Dresser I would use as a TV stand in family room: To paint or not to paint/stain?
bizzymama109
Hi,

I picked this piece up for $13. It's in relatively good shape but not cosmetically. Joints are solid tongue and groove and is solid wood (Huntley by Thomasville piece) There is some water damage on the top and one of the brass pulls is tarnished probably by the same liquid that damaged the top. I am planning on putting this up against the wall of the family room where the picture is and putting the TV on it. With the brown sofa, what colour painter stain would you recommend and whether or not it's even worthwhile redoing. After looking at this piece again, I'm kind of having second thoughts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Anna
Interiors International, Inc.
If your having second thoughts cut your loss at $13 If you don't love it don't do it. I live by that rule.
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:11AM
Gabberts Design Studio
Your room looks more on the contemporary side, so I would suggest painting it a rich red or black to match what you already have in your room. It could be great...And you can't beat the price!
3 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:12AM
patti1123
Take off off the hardware and spray with a nickel finish to make them pop against a dark stain, or paint.
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 5:29AM
0825sam
In the photos it looks like the same tone as your floors. If so I would try it in the space as is. May bring a little warmth/eclectic.

If you don't like that I think painting it black as above suggested is a good idea.
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 5:43AM
A Crew of Two
Go for it...high gloss would be lovely and for a few bucks why not try it? You can always resell it for more if it turns out not to be tour style. I was thinking maybe a cool yellow or green for pop. This one is super cool- it looks like they then put a stain over the paint.
3 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:51AM
elklaker
I say replace or paint the hardware as suggested. I am usually all about going with black but, in this instance, I think it would be too dark for your room. The interesting details of the wood may be lost, too. Fix the water damage (or cover it with the TV) and you are set. Great piece and price!
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 5:51AM
Jayme H.
Is the top veneer? May have trouble with paint sticking well...?
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 5:55AM
14thstreet
Do you have any grays in your rug? Gray might be an idea...
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 6:01AM
A Crew of Two
Just make sure you prime it correctly- no worries
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 6:06AM
handymam
I vote for paint. It's cheap and if you don't like it, you are not out all that much. I think black would look great normally too, but that is a dark wall color in there. I love your look, but maybe consider a lighter taupe (like the dog floor) for contrast or a deep, not bright red from your painting.
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 6:13AM
bizzymama109
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I think I'm think I'm going to lighten up the walls and changeout some of the seating. In another post, I have asked for help with configuring the furniture. Combining all the ideas and suggestions for colour and adding texture to the room, I think I will paint this piece either a high gloss red like in the picture i found on houzz.com and Gabberts Design suggested and if I hate it, like a few of you suggested, I can either repaint it, sell it for a bit more than my $13 I paid for it (that was the full asking price at the thrift store - actually it was $12.99!), or give it away and nothing really lost except my time and cost of paint and primer.

Kklinton, love the yellow but hubs would never go for it but I may surprise him with the red! ;)

Handyman, the rest of the walls around the main floor are light grey. I've tried painting the dining room walls once a deep red and had such a hard time even with two coats of tinted primer, I vowed never to try reds again! If I lighten the room to a medium shade of grey, will the red be too bold for the space?

Jayme, the top is veneer. The hallway table in the background is a piece that I restained myself which is veneer and I had no problems after lightly sanding and then two light coats of primer and three coats of stain.

Elklaker, The water stain unfortunately, is on the right side of the dresser and as you can see from the pic, it had spill over onto the top drawer pull and therefore the entire piece has to be refinished. I will spray the pulls nickel as patti suggested.

14thstreet, There is grey in the carpet but someone suggested that maybe I put a larger rug in. I'll keep my eyes open for something I like and can afford. Sam, the floor are actually much darker with a reddish tone than the piece and would probably clash. It also looks too oaky for my liking.

Thank you all again for all your help! I will post the finished piece as soon as its done! Have a great weekend!
5 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 7:42PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I LOVE IT! I bought a stunning old mahogany dresser that I absolutely LOVE and all my friends hate it. Who cares? It makes me feel good every time I look at it. I'd definitely paint it using blacks (as in differing finishes). High gloss in combination with matte and flat. Maybe rub some back off and have some fun with it. It's a nice one. Enjoy it!!
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 7:56PM
bizzymama109
14th street, I just saw your attached pics! Grey may be a good choice as well!
jayme, I just realized there was no hallway table in the original pic!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 8:00PM
sjkingston
Another option would be a silver finish. A rubbed silver finish might bring out the grain but in a modern way.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 8:23PM
sierra251
Hi, is the colorful painting that is on the wall staying in the room? If so, I would pull a light blue out of that for your paint color. Also, I suggest adding some short legs to the piece if possible. This will take away that "dresser" look it has now. Depending on how the bottom is constructed, you should be able to buy them at lowes or homedepot and just screw them on.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 8:30PM
grandmalucy12
I would first paint it red then paint black over it and rub corners so red shows through. Paine or buy new hardware
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 9:46PM
bizzymama109
I'm now thinking that since my husband won't let me paint it red ( I LOVE how the red would pop I. The room), I may have to go either black or white or grey (classic but will be pretty). Since I'll be lightening the wall colour to a grey like the rest of the house. I also picked up some drapes from ikea (janette) which has black, grey, plum and creams in it.
Sierra251, good idea but I looked under and there isn't a way to screw on legs. Too bad!
I can't start the project for at least a month because it's still too cold here in the suburb of Toronto.

Have a great week!
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:01AM
memre22
I purchased a dresser with the same intent. Also waiting on the weather. I plan on removing the center swing doors, and have glass inserts made. Take out the sliding drawers in the center and put in glass shelves. I will install a small LED light strip high in the back. Then use the center as a curio cabinet for display.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:15AM
yvonnecmartin
I assume that your tv is a newer, lightweight model. A problem with using a dresser as a tv stand is that little ones can pull the tv down on them. This can be deadly with a heavy old tv. With a newer one, you might want to fasten the tv to the stand somehow.

This will look great painted. If you repaint the walls light, black might look good--it mirrors the color of the tv when it isn't on. However, grey or taupe would also look good.

Do you plan to use satin, flat, or milk finish?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 11:08AM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
YES! Paint it - how cool is this piece - you can actually make it a funky addition by choosing a great toss cushion with some colour and/or pattern, then repeating one colour on this dresser - which isn't really worth that much, and I don't think is solid wood -

Tie it into something in your space - have fun with it and make it count - you have an opportunity to really do something special and get away from the boring neutrals - add some colour!
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 11:14AM
Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
I would paint it for sure!!! that's a steal for the piece. I would either stain it a dark colour or paint it grey or black. I'm leaning more towards staining it so that the texture and pattern of the wood is visible.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 11:20AM
bizzymama109
Tada! Finally did it! And love how it turned out! Thanks for all your help!
5 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 7:58PM
bizzymama109
What do you all think about the hardware? I was going to spray paint them but I couldn't decide when I got to Home Depot. There is corrosion on a couple of them but other I can't live with. I do think the brass goes well with the red. It sort of brings an asian feel to the piece.
2 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 8:02PM
bschr
Love it, you did an amazing job! The colour is beautiful and really looks nice against the wall!
1 Like   August 11, 2013 at 9:23PM
nycdiane
I think it looks fantastic (and you said your hubs wouldn't let you paint it red! Good thing husbands aren't always as in charge as they think they are, LOL!). Where did the painting go? More pics of the room, please!

Edit: Ooops, sorry! Didn't realize how old this discussion is. I'll look to see if you posted any updates elsewhere.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 11:41AM
Chandelier in the bathroom
Does anyone know the general building regs about hanging...
Sue C
valance over shuttered French doors
I am getting shutters for my French doors. I need...
rumney1254
Bathroom fixer upper on a budget
Please help! This is my master bath and it DESPERATELY...
TahiaLore
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
To all Houzzers...
Have a great holiday season.
Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design