OLLD 2/28
olldroo
February 28, 2013 in Other
Last day of February and last day of winter for you guys and the last of summer for me.
olldroo
Well it is day 2 of our 40 days of rain and finally this afternoon the rain started and brought a very cool change with it. Hopefully the humidity goes too. Last summer we just had day after day of rain, it was so bad, but interestingly this evening they said that this summer has been wetter. Must have had much heavier rain when it did rain.

Off to bed, it is cool enough now to really snuggle under the doona - so much nicer to sleep. Y'all behave now.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 4:18AM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Hey Roo, happy thursday night to you!!! Convos have been getting long of late. Been too busy to join in. Got your carpet yet?
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 4:19AM
olldroo
You too Julie. Yes it does get like reading a novel sometimes - probably why I never get my novels read. Carpet gets laid Tuesday, it has been piled up behind the lounge since the first lot was laid.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 4:25AM
astraea
If I'm busy & can't get on most of the day, sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by the volume of material I have to read the next morning, just to catch up!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 4:37AM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
It's almost a full time job!! hehehehee
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 4:45AM
Morning all! Did I miss a Nancy Reagan post? From yesterday? Creeser?
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 5:43AM
handymam
Hey bobbi, how are you today? I thought I was the only one that missed it. But then again, there is so much to read on here each morning that it's easy to do!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 6:24AM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Off to hang some drapes....have a good day chooks and roosters!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 6:28AM
handymaM, doing well! And you? I wonder if the Nancy Reagan mention was my anticipation of being slammed again? Cannot wait!

Julie, hang those drapes! I'm going to sew some panels today myself.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 6:31AM
handymam
I am doing ok. House searching for my daughter. Buying would be cheaper than rent! Hooray, another project to work on! And only a 2+ hour drive away.

What were you going to be slammed for, bobbi? Have you been misbehaving again? :)
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 6:35AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Rooooster strutting through the hen house....!!!! Morning ladies.

(Mental note to self; DO NOT harpoon leg at night when UPS delivers package at 7:30 pm.....wait till morning.) Lesson learned from bad experience last night. Administered harpoon at 8pm after letting injection warm to room temperature (shipped in insulated cooler with frozen gel packs).....no problem, other than the pain of piercing one's body with harpoon sized needle......didn't even draw blood this time. Sat back down on couch and finished watching basketball game (Oklahoma vs. Texas...... go Sooners)...........brushed teeth and went to bed. 2 am, woke up with leg burning like I've got molten lava in my thigh down to my knee...........medication has jelled in the muscle.....not good. Have spent most of the morning with heating pad wrapped around my thigh and flexing my leg to keep the muscle moving...........heat and motion will break it up, but dang. I usually take my shot in the mornings and then go about my daily routine and no problems, but this just sucks. Stupid, stupid, stupid........ I know this, so why? Total senior brain fart moment.

Today will be a day for some design work for sure...........or maybe spread some color........I feel the need to spread bright bold colors.

Bobbi misbehaving? ..... I thought Misbehaving Bobbi was her formal name..........people, you need to tell me these things so I don't come off as the social misfit here.

handymam, I would suggest a tent with a wood deck floor in your backyard.......that's even cheaper, but maybe to close for comfort..........however, it did work with my daughter........she found a place of her own real quick. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but had she stayed with us much longer, there would had been a death and one of us would have needed the services of her lawyer mother. I think 12.8 miles is the perfect loving distance.

Hope everyone has a great day..........it actually looks like the sun is trying to break through here today, but snow flurries are forecast for tomorrow night and early Saturday morning.......maybe we'll get some snow.

Behave all.....................Rooster strutting out...........cocka doodle dooooooooo.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 7:57AM
janishill
Ez...it is always so much nicer to have someone else do it these days. I wonder when my body became so old. My mind doesn't feel any different!

The volumn of posts is one reason I sometimes simply don't check in. It is impossible to catch up when time is limited.

Today is one of the easiest days (work wise) that I have had in a couple of months. I have several returns I need to take care of so I am going to sort them out, put recipts int eh bags and attempt to get it all taken care of. I have a new chair being delivered this afternoon and hope to have the excess out of here before then.

It is overcast with rain expected later today. I don't think we've had a sunny day for at least 2 weeks. I have my sunlamp on, but there is nothing like the reall thing.

Roo...happy fall

Hope you all have a lovely day!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:03AM
mpoulsom
Morning ladies and gents, if they chime in today!

janishill, thank you for the any tidbits of puppy management and raising you can give me. It's been a long time since I've had a pup and when I had one before I was at home.

roo, (know you are asleep right now but)...you did not and have never offended me in any way, shape or form. Pedestal sinks....it was a BARGAIN baby and just happened to fit the space... :) Since I wasn't going to redo the tile on the wall, I just decided not to go too modern in there. I had pieces that fit nicely, including a mirror that was traditional as well. it all worked out swell.

I do not have internet at home right now??????????? Not sure what's wrong?
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 8:34AM
mpoulsom
I think I need a warm biscuit or something this morning. I'm freezing and can't get warm. I am soooo ready for spring right now. this winter has been yucky here! It's so weird that Roo's season is the opposite of ours.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:41AM
WOW! You know how sometimes you snore and sometimes you score, well I just finished my curtain panels and they turned out EXACTLY how I envisioned them and exactly how I wanted them! Score! Doesn't happen often so you really have to enjoy it when it does.

Janis, I couldn't agree with you more! I am a DIY'er but lately I'd much rather watch someone else do it.

HandymaM, good luck with your house search!

ez, get your handyman to do it! Much nicer to watch!

MP, you need a hot cup of tea! It's beautiful and sunny here (rub it in!) and temps expected to be in the 80's the next few days. BBQ time!
5 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:01AM
Hi guys and gals
Just a quick drop in to say hello - been a crazy day again... and I am off for late night shopping (our shops are only allowed to open till 9 in the evening once a week and are closed on Sunday) - looking for all sorts of stuff for the mountain project. Bedknobs and broomsticks here I come.....!!!
Have a great day or sleep or whatever.
Miss the chats but thankfully today's was quicker to get through....
Bobbi - so glad about your curtains.
Roo - hearing about the cyclone - is this causing your rain?
Shop then sleep and then do it all again tomorrow!!!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 9:05AM
ASV, when I left New Jersey we had similar store rules. Open til 9 on Thursdays only, and while the stores were open on Sunday's you weren't allowed to buy clothes or shoes, only groceries. That was in 1968!
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:20AM
mpoulsom
Have you guys ever heard or seen these before? I never have. How did i miss this? Snap-in tiles..?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:26AM
Ironwood Builders
God's country someone said, right Bobbie? Been sunny and warm for the last few weeks and looking forward to more. Just enough rain to make the golden hills green like Ireland...but the redwoods aren't dripping and the beach is deserted this time of year. Your winter will be over soon gals! Maybe by next early spring we can host an OLLDs convention in CA. Gotta get that far first I guess/

Lost a good poster yesterday. Lizabeth got fed up with McMansions and grasping materialism and sick of what color should I paint my fireplace questions. I just walk on by that stuff most of the time, save my energy for the folks that need real advice and may actually listen! WE'll continue to get Nancy's. They have nothing better to do and no input worth hearing. You gals may not be paid for what you do and say, but most of the time you show like pros....no ignorant, ill-advised and rampantly ridiculous opinions!

Hit the weights today! Total upper body and ab work out. Needed it. Need to hit the trail too.
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:26AM
MP, aren't they for garage floors? I think I've seen them in a variety of colors.

David, Yes, God's country! But don't you find all the good weather to be a bit....boring? hehehe Have fun with your weights! Still wish I'd seen that Nancy Reagan, anybody want to share?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:33AM
mpoulsom
boobi, shut up about your weather...i don't wanna hear it!!! I'm dreaming of a day in the low 80's right now! COME ON SPRING TIME!!!!!! :)
oh and congrats on the curtains bob....I DO love it when something comes out as envisioned...rarely happens for me. I have just learned to accept that it was meant to be that way, whatever it turns out to be.

ez, you are so sweet to keep on looking for that stove/fireplace thingy for STK...and yes, like boobi said, Let the Handyman do it! yay!!!
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:36AM
STK, just got notice of you comment from 98 minutes ago! Ok, don't harpoon yourself at night, and no, my name ain't Misbehavin' Bobbi! Funny!!

And while you enjoy your snow, I'll be thinking about you when we bbq!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 9:38AM
MP? Pics?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:38AM
mpoulsom
Well, bob, I don't know, I've NEVER seen them before....maybe it's because I've never had a garage! HA!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:53AM
mpoulsom
Bob, I brought my computer from home to work today to see if there is a hiccup in the computer, or if i just did not have a internet connection at home....i'll get it out of the car in a minute, K? Wonder if J rigged it so I couldn't connect somehow??? lol
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:58AM
mpoulsom
I think I've lost a day somewhere??? Is it wednesday or thursday?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:00AM
creeser
MP, it's Thursday sweetpea. The weekend is almost here!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 10:17AM
mpoulsom
thank you God! Between being sick, J gone and a new puppy, do you think it's reasonable that I lost a day somewhere?? Or do I need to check in to the asylum yet?
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:22AM
creeser
MP, you're good. I have none of that going on and some weeks, I can NOT remember what day it is for the life of me. Of course, that may just mean I need to join you in the looney bin. Ohhhh... the fun we'd have! *L*
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:24AM
mpoulsom
Well, I was soooooooooo tired last saturday after work, that I actually thought it was monday and was dreading the fact that i had to go to work in the morning....of course that was when i left the house to let someone pack. my brain was just fried.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 10:33AM
creeser
.....and a pint of ice cream. ;)
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:48AM
mpoulsom
well i do have some tulips on the fireplace mantel, but they are all droopy now! so they DO need to be replaced! And creesy, I'm one step ahead of you. I bought ice cream at the grocery store last night. My new flavor of the year, Mayfield's Bear Claw. I have always bought Moose Tracks, but had no idea that the Bear Claw ice cream was such a DARK CHOCOLATE! Oh My goodness! Love it now. I just want to be able to taste it a little better than what I'm tasting now. I still don't feel like I can hear totally yet from this sinus thingy. Driving me mad! argh!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 11:00AM
Hellooo! You all sound "in good form" today! You all have me chuckleing here. Love to see the pictures of your score bobbi! Yes, and what is the Nancy Reagan thing? BTW...I should have resisted posting to the SSI woman but after a couple glasses of wine I couldn't help myself. Holy Smokes!

mpoulson...Those snap tiles look interesting! I've seen something like that in the 12" teak tiles that snap together for small patios and such. Are they indoor tiles or for covering old patios?

BTW...Can I paint a rock fireplace? Just kidding. :)
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:30AM
mpoulsom
I don't know what they are, but bob said she thinks they may be for garages???
I just saw them on craigslist and thought they were interesting. But I did think they may be cool for a temporary patio or dancefloor, like for a wedding reception that's outside??? I really have no idea and haven't looked it up yet. I was waiting for ez...just joshin ez. I've just been busy trying to figure out what's wrong with my laptop.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 11:38AM
mpoulsom
p.s. darzy...you can paint any damn thing you want!!!!! ;) you know that answer! lol
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 11:39AM
creeser
MP, I think bobbi's right. I looked up snap in tiles and saw the same hooks as those have. If they are tough enough for a garage, they should be tough enough most anywhere you want to use them.
Bear Claw? That's new! Dark chocolate is my fav of the chocolates.
Darzy, that woman is exhausting. You ought to take a look at some of her other 'design' posts.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 11:49AM
I remember ice cream! Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia! Brownie Bites! Coffee! Yummy!

Darzy, are you thinking of painting a rock fireplace? Or is that a dilemma? I would like to see someone paint a rock fireplace with one of those fluffy car wash mitts, you know, put a rubber glove on first, then "wash" the paint in with one of those mitts. Has to be easier than with a brush, no?

MP, Thursday darlin'. No worries!
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:58AM
Creeser...exhausting is right! I've read some of her other posts and it's mind boggling! Whew.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:00PM
janishill
MP...forget the pint of ice cream and get a half gallon...or better yet 2! I know this is crazy, but my new favorite is vanilla. lol Oh...meant to mention using salt water in the neti pot. My grandmother used to sniff warm salt water when she had a sinus problem. I have tried it a couple of times and it works great. Like being at the beach.

Darzy...No! Rock can not be painted. Neither can brick, so don't even try. lol

Bobbi...can't wait to see pictures of the new curtains! Glad it went so nicely.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:02PM
creeser
Darzy, I don't know which was worse, her or those lunatics that supported her.
bobbi, Ben and Jerry's Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz!
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:02PM
WHO?????
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:04PM
creeser
janis, I always use saline packets in the neti pot, just wasn't using the distilled water. That salt is great for 'curing what ails ya'
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 12:05PM
creeser
bobbi... An owl! That's an owl! Right??? *snicker*
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 12:05PM
An owl?????
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:08PM
olldbobbo...who? This thread...It is long and tedious and a bit "nuts". Several of us OLLDS couldn't resist our two cents. :) http://www.houzz.com/discussions/367801
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:23PM
mpoulsom
oh no worries, I don't buy pints! It was the NEW FAKE 1/2 gallon of ice cream they are trying to fool everyone with! I hate that! They did it to ice cream and coffee! What used to be a lb. of coffee is now 12 oz. What used to be a 1/2 gallon is less than that now. i think they package them the same width as the old cartons, but are far skinnier in depth! Trickery on the public.....how stupid do they think we are?
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:25PM
creeser
MP, yes! Like any good woman does not know exactly how many spoon fulls of sweet, creamy ice cream is in each carton. And don't look at me like that, you know you eat straight out of the carton, too.
4 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:33PM
Yes,mpoulosm! Lots of fake's and trickery at the market! Less ounces for the same price. My husband just yesterday bought those little 8 packs of cookies he likes and noticed when he got home it was a 6 pack..for the same price! Notice cake mixes don't come close to filling the cake pans like they used to? The rats...:) Weighing meat when it's frozen so it weighs more. grrrr
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:38PM
janishill
If you stand with the freezer door open and eat out of the carton the calories don't count!
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:38PM
janishill
Eztia...I used it on a cat liter container and it works great. The reason I sprayed the litter container is because I keep birdseed in it and wanted it to be a little nicer looking. So, yes, it works very well.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:41PM
creeser
eztia, I bought some, but haven't used it on plastic yet. I sprayed it on the metal base of a patio table and some outdoor chairs. It's held up well on metal, just don't know about plastic.

Darzy, mp ... I'm a soup addict. Campbell's hasn't changed their chunky soup sizes, they just added more "broth" and less meats and veggies.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:42PM
creeser
janis, AND if you hold the carton high above your head, it scares the calories and they all jump out.
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:43PM
creeser
MP, you need a bottle tree. Or do you already have one?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:49PM
mpoulsom
lol creesy! and yes of course i eat it out of the carton, for little short treats, and no the calories do not count. i really like to eat it out of a coffee cup the best. I have a little coffee cup from a breakfast restaurant we used to go to all the time in oakland, called "mama's royal cafe". It is a very thin ceramic cup that is kind of small. That;s what i usually use anyway. OR I take a few bites out of the carton, thinking that's all i want, THEN end up with a cup anyway. :)

found a pic for astraea, if she's on here today at all....reminded me of you Astraea! :) It was from an article about pets and critters in your house!!!
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:55PM
mpoulsom
omg ez...that last pic of the tree is amazing! It looks like a person with their arms outstretched! Love it!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 1:17PM
handymam
Darzy, just took a look at that thread. All I can say is WOW. Was too amazed to say anything. Luckily other people said it and I just kept clicking like all the way down the thread...
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 1:18PM
wow is right! Gotta go help hubby with his tax biz...later gators.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 1:21PM
That thread went forever!!!! I wanted to add my two cents: Can't I have both????
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 1:22PM
mpoulsom
well I DID make a blue bottle piece of trash art that hangs on my fence around the patio. I got a box full of misc junk at an estate sale....they were mainly old avon bottles, which I figured i could sell on ebay or something. Sure some people collect that sort of thing. The thing that I wanted was the basket that they were in, AND these blue bottles with rings on the tops of them. I don't know if they are avon bottles or not??? I took some copper tubing that is easy to bend and then hung those bottles on it and mounted. Don't know if you can see it, but it's in this pic to the far left on the fence.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 1:42PM
mpoulsom
oops sorry the pic won't blow up. it's pretty cool in person for white trash art! :)
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 1:44PM
astraea
I haven't been here since early this morning .. and 95 e-mail notifications for Houzz have accumulated!

I'll just start with Bobbi's question .. the "Nancy Reagan" was about someone who wants more than she can afford, and all the "tough love" posts in that discussion.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 2:41PM
Thank you Astraea! I love being IGNORED by my olld friends :((
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 2:44PM
astraea
MP - Did I post a photo of my friend last year, before she started a family?
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 2:47PM
olldroo
Morning all. Raining still and only a cool 20 deg. Loving it.

Firstly mp - don't believe this mob it is FRIDAY!!! Well it would be if you were here - heehee.

Secondly - Janis - if you are thinking of coming here, I really have to start you on a crash course of English for Aussies. We don't do fall - we have autumn, a magnificent time of the year (if it happens) beautiful crisp, cool days and the clearest blue, blue skies you could ever see with vapour trails from the planes flying overhead (provided it isn't raining).

ASV - I think the latest cyclone is over WA so generally doesn't affect us unless the low weather system continues across the country. Australia is actually 2,485 miles wide. The cyclones that affect far North Queensland are more likely continue south and cause heavy rain for us. I don't quite know what is the excuse for our present 40 day wet.

Ez - that yukky coloured spot in your white paint would be nothing unusual. I find the lighter the colour the more it seems to separate when stored. Just give it a good stir down and it should be fine and always store tins of paint upside down. For some weird reason too, all white paints should have black in them, it actually helps the white stay whiter

Kutchie - you absolutely crack me up every day. How you do that harpoon has me absolutely cringing, I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I know it is life or death for you but I still have to admire your strength to actually do it.

Dave - Is the photo of the leather that is going on your table?
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 3:24PM
olldroo
I see we are having a few more Nancy Reagan's here today!!!!! Do I have to play Nancy Cop!!!!
Bobbi, you started this idea, and we all agreed and set the rules so if anyone misses a Nancy moment I really I think the whole thing becomes pointless if we then keep asking what we missed.

Of course, it really all boils down to the fact that we are very normal, typical females and can't help ourselves.

Yesterday's, Bobbi, was more a generalisation of issues than a specific one.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:33PM
astraea
Roo - I think it was "Nancy Reagan week" in that one location! (LOL) We OLLDs tried to be helpful, but I'm not sure it was perceived that way. And for a while there seemed to be 2 Nancy Reagans as a "tag team".
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:36PM
Are we talking about the $300 question?
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:41PM
olldroo
We are having the same issues here with product downsizing the worst being blocks of chocolate!!! How dare they deprive us of a few grams. Of course as half our local product has been taken over by US companies I guess we had to fall into line. It has actually got so bad that that our supermarkets now have to display the price of each item per 100g or 100ml so consumers can comparison shop.

Janis - you only eat broken biscuits too - the kilojoules fall out when they break.

We have native bottle trees here too, they have saved lives in the desert. Only problem in the city is the possums love to eat the leaves.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:48PM
Speaking of chocolate, has anyone gone grocery shopping lately, you know, for more than a few items? I went last night and the bill was triple my budget! And I didn't even get ice cream or chocolate :))
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:50PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Eztia.... thanks for looking........I found it, I forget who posted it but, I got the one I was looking for.

MP, if you're getting committed for not know what day it is you better reserve a room for me.....at least once, sometimes twice per week, I'm asking my wife what day it is and I'm either behind one or ahead one......
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 3:59PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Roo.......I just aim and close my eyes.........kind of like the way I drive in the mountains. A few years back, I took my mom and dad to the top of Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs for a days drive..... my mom made the comment that she didn't know how I could take those curves, especially the ones where there weren't any guardrails.......I told her to do what I do.........just close your eyes. Dad caught it right off the bat.....mom, she had to think about that, then popped the back of my head..........it didn't help calm her fears..... not at all.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 4:09PM
STK, you have quite a sense of humor! Remind me to never drive in the mountains with you, ok?
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 4:12PM
olldroo
Bobbi, take heart with your grocery bills, DD freaks when she comes here, our prices would be triple your triple.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 6:09PM
olldroo
I had deliberately stayed out of that $300 conversation for reasons of my own but reading through it and all the information she gave set off quite a few alarm bells so I have now joined in and was quite blunt. Hard when I don't know US law but I'm sure things can't be all that different in some areas and I am very concerned she is actually on extremely shaky ground.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 6:15PM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You dun good Roo., Yes extremely shaky ground. Rules here aren't any different that I'm aware of. I would have suggested some therapy but didn't want to appear too insulting. The whole "entitlement" got my dander up.
I have laminex in my 30 yr old kitchen. We bought the smallest house we could live in as we didn't want the big mortgage. One day hopefully the kitchen will get done, but at the end of the day not important to me. Would be nice though.....
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 6:50PM
olldroo
Julie, a lady on here from Melbourne told me laminex is making a comeback - see wait long enough and you are back in fashion. I'm even getting to the point of going back to it, it really was no hassle. That will be if I can't afford my beloved Corian.

I was surprised all the other 'experts' missed the vital points I saw. I actually had further thoughts too, I might see what direction it takes before I say anymore, but if that house legally belongs to her mother and the mother holds the mortgage, then legally she had no right to pull up the flooring or remove the counter top. Should it get to the point the property has to be sold for the mother's ongoing care then the mortgagor could sue her for damages. I didn't quite suggest therapy, I stopped at counselling.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 6:59PM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
The extra points you raise here are quite valid...I got the impression house was not hers totally either. The equity would not even cover one year in a facility. and you're right.....no flooring and counter top..it would be a fire sale......

I did not even think that far...I just couldn't get over the 'spoilt brat" issues.I can't see it ending well. I could not for the life of me live that way.

There's more to life I'm afraid than decorating.

In my business I regularly go into houses here worth in excess of $10m, and I see dysfunction all over.....often the more sumptuous the house..the more messed up the inhabitants are. Just an observation over the last 13 years.
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 7:08PM
janishill
Roo..when you have a graddaughter names Autumn you enjoy the 'fall' season.

We talked about moving in bit more. Our insurance will carry, but DH does not want to me to move that far from my doctors as I almost died in Belize. Poor fellow; he suffered more than I did. I was far too sick to realize I was half dead, but he knew and the fear still lingers. So now we are talking about the possibility of moving somewhere closer; like Canada. We shall see. We are just in the 'dreaming of the possibilities' stage.

MP...I bought the little plastic, premeasured 1/2 servings last time. No dish to have to put in the dishwasher and I feel more in control...unless I decide I... umm... 'need' a second or third one.

I didn't wade through all of that thread. Maybe I should read the OLLD posts at least.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 7:09PM
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Janis...the night is not long enuf......hehehehee
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 7:25PM
olldroo
Janis - I love Autumn and Summer for names but I can see why you stick with the Fall. We do have excellent medical services and providers here, in fact we lead the world in many things but I think I would be inclined to stay close to home too. Why are you considering moving at all or is it just itchy feet? Just come for a nice holiday.

Julie - neither are my days!!!!!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 7:45PM
trasgorshek
I have the worst headache after trying to read the design delimma you guys were talking about. Had to give up. Now I'm just plain tuckered out. Judy, Roo, I read from your points up...had to stop about midway. Holly Toledo!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 7:59PM
olldroo
Ez - BH insisted on using up some really old white paint we had when I was painting my walk-in. It looked gross but after a good stir it came up looking good, went on well and and dried great.

The photo was taken in Ipswich in Queensland so that could be the Queensland native version. I think only an expert could tell the difference.

Tras, now you know why I normally stay well away but I sincerely worry about the disaster she could be creating for herself.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:06PM
janishill
OK...silly, I know, but I commented. The entire thing mess simply saddened me.

Roo, you were very nice and supportive, but made several good points.

I wish you all a good night. It is past my bedtime.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:38PM
Night night janis...yes Roo, nice and supportive but "strong". It's actually sad because her problems appear to be more than just financial.

Janis..you almost died in Belize? What happened? Nighty for you now so you can fill us in tomorrow. :)
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:02PM
Linda
I don't know if you all remember my comments about buying the foreclosed house and helping the almost hoarder move out, but he didn't end up taking his paint collection. Slowly I'm going through and mixing them together. That guy was a big fan of tinted primer so I started by pouring the remnants of 8 gallons of primer into a 5 gallon bucket of white primer. After consolidating all that, I ended up with 4 1/2 - 5 gallons of cream colored primer

Then I mixed up several small bits of paint remaining from misc gallons and ended up with 5 gallons of medium bluish gray, like a confederate gray. That color is probably a bit too dark so I'll mix it with more white before using it.

Sometimes latex paint is spoiled - and it will even grow mold, given the right circumstances. Usually you can smell it as soon as you crack the seal on the can if it isn't any good. One problem with old cans of paint is rusted metal flakes getting into the paint. I mix everything together and then pour it through a paint strainer if necessary to get rid of the worst problems.

I ended up consolidating something like 15 of the gallon cans into two existing 5 gallon buckets so at least I did end up with a bit more space. Plus, I still have probably another dozen gallons of latex flat and eggshell to use that I haven't mixed. It is mostly BM and Pittsburg with some SW paint - so all good stuff and I'm not about to toss it given the cost of paint now. But, if I don't start getting more done than I have been, I'll never get all that paint put on.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:52PM
Ironwood Builders
Hey everybody...that is the same Nancy that cursed me for suggesting she needed to pay for 3D accurate renderings of her HD kitchen. Entitlement! I've been posting on some nono issues. Getting a little fed up seeing illegal work go down. Guy asking if he should build something around a conduit in his basement, when a piece of unshielded romex was coning out the same hole! Or the gal from Canada telling a poster that 24" above the range is code...and he's in the US! She's a HOMEOWNER not a contractor, a draftsman, an architect or a designer, what is going on around here? How about the shower door that if it opens out it hits the toilet and won't open at all? What happens when you slip in the shower and have to sit and wait for the firemen, butt nekkid in the now freezing water with your broken hip....or heart attack or stroke or...

I'm posting as fast as my fingers will go and it isn't enough. What are people thinking? This stuff is dangerous...the blind leading the lame.

I read oldroo's 300 comment..all I could bear. I'm heading back out into the fray...wish me luck..and yes... that is the leather for the table. Don't care if you hate it....it was a whole hide for $90. I'm going to abuse the heck out of it to distress it early...anyway it's better than the one I got from eBay for $75. Gave that one to my daughter for her upcoming fashion show.
5 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:59PM
olldroo
Dave, love the colour of it.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 2:08AM
Morning roo! That $300 question - did d4me delete her posts? I don't see anything on there from her so I guess I missed the good stuff!

Darzy - is that true what you said about making 1 extra house payment per year? That seems pretty achievable even to me!

I'll open 3/1
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 2:30AM
olldroo
Morning Bobbi, - 1 min off for me. Yes she did right after she got back to me. She did a lovely post thanking me for understanding and being so direct with her. I don't think a lot of people really read what she said although I had picked up a lot from her posts elsewhere, what she said here brought everything together and started making sense. Don't think I need to call Nancy on this, but I think this dilemma really highlighted the lack of empathy and understanding that can be shown here.
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:04AM
handymam
Roo, I think your posts to d4me were the most straightforward and I guess after reading what you just posted, the most helpful. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it is still the truth. Thanks for your persistent posting and I think that you did a great thing here!
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:11AM
olldroo
Thanks, mam, I have spoken to her before on other posts and had feelings that just didn't add up, but after all the info on that one I just felt the time was right for plain speaking, especially when I could empathise with her on the mother issue and it seems it was. I was quite taken aback when she said she shed tears reading my response and thanked me for being so down to earth with her. I get the impression she has no one genuine in her life to give her the help and advice she needs. It certainly was rather draining though.
4 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:35AM
handymam
I think you are right, that you were able to empathize with her did the trick. She couldn't say that no one understood her problems. Of which there are obviously many.
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:37AM
trasgorshek
That's what I got also. I didn't make it all the way through but got confused while reading what the original topic was because it went in so many directions. It's hard on Houzz to discuss serious issues like that through text. So much gets lost in translation and can get completely misinterpreted. Without someone sitting right in front of you, it's nearly impossible to get it 100%. Couldn't figure out why politics kept getting brought up regarding government allowance, etc from posters. I'm sure she was just throwing her heart out there but not wording it in the best manner. Does sound like she has some serious hardships. I just thought Houzz might not be the best place to unload all of it. Unless you recognize her name and have followers her, it was really hard to understand everything. I'm really glad you caught it all Roo and could help her.
3 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 6:02AM
olldroo
Jayme Hobbs has come in on it now and as an RN she fully understands all the implications of the dementia. She has also thrown another light on it that fortunately I am limited for commenting on due to my lack of knowledge of the US system.
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 7:00AM
astraea
Guys, ever hear of "Munchausen by proxy"?
3 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 1:54PM
Yes! Scary disease! Is this to do with 300?
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 3:05PM
Yes, Astraea. We were just talking about this today. We know a woman who does "manufacture" diseases. If you have had it, so has she, but worse. Lately, she has been writing bad checks, not paying her mortgage, and coming up with illnesses to explain away her tardiness. She calls 911 anytime she is confronted. Recently she took a foster child into her home. There is always something wrong with him, she says, and his pediatrician never satisfies her concerns. Yesterday, she called me from a major Boston hospital, in the ER, complaining that the docs said the little boy had a typical cold. She was furious and demanding more care for him. Then, she fainted.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:33PM
astraea
Judy - People like that can be dangerous! This is about Waneta Hoyt, probably the worst case documented: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20101784,00.html
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 6:06PM
New home! Help!
Hello all! Small kitchen- not much width so can't add...
Amelia Steltzer
How do I purchase furniture from this Site?
Interested in this set POUNDEX Furniture - Tan Sectional...
whamhouse
rredpenn
What style chairs would go with this antique table?
I'm having this claw foot table restored, it was my...
Tania Summers
What do I do with this living room??
This living room is long and I need ideas what to do...
element8399