Flooring options
Jessica Gocke Asch
I am looking to replace the flooring in the majority of my house. I have two kids and a small dog. The puppy has been known to have an accident now and again and the flooring would be in my entry way. What is the best option? Engineered hardwood? Bamboo?
Lillian's Paintbrush
Bamboo is very strong and beautiful. stick with products that can get wet and don't show scratched to well.
February 28, 2013 at 12:10pm   
bookwench
I replaced wall-to-wall 1960s carpeting with bamboo throughout the living/dining and private areas of my house. Bamboo is not as forgiving as you might think. The finish is so smooth that any nicks and dents really show. We do not wear shoes on the bamboo for that reason. My bamboo was the vertical strand (supposedly stronger than horizontal). I do have to say it looks beautiful. For my foyer and family room kitchen areas that get high traffic, we put down 24x24 terrazzo tile--it's nearly indestructible.
February 28, 2013 at 12:25pm   
Jessica Gocke Asch
Maybe the hand scraped bamboo so it will hide flaws better...but now we're getting pretty expensive. Maybe hand scraped engineered?
February 28, 2013 at 12:51pm   
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Luxury Vinyl Plank..looks like wood..but worry proof. Water proof,scratch proof and cost effective. I have put this in hundreds of homes and they have been very happy with it. I have it in my showroom in the kids playroom and for the last 3 years and they have yet to make a mark on it. Both of these photos are luxury vinyl.
February 28, 2013 at 1:05pm   
Jessica Gocke Asch
I've just recently heard of this product. I guess I was worried it would have a plastic look, but it looks really nice in your photos. I may have to check into this further!
February 28, 2013 at 1:13pm   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Vinyl Plank - no way - not if you want any kind of resale value to your home.
This product is used for commercial spaces, basements, low-end apartments. Be careful what you recommend and be careful what you are putting into your home. You don't want to bring down the value. Vinyl Plank is used by flippers who don't want to deal with properly levelling floors - its cheap, cheerful and looks nice, but doesn't really add value.

I'd go either one of two ways if this is a home you want to add value to:
1) Engineered floor in a Bamboo Fusion - make sure it is a good quality and not a knock off, as Bamboo can cause separation issues with lower end products.
2) Tile flooring that looks like hardwood - this is absolutely gorgeous stuff and I've put it in starter homes as well as estate mansions - yes, it costs more, but is sooo worth it.

Good luck with your project.
February 28, 2013 at 1:32pm   
Flooring options for a room that was a porch and has slab flooring
There are no floor joists to attach wood flooring to,...
2nd Floor Condo Flooring Options
My partner and I are planning to remodel his condo...
Coordinating floor options for shower base and floor
Installing a 5' x 3' shower with Somertile Versailles...
Kitchen floor dilemma-what kind of floor options do I have
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I have a dilemma...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...
MOULDINGS ON LOUNGEROOM WALLS
I would like to wall mouldings on our lounge/dining...
Need help for my kitchen
Im interested in stacked cabinets with the top cabinet...
bar cabinet
Hi, I have this bar cabinet I love but I'm not sure...
kitchen backsplash - votes for color and size
Which is the best option for my kitchen backsplash?...