Bathroom transformation into a spa
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
This master bath deserved to be transformed into its true identity, a Spa!
kittiecollins
Sorry, but that is hideous.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 8:01AM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
Wow, very enlightening review. Thank you for your input
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 8:06AM
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Center Stage Home Staging, you posted the photo, so I guess you are asking for opinions. I'm assuming this home is on the market. Any chance you can return and, at the least, paint the cabinets white. 3 different color and texture area rugs & floor mats. Honestly, the before looks better, and its my opinion that you are not promoting your business in the positive. Kittiecollins pulled a Simon Cowell, that poster was just being brutally honest.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 8:29AM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
Thank you Yarbro Home Improvement. These are all great suggestions. This is a rental home so I am limited on the changes to the cabinets and fixtures, because I agree that those changes would be very beneficial. The resident wanted a cozy feel and is very adverse to any hard surfaces on his bare feet, thus the plush array of floor coverings. If I were staging, this room would have gone in a much simpler direction.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 8:41AM
kittiecollins
I'm sorry if you don't like my comment, but the point of this is to give reviews and I did just that. Maybe it is a Brit thing and we tell it like it is...? I think Yarbro Home Improvement LLC's comment is spot on; you are doing yourself no favors by advertising this as your work. If you are not able to show a true reflection of how you would have staged the house, don't post the picture. Of course you have to work with what the client wants, however what they want and what is good are not always the same thing, after all, isn't that why they get a professional to work on their behalf as they don't know what to do? Simply judging your work on the merit of this photo, without your explanation, I would think this to be what you consider a good example of your work and based on that, I wouldn't hire you. If you have to go into an in-depth explanation as to why you did it, it is not worth posting. A picture of your work at it's best will do all the explaining necessary.
5 Likes    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 8:57AM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
Now that is constructive criticism. Thank you, I agree that the postures were definitely posted out of the context of "staging". These photos do not depict a staged home, but one of personal client preference. I will keep this in mind in future postings. Thank you kittie
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 9:03AM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
Pictures, not postures....
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 9:03AM
I personally would not have done it the way shown in the picture, but If the clients are happy and it helps speed up selling the home then you've done your job right !
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 12:54PM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
Thank you Dytecture for your feedback. What areas do you find most concerning in the design? Im always looking to improve approaches
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 2:02PM
Kelly
I don't want you to feel beaten up, but have to agree the before picture was better. It feels more kid jungle then adult spa to me. I would have gone more simple- less is more in this case- understanding their was a limited budget - you might have kept to just earth tones, greys or blues. Perhaps a change of the glass on the shower - something with a waterfall effect so you could not see through it...then kept the rest calm in color.
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 3:17PM
Kelly
One second note, the color selections really makes the room look half the size. I do hope it sells for you.
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 3:19PM
Garden's Edge Growers
Little busy for me. Less is sometimes more.
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 3:22PM
Hi, I am guessing you are Christine ?

Although I wouldn't go as far to say the 'before' photo was better. I thought that bamboo wall was a great idea, perhaps without the leaves such as the 2nd photo from the right.

Also if this is for staging purposes, the green wall color might not be for everyone, and there are 3 kinds of floor mats / rugs on the floor, which I understand you are trying to cover up the plain white tiles.

Just my 2 cents !
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 3:24PM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
Thanks so much for all the comments. "Less is more" could definitely have been put into play here. I wondered if the contrasting colors gave the room more dimension instead of just being big?
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 4:03PM
Kelly
I think big is better (but then again I am from Texas) :)
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 4:10PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I really don't feel the "Spa" vibe from this room. Replace all the green with the neutral color in the bamboo. A monochromatic palette give you the serene feeling of a spa retreat. Good attempt it just needs a bit of tweeting. Keep your chin up. ;-)
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 5:38PM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
I see your point of the softer feel of a softer color. A bit more calming atmosphere. Thanks for your input
:-)
    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 5:50PM
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
This has been my first posting on houzz and I have to say it has been fantastic. A little tough, but I welcome the constructive criticism and look forward to taking some much needed advice from the pros out there. I have a few projects that I'm working on in the next couple of weeks and can't wait to get some more feedback as I hone my skills in the field. Thanks again everybody for the tough love.
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 6:03PM
DIAspoton
i hesitate to jump in but since you want feedback, here goes.
given the perameters of cozy, rental friendly , no hard floors and i imagine a tight budget you could have chosen to :

paint the walls a warm griege. use matching natural floormats of seagrass or jute for an organic feel.
find very pretty embellished or patterned towels . maybe a gray and white paisley or choose aqua or yellow.
the towel tree is just a dangerous trip hazard. i have no idea what the little picture over the door is about.
you might design a clever fabric treatment to hang over the shower wall. a valance of sorts hanging down 18-24" and just 2" covering the top of the shower enclosure.
painting the cabinets would help the update but it's not critical.
in the future you might do better to stay away from strong colors and busy patterns for spec situations.
strong colors elcicit strong reactions.
at this point you could at least switch to all white towels and floor mats.
hope this is more helpful than critical.
4 Likes    Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 6:56PM
kittiecollins
I think a mid griege on all the walls and around bottom of the shower cubicle would look great next to the white of the bath, sink and flooring. It would be calming and sophisticated; more as a spa should be.

Dependent upon whether as a rental you can do anything with the wood work you could paint it white for a very crisp and clean overall look, or stain it a dark walnut to bring in a richness and depth to the scheme, or go one step further and paint it black. I would update the handles nonetheless. Simply changing them to something more stylish would make quite a difference.

If you were feeling really brave I would pain the door black, leaving the surround white.

Would you be able to change the glass in the shower or 'smoke' it some how? Again would add more depth to the scheme without adding bright colours. It would also hide what was in the shower.

If the client insists in having lots of bathmats just make them all the same, either white of grey. Add white fluffy towels, but not to that towel rack. If you can't put in a nice heated towel rail just a couple of dark brown/black floating shelves with rolled towels would look more spa like. A couple of large classic prints to the walls behind the bath, an orchid or two and voila!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 12:45AM
semesky
I am sorry, but I thought the after was the before! All you had to do was put some nice pictures on the wall and the existing bathroom would have looked great!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 9:50PM
SoCal Contractor
The bamboo with the hand towels on it is a nice touch!
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 2:07PM
Raquel Dillett
Very confused here! The change is not attractive at all!
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:37PM
condomary
The original post is almost 1-1/2 yrs ago
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:56PM
AMAZING transformation of Master Bathroom. From dated 1980's to Zen!
This Master Bathroom was a drab 1980's look in serious...
Design With Distinction, LLC
Help! Help me transform this into a designer master bathroom
I need to add here a vanity/sink, lighting, mirror......
chayalarosenberg
How To Update a 1997 Tract Home?
We are selling our large custom home and will be down-sizing,...
jagood
Transformation of Family Bathroom
The key feature of this bathroom, besides its size,...
shivaxin
Bathroom Transformed!
We removed existing tub and a small shower and turned...
DC Interiors & Renovations
we need a kitchen table
kitchen table that extends to 120 inches but only 30-36...
maxthecat63
Help finish decorating my living room!
We recently finished a major remodeling, enlarging...
cjhp22
Need ideas for Small Bathroom shower curtain/rug!! more ideas=BETTER!
I recently bought a few sets of the Cynthia Rowley...
Julia
Help with dressing up the mantle
Please advise on how to make my mantle look nice. ...
jjkyung
Kitchen remodel
We definitely need a kitchen remodel but idk where...
Monica