What about the beams ?
ddbermond
We added these beams to cover up the differance between the new sheetroock ceiling and the old. Does it look wrong ??
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
yes, especially the use of one beam (front to back) creates a very awkward situation. Also the upper kitchen cabinets should touch the ceiling or be lower --that small space above the cabinets does not work.
February 27, 2013 at 12:46pm     
Ironwood Builders
I think they look OK...I'd like to see more. The current 'tee' shape is a little spare. If you center one over the sink and one equidistant over the slider, parallel to the one between the cabinet and the slider, then run a small trim around the wall to ceiling and beam to ceiling corner it would perhaps look more organized and finished.
February 27, 2013 at 12:48pm     
carole
to make it work just put another beam up and make it the same in both rooms,that will look much better
February 27, 2013 at 12:50pm     
Ironwood Builders
Tagging along on pyramids idea, adding a piece to the top of the cabinets and then crown to the ceiling, continuing the crown onto the beams and walls...that will really finish the ceiling off.
February 27, 2013 at 12:50pm     
ddbermond
would it look better without the crown ?
February 27, 2013 at 1:02pm     
auburn gallery
If your intention was to highlight the ceiling you have achieved that. As the space isnt really going to benefit from coffered ceilings I would paint it out because from this photo it is just bringing the room down on top of you. I would also paint out the bottom of the island and this would lighten up the room.
February 27, 2013 at 1:28pm   
Tracy Stone AIA
You might consider dropping the whole ceiling in the section over the cabinets, to cover the beam over the bar. This would allow the longer beam to be singular, and thus have a more dramatic effect, and the cabinets would then touch the ceiling and feel more integrated.
February 27, 2013 at 5:04pm     
Grayling Construction
Get a better drywall contractor to fix your ceiling. Then you won't have to have any beams.
February 27, 2013 at 5:25pm     
MHA Home Services
I absolutely agree with Grayling. You went through a lot of exercise to create a look that appears only as means to fix a mistake. A good drywall contractor can make it right. Good luck with your project.
February 27, 2013 at 5:31pm   
nevadan
It looks fine. Leave it alone or you will make it worse.
February 28, 2013 at 8:44am   
macrury
I agree with Grayling and MHA...a bandaid to fix a booboo...re-do the ceiling and re-open up the space. You could probably keep the longer beam separating the rooms, but paint it white like the ceiling.
February 28, 2013 at 8:49am   
Eagledzines
Since you already have the beams, I would suggest painting them white as auburn gallery pointed out making them blend with the ceiling. I would leave the island the same as the rest of the cabinets since the kitchen already looks small. I would want the island to blend with the cabinets making the kitchen look larger. Since you can't lower the cabinets, Ironwood's idea of adding a fascia board and crown to the ceiling is a good one. Since this is a renovation, if the ceiling to floor measurement has changed due to settling or if it's just out of square, the difference can be taken up in the fascia board, keeping the crown to the ceiling.

A good drywall contractor most likely would have suggested you do the whole ceiling over, since as you've probably learned, the seams need to join at factory seems in order not to show because they are beveled at the seem to accept the mud. Just a point for future reference. In lieu of that, without funds for that expense, the beams were a good idea with the above suggestions.
March 1, 2013 at 11:11am   
Brenda Sjoberg
If you feel that they stick out like a sore thumb, paint them the same colour as the ceiling, than they are not so noticeable.
March 5, 2013 at 5:43am   
MODERN KITCHEN CABINET PULL SIZE
What is the best way to figure cabinet pull size. ...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Which rug should I use here?
1 2 3 or leave the existing one or none?
Wall color in new bathroom?
Hi Guys, I have posted here before but the colours...
Tile Sealant Stained Tile Yellow!!!
We had our shower floor tiled in pebbles earlier this...