Need help with my apartment.
viclia
I have a small one bedroom apartment in a new building. It's so tiny, that I have no idea how to design it. We are a family of 3 people and i would like to have a small separate bedroom for a child and 2 adults a living room and a small kitchen. On the plan here you can see green walls which I can destroy and red ones which I can't. The blue points are hot and cold water pipes. The problem is that I live in a country with strict rules so it is impossible to replace a kitchen, a bathroom or a bedroom, so I can only make them bigger or smaller. I had an idea (the 2nd picture), but being on the constraction site realized, that there is no window near the balcony door and the pipes in the corner. If I followed my plan it would be too dark in living room and it would be too narrow. Could anyone help me find a solution?
Thanks in advance.
P.s. Hidden closets, storages and loft beds are wellcome in any style )
Eagledzines
A loft bed for the child's room is a great idea. Sounds like you're well on your way to finding solutions.

I would consider not changing the living room at all but instead installing a murphy bed that folds down or a sofa bed that would do double duty--a bed and a couch. The advantage of a murphy bed is that you can leave your blankets on them whereas maybe not on a sofa bed.

Another option, if you wanted a separate bed, would be to have a wooden or wooden/cloth room divider that you could put away when you got up. You can find them in different price ranges and sizes. Or there is a more permanent one that is an installed sliding door called a Shoji screen. That might help to solve the light issue.

If you decide to go with a bed and can afford to have one built, you could have the base made that was two drawers high and then just put a mattress on top of it with no box spring. A shelf above the bed could hold the things you would have used for a night stand--a clock, etc. Cabinets can be used above the shelf to hold clothing and other items as well. Of course cabinets can be placed above the sink and toilet and above the base cabinets in the kitchen.

Perhaps this is an idea you could use in the kitchen. http://learning-to-b-me.blogspot.com/2011/03/cabinet-diy-completed-and-tutorial.html

http://www.murphybedpros.com/murphy-bed-choices-choices-choices/ http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/room-dividers-c-21_128.html http://demo.luxuryworld.in/screens/screens_folding_decorative.htm http://www.seattlecustomshoji.com/Room_Dividers.htm http://www.markcorliss.com/doors.html
February 27, 2013 at 6:53pm   
viclia
Thanks a lot for your attention to my topic. I've never heard about Shoji screen and I'll definitely find a place for it in my apartment )
Yesterday I worked on another design plan for this apartment. I decided to cut some kitchen space and replace bedroom there. My idea about this apartment to make people different ages, genders and marital status feel comfortable there. It will be a panoramic window on the balcony with nice view to the park and sunset (good for singles or young couples).
Small kitchen is in a spanish style, but I haven't decided yet how it would look like.
I love the idea about murphy bed as well. And in my next aparment I'll do it ). But I have a small child and I need to keep his winter-summer stuff somewhere, so have to think about hidden closets, like under adult's bed.
In my new bedroom plan there is an adult bed on a wooden podium ( like here
) and instead of drawers I think to do the child's place. May be it will be a slide out bed underneath on podium as well and when it won't be needed to put a small table for morning breakfast instead of child's mattress.

What do you think?
Is the any idea how to make the illusion of bigger space on walls or ceilings in livingroom and bedroom?
February 28, 2013 at 5:31am   
viclia
And thanks with the idea where to keep spises in the kitchen. I'll do it near the fridge.
February 28, 2013 at 6:48am   
Eagledzines
You have done an exceptional job!!

If you could hang wall cabinets that would give you more storage as well. And if you hung them over the island, you could use glass doors on both sides so as not to block the light any more than necessary. Using light colors on the walls will also make it appear more roomy, as well using mirrors. If you tried placing the mirror so that it reflected the natural light it would help. You could also put drawers in the toe kick area under the base cabinets where there is no plumbing.
February 28, 2013 at 7:16am     
viclia
Thanks for the advice, I'll think what can I do with it,
I would appreciate if you give me some examples, because it's a bit difficult to imagine how it would look like ( I mean drawers).
February 28, 2013 at 7:37am   
joanbllt
What if you made the platform bed area just for the child - Then you could get a wall bed that also was a sofa. Then the platform area could be slightly smaller or have storage at the foot of the child's bed. and the adults could have a separate area across the room.

This is just one type of wallbed/sofa that might work.
http://www.sicoinc.com/247wallbed.php

another source http://www.commercialwallbedsystems.com/wall-beds-for-the-hospitality-industry/sofa-beds/

Cupboards could be built around the bed cupboard,

Both sleeping areas would receive ventilation. Don't know how long you might be there - but children grow - do allow for that.

There is also a bed/desk combination that might serve as a child's bed in the nook near the kitchen and have the dual purpose of creating a work area.
This just an example http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bostonwallbeds.com/modules/AxialRealisation/img_repository/files/images/Hiddenbed%2520Bed-Desk%2520Combo%2520-%2520web.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.bostonwallbeds.com/&h=372&w=698&sz=43&tbnid=xI-CzdDlebXuEM:&tbnh=62&tbnw=116&zoom=1&usg=__pRHtEZx4_6JicgzbHRmoqGiKmnk=&docid=d-_EXLmF73fkQM&sa=X&ei=F8AvUcz3J6muigL1mIH4BA&ved=0CGMQ9QEwAQ&dur=3808

I'm not sure what climate you live in, but ventilation and light are important considerations - If you live in a warm climate, that cosy platform corner might be stuffy and very warm.
February 28, 2013 at 12:31pm   
viclia
You are right. I forgot about heating radiators and ventilation. I have to figure this out( e.g. an air conditioner). I understand that it's just for 2-3 years, then it will be not enough space for us. It's more like a future investment. Probably, I'll change our bed to a desk/bed if I rent this apartment out. Also I can do a mini desk/bed for my child. He can draw there as well. Thanks for the idea!
February 28, 2013 at 4:26pm   
Eagledzines
Depending on where your vents/radiators are there may be another way to handle this. Ductwork could be placed under the bedding area to redirect the intake/outtake. A grille is placed in the woodwork for the ducting. It might be under the bottom drawer in a toe area or on the side.
March 1, 2013 at 8:23am   
viclia
I decided to do smth similar to

A murphy bed-table (140X70) for my child is instead of the window on the photo and an average bed-sofa(150x200) is instead of the bed. Storages are from the right and above. So I'll save some space inside of the room and the kitchen will be not to small, I hope.
March 2, 2013 at 4:08am     
joanbllt
Hopefully this will work out for you using the furniture that has multiple uses - since it is likely that adults and child do not have the same bedtime, would it be possible to have a folding screen at that corner - during the day the area would be open and then closed to minimize light and some sound.

Murphy bed are expensive. However you may buy the mechanisms and build the beds yourself for the child's bed. The sofa/bed probably not.
March 2, 2013 at 10:48am     
viclia
I was thinking about the screen, but the room is so tiny (2500x2300) that it will be too cramped there if i do it. I think dark roller blinds on windows will help. And I also have the living room.
March 2, 2013 at 2:07pm   
joanbllt
This plan is derived from yours. It shows both the sofa and the green footprint of the adult bed. It also shows both the fold down child's bed and a similar size table(in green) and folding chairs. The screen is folding and would attach to the corner by the windows - Your shoji screen perhaps. Cupboards could be added under the main window and to the short wall opposite the sofa. The short wall would be a good place for TV
March 3, 2013 at 12:45am     
viclia
It's too expensive to have 2 murphy beds. My thoughts that your plan is suitable for comfortable living of 1 or 2 people. And I would like to have some private space where I can be with my child. Then I hope I'll move to a new apartment )
I noticed that you've changed the bathroom door. I think it's a good idea.
March 3, 2013 at 3:15pm   
Eagledzines
Is the air conditioning central or is it a stand alone unit?
March 3, 2013 at 5:53pm   
joanbllt
Ideas are just ideas, viclia. If they don't work for you - thats okay. I wish I had more to offer you, but if i come up with something less expensive, I'll chime in.
March 4, 2013 at 12:34am   
viclia
Ok, thanks. I have time to think anyway.
The air conditioning is not central. But we have central heating.
March 4, 2013 at 2:01pm   
joanbllt
Also space saving - and far less expensive is a futon bed - Ikea has some
March 4, 2013 at 4:31pm     
Becca Owens
Excuse the poor quality-I used a tracing app so dimensions are not accurate at all. The red lines are pocket doors/ sliding doors/screens (perhaps see IKEA)
This creates an extra "room" for your child but could be used as desk area as well (it's a loft bed) or have a wardrobe beneath which can be turned full height when renting out in the future. Unfortunately, I have gotten rid of the bath but if you can source it, you can have a shower which would need to be stepped into as to create a mini bath
March 11, 2013 at 11:56am   
viclia
The problem is that we have a shared lobby for several apartments with elevators just close to our apartment. And the wall between is very thin. So it can be too noisy there. But may be I can do the bathroom smaller and it'll be a small space for the desk area there. I'd like to have storages in that corner as well, because I need to keep winter/summer stuff somewhere.
March 14, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Eagledzines
You can get sound absorbers to put on the wall here: http://www.acousticsfirst.com/
March 14, 2013 at 4:09pm   
Need help for my new apartment. REALLY NEED!!!!!!!
Can you help me to organize this all-purpose room :...
Need help for living room in my new apartment!!
Hi all, I just purchashed a new apartment in Bogota,...
Need help in doing interiors in my new apartment
Hi, I am from India. I have purchased a new apartment...
Need help for the design of my new apartment
Hi, My name is Sabina, theer has been weeks since I...
Need Wall Lighting Suggestions for Kitchen
We have just moved into a new house and I am trying...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...
Feature wall paint
I need to re-paint the walls. What colour scheme should...
Three Bathrooms in the house using same tile and cabinet combination?
Is it good idea to use the same wall & floor tile and...
Outlet placement
How far about the countertop should electrical outlets...