NEED YOUR HELP CONTEMPORARY DESIGNERS!
Stephanie Robles
I have only bought the living set and the couches are white. My kitchen, dinging, and living is an all open space. My kitchen cabinets are brown. what colors should i mix in to make it function? What color should i buy my dining set? BTW my floors are not hardwood as in the pic they are tile, but everything else is the same. HELP PLEASE!
floydrina
You could maybe add some natural colours
February 27, 2013 at 10:00AM   
blstafford
If you are wanting a more contemporary look, I would refinish the island in a black to make it more bold and contrast but still tie into the counter and appliances. I would add an exciting glass mosaic backsplash because you don't have too much space that it would be too over powering. Fun stools for the overhang on the island in metal or black. Same for the dining set, black, metal with glass top, leather tall back upholstered chairs, basically just clean lines and solid colors would mesh best. You also definitely want to change the lighting in the space to match the same style.

Good Luck!
February 27, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Debbie Crane
Glass tile backsplash,then choose your paint to coordinate....thinking warm buttery yellows that would enhance your cabinets. Dining set in a rich cherry wood with black leather Parson chairs and walls the same as the kitchen.....would like to see a photo of your livingroom to make suggestions!
February 27, 2013 at 11:36AM   
Sterling Renovations
Hi Stephanie! You have a great start with the contemporary handles on the cabinets and the steel appliances. With your brown cabinets, and white sofas, you can blend white, brown and black together for a contemporary look. An idea is to paint the island white or off white, I can’t tell if the counters are white or off white with the black. That will tie in with your sofas and backsplash in the kitchen. Consider a fun light fixture over the dining room table that will bring in a contemporary feel and contemporary accessories in white or black can bring it all together. Have fun!
February 27, 2013 at 12:07PM   
Stephanie Robles
What color rug should i place under my white couch&loveseat?
I was thinking some grey chairs for my living room as well?
February 28, 2013 at 7:59AM   
Stephanie Robles
Thanks guys! (:
February 28, 2013 at 7:59AM   
Stephanie Robles
This is close to the couch&loveseat that I am getting
February 28, 2013 at 8:03AM   
Sterling Renovations
Gorgeous! I like the lines of this sofa, it'll definitely give you the look you are going for. If you look on WestElm.com they have some contemporary gray rugs with patterns. I'll attach some photos in a bit to give you some ideas.
February 28, 2013 at 4:36PM     
ModaScapes Interior Design
Great news! There aren't any colors that won't go in this neutral background. Pick a color that makes your heart sing! A warm green would look amazing here.
February 28, 2013 at 4:42PM     
Sterling Renovations
As promised, here are some ideas to play with if you go with gray and white furniture. From West Elm, this is the Ikat Links rug to give you an idea for pattern. The other examples are with a neutral rug, bringing out color in your accessories and pillows. Yellow is also a great color with gray and white. Enjoy!
February 28, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Debbie Crane
I'm thinking chocolate and blue with your white furniture! Make sure you post photos of the finished rooms!
February 28, 2013 at 8:06PM     
Stephanie Robles
I was thinking to place some gray chairs with my white couches, for the dining i was thinking of painting a wall brown and have a glass table with blue chairs? or should i paint the wall gray and a glass table with brown chairs? What do yall think??
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE FEEDBACK!
March 1, 2013 at 8:32AM   
Debbie Crane
Forget the brown wall and blue chairs!! Since your kitchen is open to the diningroom you need to tie them together with paint color.Glass top table will give you the contemporary feel you want!
March 1, 2013 at 9:24AM   
For really contemporary -you could paint your walls a lovely green. This will add richness to your cabinets and work with the white in the granite. (I am trying to work with what you have rather than suggesting massive changes)

Working on a palette of deep brown (like those cabinets) vivid green and white - you will have a very contemporary look. Introducing some very on trend geometric patterns into your cushions, carpet and accents in white and green with furniture or some features in brown will tie it all together and be daring and unusual

Katie Ridder Rooms
Transitional Family Kitchen
Los Gatos Townhouse
laura britt design
Green Paint
March 1, 2013 at 9:31AM     
Stephanie Robles
I was thinking 2 chairs similar to this for living space? What do yall think?
March 1, 2013 at 11:17AM   
Stephanie Robles
this is the dining table im in love with. What color chairs should I do?
March 1, 2013 at 11:34AM   
Anina Lavina
I think your ceiling light is in the wrong position. ( You are working in your own shadow all the time! Move it over the island. You might like to have a nice light fitting, suspended over the island with a dimmer switch to be able to create different moods. Bright, when you working on it, dimmed when eating there... I do like the idea of painting all the cabinets black gloss, as well as the tiles! I would get rid of the handles, and have no handles at all. I would use touch catch opening systems for a cleaner look.
March 1, 2013 at 12:06PM     
lastplace
I think you should pick a few colours in gray, green/gray, green and any other colour in the granite that appeals to you. Lay them all out on the granite and see which one says YES with the granite, cabinets and flooring. Colours that don't blend will be obvious right away. Your granite, being the large WOW in your room, should be your jumping off point since since your cabinets and couch are neutral. I love your dining table and chairs you picked out. Why not have 4 different coloured chairs, all rich bold colours similar to the picture. I've tried it before, loved it and had an amazing response to it.
March 1, 2013 at 6:39PM     
Stephanie Robles
heres some other views of my apt. i really cant change anything thats already there so i have to try to work with what i got.. The only difference is that in this pic it shows hardwood floors my apartment is all tile like the entry. I REALLY NEED HELP?
March 4, 2013 at 10:11AM   
lastplace
What suggestions have you liked so far? Have you picked any colors yet?
March 4, 2013 at 5:15PM   
Stephanie Robles
Im need step by steps lol Im really not good at this. No i havent picked out any colors yet but i know thay i do want to stay in the misture of some neutral colors because i think that looks best with a contemporary style home? I just want contemporary/modern styles and im just not sure how to put it all together to make it flow and look good with my kitchen lastplace?
March 5, 2013 at 8:01AM   
Jayme H.
@Interiors International...this is one for you! You are so good with this style!!
March 5, 2013 at 8:20AM     
A Crew of Two
What size is that dining table? It seems small for the space. Otherwise, I really like the look. You said you like the gray colors- you can do almost any color with gray. Yellow and green are the now trend, but teals or choose many shades of blues....what do you gravitate towards. I love corals with gray, too. Are you doing a back splash? I would do something neutral if you are just renting. I think the space needs some warming up with some natural materials, sisal rug maybe? Or choose a natural looking fabric for windows. Add some geometric fabrics for contemporary feel. Artful Urban Loft House on the Lake Family Room Admiral's House
March 5, 2013 at 8:45AM     
Stephanie Robles
could you post a pic of some natural looking fabric for the windows? So what color should i paint my walls? Should i paint just one wall, maybe the wall in the dining room?
March 5, 2013 at 11:32AM   
Stephanie Robles
And the fireplace is kinda awkward right there in the corner, how do i make that work?
March 5, 2013 at 11:34AM   
A Crew of Two
I would paint that wall an accent color to make it pop. A table to the right of it with a mirror over it maybe. On the mantle I would place collectables- nothing too high. What colors are you drawn to...did any of the the above rooms catch your eye?
March 5, 2013 at 11:40AM   
Stephanie Robles
or should i do the wall where the fireplace is?
March 5, 2013 at 11:40AM     
Stephanie Robles
the funky providence apartment and admirals house did
March 5, 2013 at 11:44AM   
Stephanie Robles
i was thinking of placing my tv to the right of the fireplace, would that work?
March 5, 2013 at 11:46AM   
Stephanie Robles
what color should i paint that wall?
March 5, 2013 at 11:47AM   
Stephanie Robles
thanks for the suggestions they are really helping kklinton
March 5, 2013 at 11:51AM   
A Crew of Two
you are welcome...I personally do not like TVs near the FP...just me. If you place the sofa with the back to the dining area you can put the TV on the opposite wall. Place a sofa table behind it to create a 'wall' between the rooms and set space boundaries.
March 5, 2013 at 11:59AM   
Stephanie Robles
Ok so place two chairs Infront of the fireplace, my loveseat Infront of the dining room, and my couch Infront of my backyard sliding doors? Or correct me if I'm wrong
March 5, 2013 at 2:07PM   
A Crew of Two
Two chairs in front of the patio door for easier in and out. And then your sofa and loveseat in an L shape. Sofa facing FP, loveseat to the right of the sofa...hope that makes sense
March 5, 2013 at 3:05PM   
Stephanie Robles
So where am I gonna place my tv?
March 5, 2013 at 4:12PM   
Stephanie Robles
Oh I was just gonna go with your suggestion of not doing it that way? Lol sorry, do you think it would look nice there?
March 5, 2013 at 4:29PM   
A Crew of Two
This is a drawing assuming your room is 14 x 14
March 5, 2013 at 4:42PM     
Stephanie Robles
Yea that could work, wish I could place the tv somewhere else it does look kinda weird there. Thanks so much for that drawing its a huge help! Is there another way I could do it?
March 5, 2013 at 4:48PM   
A Crew of Two
Is this room size correct?
March 5, 2013 at 4:55PM   
Stephanie Robles
Yea that sounds about right
March 5, 2013 at 4:59PM   
A Crew of Two
The only other option I see is to eliminate the two chairs and put the TV to the left of the door. I think you would need a low entertainment center though. Love fireplaces, but they complicate floor plans. I think any way you do it the room will be gorgeous!
March 5, 2013 at 5:08PM   
Stephanie Robles
Yea especially for ppl like me lol I guess I rather just do the tv by the fireplace. You think I should buy white natural fabric curtains for my dining room? The chairs are gonna be brown and the table glass? Should I place a rug under the table too or just in the living room?
March 5, 2013 at 5:12PM   
A Crew of Two
do you have a pic of the windows?
March 5, 2013 at 5:16PM   
Stephanie Robles
I just have the one window in the dining room
March 5, 2013 at 5:18PM   
A Crew of Two
Did you order the table in the pic above...i am in love with it, too
March 5, 2013 at 5:21PM   
Stephanie Robles
Not yet I'm going to go look at it next week and then buy it.
March 5, 2013 at 5:23PM   
A Crew of Two
I love the rug under it in the pic.....if you did a white rug, I would do something more interesting for the windows. Did you pic an accent color or are going completely neutral?
March 5, 2013 at 5:26PM   
Stephanie Robles
I was thinking maybe green? Or turquoise? Not sure yet
March 5, 2013 at 5:30PM   
A Crew of Two
ideas for curtains- these are fabrics I love
March 5, 2013 at 5:55PM     
Stephanie Robles
Ooo I love all of those!
March 5, 2013 at 5:57PM     
Stephanie Robles
kelly where did you find the green and gray flowery curtains?
March 20, 2013 at 11:18AM   
A Crew of Two
I believe Crate and Barrel
March 20, 2013 at 11:20AM     
Stephanie Robles
thank you!
March 20, 2013 at 12:11PM   
Stephanie Robles
I UPDATED PICS!!
April 3, 2013 at 12:25PM   
aurorasgifts
I have the green in that curtain on my walls chartreuse here is a pic I know my taste in color is a bit extreme but so you can see the wall color
April 3, 2013 at 12:38PM     
Holly Anderson Fine Art
these are a few colors that are inspired by the beautiful hues of nature that would fit what you have pictured here:
EARTH, V09, afmsafecoat.com
RED EARTH, 64, farrow-ball.com
AUTUMN COVER, 2170-30, potterybarn.com
DEAD GRASS, CPP1 70, peacockpaint.com
SUNBAKED EARTH, KM3616-5, kellymoore.com
SHADED PATH, FA051, homedepot.com
RURAL EARTH, 1239, benjaminmoore.com
April 3, 2013 at 12:47PM     
A Crew of Two
I don't see the pics...I'm dying to see them!
April 3, 2013 at 12:54PM   
Stephanie Robles
@ aurorasgifts that room looks spectacular! I love it
April 4, 2013 at 8:12AM   
Stephanie Robles
@ Kelly the pics are on a new discussion that i created
April 4, 2013 at 8:12AM   
Please help!!! Design help needed for a contemporary bedroom.
I have purchased a few key pieces. Any ideas on lighting,...
New Patio - Modern/Contemporary design help needed
Ok figured I'd give this a go. love the website so...
Need contemporary kitchen design help in Chicago on hourly basis.
My timetable for finalizing decisions about remodeling...
need help mixing contemporary and traditional designs
this is my couch it is contemp but my dining room...
Need help designing your new kitchen? Building 9 can help!
Bring us your room measurements for a FREE digital...
kitchen nook suggestions needed
I have attached a picture of my kitchen nook. I have...
Kitchen question
My kitchen was updated about 10 years ago by previous...
Choosing the right size sink and vanity
I'm doing a bathroom remodel. I've chosen a large sink...
What ONE thing do you hope your guests won't notice?
I envy the people who's homes are perfect and guest-ready...
Need help with wall color to go with my travertine floor
I'm renovating my master bath and having hard time...