Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannongoldsmith

What color should I paint my bedroom walls?

Shannon Goldsmith
11 years ago
Hi Guys,

I have a really colorful Anthropologie quilt (see below) and I have no idea what to paint my bedroom walls. I do not want something boring like plain white walls, but I also do not want anything over the top with color or too bright- the quilt takes that place already!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (28)

• floydrina
    11 years ago
    Have cream or a pale colour so your bed can take centre stage
  • PRO
    Andee Photography Fine Art And Digital Design
    11 years ago
    I agree with picking a color from the spread ad taking it as light as you can. A soft creamy yellow or a soft rose with a hint of grey would like nice. See if you can get some paint chips and match them in the softer tones with your spread.
  • PRO
    Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would do a light grey or blue shade so the walls do not over power the energetic quilt.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Take any colour from this quilt and pick a lighter hue - deep blue - go for a light grey blue; green - go for a muted green etc etc - this will echo the bed, but by having an undertone of greys in your wall paint you will let your bedcover do the talking.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    I'd find the least amount of one tone that you really want - being that the pattern is very loud, I'd juxtapose it with a soft gray-lavendar tone on your walls - then I'd pair your bedding with a crisp white sheet set and a funky white side chair. Have fun with your nightstands - but thoughtfully mix in that very important white to keep it crisp and fresh - good luck!
  • dorri
    11 years ago
    I think white walls will make your bed really take center stage- keep the whole room in whites...It will be very fresh!.
  • Paul F.
    11 years ago
    Light grey... so even the bit of white in your quilt will stand out.
  • britstan
    11 years ago
    i think green or purple with white accessories
  • PRO
    auburn gallery/epic interiors
    11 years ago
    there are several considerations to take into account, like what is your bed frame like ( wood, metal. etc ) and what is on the floor ? Carpet or hardwood and what color? Also are there existing window treatments? I think the floor is going to factor into what color you will paint.
  • Shannon Goldsmith
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have medium hardwood floors, white wood furniture (including bedframe), a bay window with no treatments (just plain blinds), and white wainscoting throughout the room.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Post a picture of your room for us...
  • PRO
    auburn gallery/epic interiors
    11 years ago
    judging by my monitor the closest color I can come to to compliment the purple tones in your quilt that would look great with white is a Benjamin Moore color called misty lilac 2071-70 but if you would like a little cooler mauve that hints on grey tones than check out Whisper Violet 2070-70 both by BM good luck
  • Suzanne Hills/Gruich
    11 years ago
    Sage green it's soothing and its kind of a color like the outdoors which goes with theme of flowers.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    11 years ago
    Oh wow...I love that quilt!!.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    11 years ago
    I would go with soft colors to let the bedding be the centerpiece of the room.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    11 years ago
    Can you tell me where you got that quilt from?
  • Shannon Goldsmith
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to go with a grey-purple. :)

Angelina, I got the quilt from Anthropologie about a year ago. I'm not sure it they still sell it, but you can probably find it on other websites. It's called Lush. Below is a link to the Anthropologie bedding section- all of their quilts are just as cute!

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/category/bedding/home-bedding.jsp

EDIT: It's under their sale section- even better!
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    I think a soft peach color on the walls would really make the quilt stand out, and warm the walls without overpowering the quilt. You are right, white in this case would look like the room is not finished or you still haven't picked a color. Show us pics when you are done!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I selected this inspiration photo for the bright multi-colored bedding juxtaposed against a light, sunny yellow. You couldn't be in a bad mood in this cheerful room!
    Lakelyn · More Info
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    I'd keep working on this, but I have to run. Don't think I've found the answers yet, except that I like the tree stump with it.
  • wanicat
    11 years ago
    try Benjamin Moore, Edgecombe Grey.
  • Monica Stachielczyk
    11 years ago
    I would go to your paint store and get a Benjamin Moore fan set. Fan it out on your bed and pick a color from the quilt, but go a little lighter. Looks like you could go with light peach or pale lavendar. Color plays on color and will draw out more color from the quilt. Peach would be a warm color; lavendar would be a cool color. If you live up North, pick a warm color; if you live down South, pick a cool color.
  • Cathy Welman_Nolan
    11 years ago
    I'd pick my favourite colour from the quilt and match it on an accent wall behind the bed. Then white for the rest with the odd bright for interest (for example, a lampshade or small piece of art). Keep the window treatments simple.
  • hbc0804
    11 years ago
    I love this!!! I would do either a light gray, light purple, or light blue! Hope I helped :)
  • Leann
    11 years ago
    White!!
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    11 years ago
    Thank you Shannon...I went straight to it...kind size is sold out! BOO!

I am going to look around and see if I can find it somewhere else...it is so happy looking.

A purple gray will create a nicely serene look. It never heard to try a color out on the wall, do a spot and see how it looks. I think the biggest thing with a gray purple is that it is not so dark that it completely make your room look small.
  • Sue M
    11 years ago
    Go neutral pale gray, tan or something very muted....let the bedspread explode and be your painting on the wall...the focus!
Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz