Seeking advice for the kitchen... Please help!!
mojo44
I just moved into a home that has a beautiful kitchen, but decorated for the early 90s! Whit cabinets, blue counters, one yellow wall, one dark blue wall, and one yellow striped wallpaper wall. I would like to paint, add a backsplash, and change the outdated hanging lights to something more modern. I am thinking a gray paint but am really quite confused. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!
mojo44
And here is the blue wall
March 1, 2013 at 7:21am   
A Crew of Two
What a great space- thank goodness the bones of the room are good. Is your style more contemporary or traditional?
March 1, 2013 at 7:23am   
mojo44
I like modern more towards contemporary. However, I am in New Hampshire, and have two horses in my back yard now :)... So trying to learn how to decorate in a modern way with a rustic feel. I'm quite lost :(
March 1, 2013 at 7:31am   
A Crew of Two
Yes to gray! I would replace the island counter top but the rest seem to work. I think it would be cool to lower the bar area to the counter height or a table height for more comfortable seating and to open up the space. Subway tile back splash. A cool wallpaper on the wall with the patio door for some impact.
March 1, 2013 at 7:38am     
A Crew of Two
Than bring in some rustic things...wooden bowls, baskets, pops of warm yellows would be beautiful.
March 1, 2013 at 7:43am     
Laura Myers
Great room, but loose the blue wall and counters. Maybe add a backsplash to coordinate with counters and keep the bright yellow above, brightens the space in my opinion.
March 1, 2013 at 7:43am     
mojo44
White subway tile? Interesting!
March 1, 2013 at 7:47am     
Jayme H.
I think Grey would work well...and I love the look of white subway tile too.
March 1, 2013 at 7:49am     
kathy
Wow - that is a blue wall! And I like blue!
How much do you like/hate the blue counters? Waht is the perimeter counter - on my screen it looks different than the island counter. Can you afford to change the counters or are you going to work with the blue? If keeping the blue, then really you have only 3 or 4 colours - white, blue and wood of floor and trim. I would think you could find a backsplash tile that blends the blue.

Maybe a mosaic? These are all from home depot. I tried to pick blue-grey colour palette, though one has more brown. Point is, there are lots of tiles to choice from. Pick a tile first (and counter if you are going to change that) and then pick a wall colour last. Even if painting is the first thing you do, pick that colour last.

BTW - that was so easy to say - you should see my house - I realize not so easy to do!
March 1, 2013 at 8:26am     
Beth Wold Photography
I"m very much into modern style but also like rustic - they certainly can be combined. I have rustic wood finishes(distressed) but in modern shapes and colors. Another thing is keeping your tones natural - taupes, browns, but with cool undertones which keeps them modern. Also, artwork is a possibility - have it of natural things - but in modern shapes, compositions, and color. Just a thought.
March 1, 2013 at 8:41am     
Please Help! Young Couple seek bathroom renovation HELP!!!
We recently took our old shower tile down. The tile...
Please help! Kitchen/mudroom advice
Hi, I'm about to embark on my first remodeling journey....
In DC, seeking painter for small living room. Please help. Thanks!
Older house in NE with a lot of charm. Painter bailed...
Monkey bars in our upstairs hallway?
We want to put monkey bars in our hallway upstairs...
Need help with curb appeal-please!
Zone 6a. Hate the green shutters and awnings. Awnings...
To soffit or not??????
On a 9 foot ceiling would you prefer to use a soffit...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
One piece toilet?
Our master bathroom is TINY, more so than even the...