Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_32989

Need help finishing back splash

Carol Zinn Eldridge
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Just had this backsplash installed but it doesn't go completely to the edge under the cupboards! Any suggestions how to finish the edge? The space is not the same width all the way along.
Any feed back would be appreciated
Thanks
C.E.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Creatrix
    11 years ago
    Carol — love the stone but not understanding from your pictures what you are attempting to solve? Could you take some more pics?
  • skaiser1951
    11 years ago
    Did you do the installation or did you hire someone? If you hired, I would hold back payment until they fix this tile and provide some solution. Maybe it's the perspective of the photo, but it appears that there was no plumb line, and hence the tiles are not mounted straight, resulting in the inconsistent gap at the top. This should have been started with plumb and level lines, at the counter surface and taking up irregularity with cuts along the top where they wouldn't show and would take up the gap as well. If you can't get satisfaction from the installer, maybe you can get some closely matched caulk and fill in the gap. Thank goodness it is unobtrusive under the cabinets.
  • skaiser1951
    11 years ago
    By the way, the stone is very nice. I'll bet it made a huge change in the appearance of your kitchen!
  • Carol Zinn Eldridge
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    trying to post more pictures but they keep coming back to the ones already posted, anyway, yes I did hire someone to do the job, I laid out the tiles how I wanted them on the counter, as I was not able to be here when they were done. So the installer just installed them how I laid them out, and did not consider putting them to the edge under the cabinets!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    It shouldn't matter if you were there to supervise or not- he needs to fix this at his cost. You can cover it with quarter round molding, but you should have to do that.
  • blstafford
    11 years ago
    This is NOT a complete job! This blows me away on the laziness of that installer! They did not want to take the time to cut the stone to fit that small line you have left. I would not put anything else in there to 'fix' the problem. They should be held to the responsibility to leave you with a fully completed backsplash! I work as the designer in a tile and stone showroom and I just do not believe this is real! Definitely call this person back. Definitely keep these pictures. And definitely demand they return to complete this to make it right and how it should have been from the beginning!

*Besides the point, but is the top unfinished edge even straight? It looks like it is not in comparison to the bottom of your upper cabinet line. Just another shocking observation.

I wish you luck with this issue!
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Exactly - your tiler didn't tile it properly and should come back and fix this - which means ripping it out and doing it again.

Sorry - no other way - good luck with that.
  • Carol Zinn Eldridge
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the feedback, got a hold of the tiler and he is coming back!
  • anneinthegarden
    11 years ago
    If that does not work you might like to install narrow strip lighting...
  • fayvel82
    11 years ago
    P
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    11 years ago
    In case you could not get the tile setter to redo this and will need to find a work around;
    Does the top cabinets have a light valance molding? If not, installing it would effectively lower the front lip of your top cabinets helping to hide this deficiency. This can be further helped by a double bottom for the top cabinets (this is done often to hide under cabinet light fixtures and the seam between top cabinet boxes - one of which is visible in your picture).
    As for tile centered solutions - small cut pieces could be installed / grouted to fill in the space, a metal trim could be used or a tile trim pice.
    If the tile setter is willing to work with you and tear this done and re do, be mindful that this can cause more damage. Demolition work around brand new cabinets and counter (and probably sink, faucet and appliances) is a prescription for disaster. EVERYTHING must be thoroughly protected and great care should betake during the demolition and debris removal operations.
    Best of luck!
  • Carol Zinn Eldridge
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The installer called me and said he was coming to finish the job, but it has been two weeks and no sign of him yet! GRRRR! |Going to try again this weekend, might have to do some major yelling at him, not happy that's for sure! Thanks for all your help
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    I often find that it is the callbacks for little details that cost the most effort! I spend a lot of time supervising work to ensure it is done just right but if I miss a trick, I know the pain will be getting the tradesman to come out for one little fix...
    I feel your pain.