Need help decorating a plate rack and adding bling to a rustic dining room/living room combo.
marsha229
I need ideas for decorating a plate rack. What can I put on it? Plates or something else? I want to replace the ceiling fan over the table with a crystal chandelier to add a modern look and a little bling. Will this be too much of a contrast against the pine columns and attached plate rack? I plan to paint the wainscoating and sliding glass doors white. I do not want to paint the columns/plate rack. Also, I want to replace the oak country style barstools with another color and style? The wood around the coffee table is white washed. Should the stools be white washed to bring that color in or expresso (almost black) like the table? All suggestions will be appreciated!
carole
chandelier-bling-yes,that i understand,you seem to like gold hues and shine,but it seems you rooms are a bit drained of color,the dark wood is very nice too,the barstools could be dark too,as they are in the diningarea!i think you could bring in a bleu,in a rug and in the art,then i saw the painting in the diningroom and now think you should try to have bleu and orange accents,without the bleu you are heading for the 1970's,fine ofcourse if that is your style... !!as to the platerack;plates,yes,i am not the biggest fan of "clutter",but if you have a collection of items that you really like or are wanting to collect,ofcourse the space is there...
February 27, 2013 at 3:25pm     
carole
...
February 27, 2013 at 3:29pm     
marsha229
Thanks Carole! I love the bleu/orange color idea. The pillows and shade are great. I had even thought about painting the walls a light blue like the color bleu you sent. My walls are now sage green so I thought the blue might work better with the dark table. What do you think?
February 27, 2013 at 3:42pm   
carole
tricky,i like both green and bleu,but i really think bleu in this instance a better color for the dark wood
February 27, 2013 at 4:07pm     
marsha229
Thanks again, Carole. After painting the room blue, I can always move the green and orange picture next door to the family room!
February 27, 2013 at 4:25pm   
carole
maybe,its not so easy to see on the screen,but i am thinking it could stay,do you think it would really clash that much??
February 27, 2013 at 4:42pm   
carole
have you got a picture of the chandelier you want??just curious??
February 27, 2013 at 4:45pm   
marsha229
I've been thinking about the Bling Chandelier by Robert Abbey that I saw on this website. I will try to save and attach a picture if I can.
February 27, 2013 at 5:02pm   
marsha229
This is a picture of a chandelier in a different style that I like also. I'm not sure which style would work better.
February 27, 2013 at 5:54pm   
marsha229
Sorry. Here is the picture.
February 27, 2013 at 6:08pm     
marsha229
The crystal chandelier I had in mind is a bit over my budget.
February 27, 2013 at 6:16pm     
Connie
i think you need a rug to brighten things up
February 27, 2013 at 6:22pm     
marsha229
Thanks, Connie. I agree. I am going to start searching for one.
February 27, 2013 at 6:26pm   
marsha229
Do I also need to put a rug over the living room carpet? The beige couch does seem to be blending in with the same color carpet. Eventually, I want to put in wood floors but they are just not in the budget right now.
February 27, 2013 at 6:43pm   
Connie
i would start with one near the sofa - and pillowsthere. hard to tell from the photo, but a rug in the dining section probably wouldnt work, unless it was huge, and virtually covered the whole area (which defeats prupose of beautiful wooden floors). I would also paint the timber panelling- think that colour drains the room. with the colour on the couch/curtains, i would try picking up either the orange or the jade(?) colour from the artwork - would really lift it the room. :)
February 27, 2013 at 6:52pm     
marsha229
You are correct. The dining area is not large. What makes it even smaller is that it is a sunken dining room. When you enter the house you are in a small foyer then a hall. Their are steps down to the dining/living room area on the left, and steps down to family room on the right. Picture below shows the steps. Yes, I am definitely planning to paint the timber panelling and the sliding glass doors.
February 27, 2013 at 7:59pm     
carole
would you buy from ebay? i found really good things for great prices on that!!or maybe wait for the sales??
February 28, 2013 at 5:27am     
0825sam
The second choice chandelier doesn't look like it will add a modern look.what about this http://www.westelm.com/m/products/eclipse-chandelier-w754/?pkey=cchandeliers-pendant-lighting
February 28, 2013 at 5:45am     
0825sam
Bar stools with a clean line that look like they would tie in your table http://www.westelm.com/m/products/rustic-barstool-g294/?pkey=ccounter-bar-stools
February 28, 2013 at 5:47am     
marsha229
Carole: Yes, I will definitely look at Ebay.

Sam0705: Wow! I was really going in the wrong direction with my chandelier choice. Thanks for those great modern choices. The eclipse chandelier is nice, but I think the Orb chandelier will really make a statement. I like the bar stools too.
February 28, 2013 at 6:48am     
0825sam
I agree I like the orb the best in your room especially since it has the little bling you were looking for. If you search houzz for "orb chandelier" you will see pics of it in action. Restoration Hardware makes a nice one but much more expensive than the Ballard version.
February 28, 2013 at 6:51am     
edithsmom
Lowe's, you are commenting on a year old post.
April 1, 2014 at 12:33pm   
Need Help with Dining Room/Living Room
I really need help with an empty dinning room/living...
Need help with dining room/living room color scheme
I need help with a color scheme for our dining room....
Need color help for dining room/living room with teak furniture
Is there a gray and maybe an accent wall color that...
Need Help with Paint Colours for Kitchen/Dining Room/Living Room
Hi everyone, We just bought our first house and...
need help in my dining room/living room
I have blond wood floor in the hall that leads from...
Need backsplash suggestions
We are building a home and are doing our own backsplash....
Does anybody know of any 74.5 in. bathroom vanities on sale?
This is just speculation right now since it'll be a...
How would you hang curtains in this room
Hi all, This room has not been updated in almost 15...
My rental home needs personality !
Really have no clue what to hang on the wall !!! We're...
I want to give my rental some personality !
I really have no clue what to hang on the wall !!!...