical coming up soon, I'll ask then. I do appreciate the exercise tips and the frozen water bottle tip! I would much rather address these issues at home.
February 28, 2013 at 4:41AM     
creeser
Astraea, was that discussion exhausting and frustrating or what? I finally had to quit reading it as my frustration level was reaching emergency levels. *L*
February 28, 2013 at 4:43AM     
astraea
Creeser - You're so right about how our bodies are connected, and one problem beginning to affect other parts! I have a good friend who had knee replacement surgery a while back, but even with therapy, she was still not walking 100% normally, and favored that leg. Next thing .. a problem with the hip on the other side & her back .. all connected with the knee replacement!

Roo - Something for us OLLDs to remember, is that just like we have collagen in our faces, which deteriorates with age, we have a pad on the bottom of our feet to cushion them .. and that deteriorates too with age! I used to love Birkenstock sandals, which have a hard cork sole, but after fracturing my heel bone in 2002, and getting a little older, I'm much more comfortable in cushy Merrell sandals, than the Birkenstocks. I also used to walk barefoot at home all the time, but between age & hardwood flooring, I don't do that anymore either.
February 28, 2013 at 5:03AM   
olldroo
Creesy - I was lucky, I had trodden on a stone once and hurt my heel that way, but this time I couldn't remember treading on anything. I happened to be having coffee with my cousin shortly after it started and mentioned it to her and she clued me in on what to do, and the podiatrist took it further. I had never even heard of it. I guess hobbling around on it for a few years wouldn't help. You really must take better care of yourself. Trouble is it is the sort of thing you feel a wuss complaining about. From memory mine was gone in 2 months from the onset, simply because I did attack it without delay. I also went to the gym each day and spent time stretching it on the power plate 3 or 4 times while I was there and it definitely made a huge difference. It would be 2 years ago now and I have had no further problems with it. Have you Googled it? There is heaps of information on it.
February 28, 2013 at 5:04AM   
olldroo
Ooops, forgot, when you are stretching, don't overdo it, just take it to where you feel the stretch, otherwise you can tear the achilles tendon and then you are in BIG trouble.
February 28, 2013 at 5:05AM   
creeser
Astraea, it's amazing what can affect other parts of the body. I have been hurting in my shoulder/neck and thought it was from my degenerative disc disease in the area. Part might be, but I noticed after the chiro adjusts my foot and hip, that pain will go away. It hit me then, that whenever I hurt really bad in my neck, my hip was hurting as well and on down to the foot. Weird, huh?

Roo, I broke that foot 8 years ago and had a good bit of pain in it for a good year or more afterwards. My chiro told me that's what can start this. A break or bad sprain can weaken the foot and cause the plantar f. to come about. When I started with the heel pain a year or so later, I just assumed I had arthritis in that foot from the break and never felt it was anything anyone could do about it. Like you said, felt like a wuss to complain. As Astraea mentioned, walking barefoot is worse for me. Our new house is built on a concrete foundation and it causes things to hurt. I had forgotten about that. 2 houses ago, when we first moved to this town, the house was on a slab and even in my 20s, feet and knees would hurt. Our old house wasn't and I had forgotten how much that affects you until we moved to this one and once again, that pain worsened in the feet and knees.

Like Betty Davis said, ' Old age ain't for sissies'. *L*
February 28, 2013 at 5:30AM     
creeser
roo, thanks for the overstretching warning. That was something I learned in yoga. Only go as far as you can. Guess I really need to kick my lazy behind back into yoga. That would really help all my whiney aches and pains.
February 28, 2013 at 5:31AM     
olldroo
Concrete and tiles are very unforgiving on the body, particularly joints and ageing ones at that. When we extended for the master bedroom we had to do slab on ground but I have always had good carpet and underlay so it does help cushion it and it has never bothered me.

I can understand you getting arthritis where you broke your foot, but I wouldn't have thought that would inflame the achilles tendon. The only thing is unless it is affecting the tunnel the achilles tendon runs through at the heel which is then rubbing on the tendon and causing the inflammation. If that is the case, they may be able to clean the arthritis out like they can do with knees.

Astraea, I also have low thyroid and apparently that can cause tenderness to the bottom of the feet too. I used to love to wear those spiky massage sandals, I lived in them at home and in the garden but one day I put them on and it was absolute agony, I felt like I was walking on a bed of nails. Sounds like I was got at on 2 counts.
February 28, 2013 at 5:49AM   
Did I miss a Nancy Reagan discussion?
February 28, 2013 at 5:54AM   
astraea
Roo - A couple of years ago I fell, fracturing the pinky toe & spraining my ankle. A month in a "boot", and another month in "sturdy shoes". Then I went back to walking again, on the boardwalk by the beach. It was summer, so sometimes I wore running shoes, but others I wore my Merrel Sandals. I probably overdid it .. if a little walking is good, twice a day is better! Within 2 weeks, I could hardly walk on the foot with the old injury .. and it turned out to be a strain to my Achilles Tendon, from walking without the proper supportive shoes!

I bought those Dr. Scholls sandals years ago, but never got used to them. More recently, Dr. Oz mentioned a spikey pad (Halsa Mat) to lay on, and I love it! It only works because your weight is spread out over the pad .. like a bed of nails!
February 28, 2013 at 6:06AM   
Astraea, you LAY on that mat? I don't understand, what's the purpose? It looks like torture!
February 28, 2013 at 6:33AM   
astraea
It works like accupressure: http://www.halsamat.com/pages/About.html. This was another article I found online:

"A Swedish must-have, the Halsa Mat is an accupressure mat that has just been brought to the U.S. market. In less than one year’s time, Asylum has created an explosive media campaign for the Halsa Mat generating thousands of sales and at one point a complete sell-out with a three month long waiting list.

Through the PR campaign, the previously unheard of product has made an enormous splash as a natural health trend. The Halsa Mat has been featured on Dr. Oz and given away to his entire audience, heralded in the Wall Street Journal, adored by Kathy Lee on the fourth hour of the Today Show and gushed over by the hosts of the CBS Early Show."
February 28, 2013 at 6:59AM     
janishill
The best exercise I have found for planter fasciitus is to really stretch my foot. I used bands, but they were of little effect...so what I do now is put my foor against the base of the vanity cabinet and move my body forward so the foot is at a sharp angle. I use the vanity because it is a convenient place. I also stand with my toes on the edge of a step and go down as far as I can and raise back up. Between the two exercises my foot is better, thoguh it has not been pain free in almost 2 years now.

Eztia...I sincerely hope I haven't hurt your feelings. I truly did not intend to. And I hope I didn't come across as rude and offensive to anyone. Please accept my apologies if I did.
February 28, 2013 at 7:41AM   
creeser
janis, starting to stretch regularly. Which reminds me to toss a water bottle in the freezer to follow roo's example of using it to roll under your foot when you sit. Do you wear special brand of shoes or just anything as long as you stretch? I've always been a huge fan of Keds, but they offer little to nothing in the way of arch support.
February 28, 2013 at 10:20AM   
astraea
I miss the yoga class I went to in north Jersey; the instructor spoiled us! It was in her nice clean home on a carpeted floor, and she had all the mats, pillows, blocks, straps & other stuff you might need .. and you didn't have to buy or haul things back & forth!
February 28, 2013 at 2:38PM   
olldroo
Janis, standing on a step and lowering my heel was the best stretch and that was what I did at the gym on the power plate. The added effect of the vibration was, to me, akin to the ultrasound and what I think did the trick. The improvement after a week was amazing, all the pain was basically gone and I just kept icing and stretching each morning before I got out of bed for another week and that was it.

BTW, while we are talking health issues, we are currently being blasted on TV of all the wonderful benefits of taking Wild Krill Oil for arthritis. It is really dangerous as it is a blood thinner and can literally turn your blood to water. Don't know how they get away with this advertising.
February 28, 2013 at 6:37PM   
OLLD 2/7
Morning all! Have you seen this ideabook, it's new...
Will a new 27 inch oven fit in a wall that is 27 1/2 inches wide?
Have searched and searched but not found specific answer....
OLLD 5/27
Finally Memorial Day! Thought I'd start with this photo...
OLLD - 3/27
Morning Hens & Roosters! Anything jump out at you,...
OLLD 11/27......
It's a beautiful day here.........but cold (24 degrees...
Need help finishing tiling half wall.
I am tiling bathroom wall halfway up. The wall itself...
Paint first or decorate first?
My dilemma is, do I paint now when my painter can fit...
Ultra-modern style for empty Master Bedroom walls
Just got rid of Queen Anne mahogany poster bedroom...
New sofa style
I need help with choosing a sofa for our open plan...
Please help design my kitchen!!
Hi, I currently have a 3.3m x 3.7m kitchen. I'd like...