Need help choosing kitchen countertop color
Patrick
Hello designers,

I need some advice in getting granite countertop for my kitchen. The color cabinets and floor is just natural maple. The wall paint is off-white (a bit grey-ish). I want something that's not too pale, but not to dark either. The appliances will be stainless steel. What color of granite countertop would be good? And also any suggestions on how to do the backspalsh? Thanks
Here is a more contemporary example with a solid colored countertop in a medium tone.

February 28, 2013 at 4:32PM     
herblady
The very best thing you can do is take your color samples and hit the stone yard. There are so many colors and patterns in the stone you'll know the right one when you see it. I am personally partial to glass back splashes, not the glass tile, an actual solid piece of glass that has the back side painted with whatever pattern or art I like.
February 28, 2013 at 4:36PM   
Patrick
Dytecture, thanks for the picture. I do like that color combination.

herblady, that's a great idea. I'm planning to do it this weekend.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again.
February 28, 2013 at 4:41PM     
Terri Maines_Theisen
Both suggestions were good ones so far. after you pick out the counter top take your time with the back splash. There are so many options out there today, shapes, materials & styles. Just like the counter top you will know which one goes best when you see it. Have fun & good luck. Post pics when done.
February 28, 2013 at 5:00PM   
Patrick
Thanks Terri Maines_Theisen ... will post pictures for sure when done.
February 28, 2013 at 5:02PM   
0825sam
I think the counter dytecture posted is quartz which I prefer over the granite with your cabinets. Just depends on the look you want. Quartz can give you a more solid color.
February 28, 2013 at 5:04PM     
Urban Ideas Inc.
Hi Patrick, based on the handles installed on your cabinets, I am assuming that you are looking for a more contemporary design. I agree that CeasarStone would be a better approach for you. The mid range colour proposed is a great option but I would like to also suggest "concrete" colour for you. It is a deeper, darker grey option that will warm up the kitchen. A good way to pair it, in terms of backsplash, is to look for random strips glass sheets. Good luck, Laura
February 28, 2013 at 5:13PM   
Lkristine
You could do a Hurricane Granite that incorporates tones from the cabinets as well as gray colors. Then a neutral clean lined grayish backsplash with a similar colored grout ,since there would be plenty of pattern in the countertop. That way they don't compete or clash. Countertop example...... http://www.stonecontact.com/Html/20130228/InfoCenterMaterialDetail/materialid__5882BB3B-504C-48B2-A3EA-93AEBF580CA7.html?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 Backsplash example........ http://www.wayfair.com/Cloudz-Stratus-6-x-12-Glass-Subway-Tile-in-Gray-1434-EPK1018.html
February 28, 2013 at 5:23PM     
Patrick
Thanks Urban Ideas Inc. ... that's actually what i was thinking too.. a greyish 'concrete' color for the countertop.

sam0705, i'm going with granite because it's cheaper than quarts and, unfortunately, budget is kinda tight now. I hope there's granite that would look solid-ish grey-ish concrete-ish color :)
February 28, 2013 at 5:25PM     
Susan Mills Design
Excellent advice so far, take it one step further when looking for your stone, look for a stone that has a vein in it with a colour you would like to introduce into the adjoining rooms. Great way to keep an open floor plan in harmony.
February 28, 2013 at 5:30PM   
smont3
I would personally look at the color scheme throughout your home try to harmonize it BUT your cabinets and your countertop will be a lot more permanent than a simple color change on your walls...I like change so I go with what I love first in furniture color
and countertops...wall odors refresh a room....have fun!
February 28, 2013 at 5:36PM   
smont3
Sorry wall colors change a room...lol spell check!
February 28, 2013 at 5:37PM   
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Patrick, if you want a solid-ish grey-ish concrete-ish look, why not consider using concrete. You seem to have a very minimal amount of counter space so concrete would probably fit your budget. Find a local concrete artisan and price it out. It doesn't hurt to check.
February 28, 2013 at 7:04PM   
mollykahn
I love granite and its so durable...well worth the money. I have Luna lite in my kitchen, for 19 years, and I would pick it again. It is one of the most available and can come closer to being matched if you do a partial redo of the kitchen in 20 years.
February 28, 2013 at 7:49PM   
Patrick
Wow.. thank you all for the responses... they are all very helpful
March 1, 2013 at 10:39AM   
Chameleon Power
You could also try visiting arizonatile.chameleonpower.com and instantly visualize countertops.
March 1, 2013 at 11:29AM   
Patrick
just a little update... i did pick out a granite.. and it turned out to be the same as this one here:

March 4, 2013 at 4:17PM   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Ok - so you went builder basic, splurge on your backsplash then - and make the backsplash connect with both cabinetry and countertop in a mosaic that has both colours in it.
March 4, 2013 at 4:19PM   
Patrick
Yes, i did go with the basic. Hmm.. if i go with a multi color of backsplash, would it be too much, in such a little place? Something like this?

Or do you have something else in mind?

Thanks in advance.
March 4, 2013 at 4:23PM   
Libby Solomchuck
THATS VERY DIFFERENT, AN PRETTY..
March 4, 2013 at 4:33PM   
Patrick
Thanks Libby
March 4, 2013 at 4:34PM   
Patrick
A little update on the countertop and backsplash.. it's coming together :)
March 22, 2013 at 5:52PM     
Help!!!! Need help choosing countertop for my kitchen remodel
I have currently ordered cabinets for our kitchen....
Need help choose the kitchen counter-top and backsplash
Dear houzzers, I need your help again on choosing the...
Need help choosing quartz countertops for our kitchen
We are building for the first time and have chosen...
Need help with choosing a kitchen countertop
Hello Is it possible to get a sealed fossilized countertop...
Small space, boys bedroom
Best bed and bureau placement (twin)? We are planning...
What should I do for window treatments? And additional lighting?
I'm torn between wood blinds or roman shades with some...
Need help for my kitchen
Hi, we just bought a house,with terracotta floor, i...
"Contemporary" 1990 home -- ideas to make it more classic/traditional?
I am open to suggestions on how to update the exterior...