Need help choosing paint to "brighten" white cabinets

larajayeMarch 1, 2013
We renovated our kitchen last year and our cabinets, which are in a BM Simply White laquer, are yellowing. Both the wall, ceiling, and cabs were all painted simply white. However, the trim and wall seem to be very white still and the cabinets are now showing yellow ie. dirty, and it's driving me nuts.

We are painting the main level which is an open concept kitchen/dining/living in cool grey's but i did a sample wall (next to cabs) and it's not helping the situation. I originally liked BM Coventry Grey or SW Zircon as my top 2 choices for the main level.
Do i need to do a yellow? I prefer cool colours, but have a feeling this will work against me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a colour on that wall next to the cabinets that will brighten the white but will still allow me to use a grey on the rest of the level?

Pics show a close of the backsplash as well which has blue, brown, and stone and it reads quite grey.

Thanks :-)
bethgwhite
I would go with bright yellow
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 1:31PM
bdennison
Love that backsplash... what is it? Have you thought of a deep charcoal on that wall? I did a silver/charcoal kitchen and the contrast was nice. Love your space.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 1:41PM
larajaye
bdennison, thank you :-) the backsplash is a stone/glass mix by ceratec I believe. I did think of a charcoal as well, or even a chalkboard wall, but my husband wasn't super thrilled with the idea...it's pretty bold. I wonder if charcoal would be enough to whiten though??

would a wasabi colour work to "whiten"?
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 1:47PM
bdennison
Is it only that one wall with the starburst clock that we are talking about? If so, go for it. Wasaqbi would be very interesting and playful. "it's only paint" I'd love to see the after pics
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:13PM
gossamerblade
I like the idea of a deeper gray on the wall next to the cabinets. Good contrast with white cabinets but would blend with both the backsplash and a light shade of gray in adjacent areas.
I'd lean away from yellow if you like a cool palette, but if you have access to a photoshop-type program, you can get an idea how it would look.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:14PM
Signature Kitchen & Bath Design
Hello...I wouldn't go with yellow as suggested above as this will only make the cabinets appear more yellow.

Did you paint the cabinets yourselves or have them professionally done? If you had them done by a professional you should contact them and let them know that the cabinet finish is yellowing and have them redone at no cost to you! Are you a smoker? This would yellow the finish too.

It's hard to tell but your current wall color might have a warm/yellow undertone which makes the cabinets appear more yellow. I would go with a darker gray with blue undertones like Benjamin Moore Shadow Gray 2125-40, it's a very rich and sophisticated color. This will help bring out more of the blue in your splash too. You can use the lighter colors on the paint strip in the rest of the rooms or the Zircon you like since it's a blueish gray too.

Congrats on the remodel, you did a great job and have a great space!
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:21PM
larajaye
@bdennison, yes it's only the clock wall. The dining room next to the fridge will also affect it, but i'm most concerned about that small space actually in the kitchen. Perhaps a charcoal is the way to go. I was also looking at some deep warm grey's, maybe that would work too...

@signature.. thank you very much. i'm not a smoker but i have a feeling they were done with oil? i dont know why else they would be yellowing. the issue is that the cabinetmaker is also a friend and its a very delicate topic with my husband to bring up. i had him replace one cabinet already b/c of a peeling issue and they are an gazillion dents, but apparently that is to be expected, so i try not to freak out too much. if he wasnt a friend, i would have called a long time ago :-)
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:26PM
Design By Concept & Decor
Hi, what kind of light do you have in the kitchen, I think you could solve your problem changing the light.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:28PM
larajaye
There are potlights which are a warmish cast, which i actually read makes them appear whiter which seems counter intuitive to me. But i actually notice them looking more yellow with natural light during the day.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:30PM
bdennison
I prefer the deep grey. going out on a limb here... maybe paint the uppers the same color as that wall? I had the upper cabs adjacent to my stove turn a little yellow (heat? grease?) I am going to re-do them.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:31PM
larajaye
repaint the cabinets? oh god, yeah that's not happening anytime soon, lol. not unless it's free :-)
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:35PM
bdennison
Look on the bright side. You don't have white appliances up against them :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:38PM
Design By Concept & Decor
What kind of lamp or bulb are you using? Is it Halogen?
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:44PM
larajaye
i honestly have no idea what bulb they are, sorry. the electrician installed them and didn't ask what we wanted. the contractor took care of it. i know the undermount are halogen and are a bluish cast, but the overhead are a warmer cast. sorry, that's useless... but like i mentioned i find that no lights, just natural daylight is when i notice it the most. I think this is because the trim and ceiling is not yellowing so it seems really obvious to me.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:08PM
larajaye
here is an example of one coat of SW zircon on that wall that i did this afternoon before i started the thread. it just seems "off".
so, consensus is that a charcoal would be good? Like Kendall Charcoal or more of a deep charcoal/plum?
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:19PM
bdennison
Go dark, maybe BM stormy sky. The cabs and backsplash will really stand out.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:30PM
Design By Concept & Decor
I think a dark blue base grey or dark grey might help. Don't use yellow or red base tones because they will reflect the the tones with the day light.
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:37PM
larajaye
Do you think that BM Deep Caviar would work? I painted our bathroom vanity that colour and that would be nice to transition too. Or is it too dark? Does BM Deep Caviar and SW zircon match with the undertones?
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:00PM
loroca
How bout a wallpaper in greenish tones?
Marrakesh Honey Wallpaper · More Info

Glazed Abaca Wallpaper, Emerald · More Info

Dandelion Clocks Wallpaper · More Info

Siam Trellis Wallpaper · More Info

Daydream Wallpaper, Gray · More Info

Abstract Design Wallpaper In Teals And Ivory By Antonina Vella, Seabrook Design · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:10PM
Jayme H.
Ben Moore Stormy Sky..nice color
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:17PM
Design By Concept & Decor
I think it is too dark, but I'll check again tomorrow, it is too dark right now to properly see the color. I'll check tomorrow with day light, and I let you know.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:19PM
Eileen A.
what it your favorite color? or color palette?
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:25PM
Jayme H.
I was wondering if it was too dark also...nice color though..maybe a shade or two lighter?
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:46PM
Signature Kitchen & Bath Design
I don't think the Deep Caviar goes with the Zircon...there is too much yellow in Deep Caviar, visit the site below and you can see the yellow tones in "similar colors" next to the bluer toned "more shades"
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/deepcaviar

I still think you need a blue undertone in the gray as recommend earlier. I like the BM Black Pepper and Almost Black on the site noted above. I also like BM Black Berry.

You can also visit this site on Houzz and get a feel for the different shades of gray.
Ideabook: 50 Shades of Gray · See Ideabook
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:53PM
larajaye
you are all so awesome, thanks so much for your replies!! Now that it's pretty much a deep charcoal, it's just picking the right one....gah. I find the BM website is helpful, but the shades online are often so different than the paint chips. I'll have to swing by and grab some paint chips tomorrow.

There is always so much conflicting opinion on if blue makes yellow yellow-er, or if it's complimentary. I find it makes it yellow, but also don't really want to paint red or yellow. In answer to what colours i like, i like cool tones like purple, pink, blue, lime green, cool grey's, cool whites, etc. So, i'm OK with the charcoal. I like the idea of wallpaper too, but not sure if there is already too much going on with my backsplash and 2 different cabinet/countertops.

once i told my husband about the charcoal we discussed taking it down the stairs as a feature wall as well since the 2 walls are only seperated by a hallway. I'll post pics tomorrow for your opinion :-) I don't always love feature walls, and wanted to wallpaper it, but let's see what you all think!
    Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:23PM
Design By Concept & Decor
Hi,
I was checking different options for you, but I narrow it to just one to not confuse you more. I recommend SW 7674 peppercorn, it is dark but goes really well with zircon. If you feel it is too dark you can go a tone under. I would recommend you to try it first and see how it change during the day. Paint close to the cabinet.
    Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 10:07AM
larajaye
Thanks so much! When you say paint close to the cabinet, do you recommend I carry in the paint to the wall that is currently white as well? (pic below). I really appreciate your time, thank you!
    Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 11:10AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the wall paper ideas. It brings more interest to the room.
    Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 11:20AM
bdennison
As your cabinets go to the ceiling, I think it will be fine to paint around the corner to the cabinets. the SW peppercorn is very similar to BM Stormy Sky and will look fine. It sounds like you are almost there.
    Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 11:39AM
Design By Concept & Decor
Your very welcome. Yes, Go around the corner, it will show more contrast.
    Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 6:40PM
larajaye
I put some BM Storm up today because i had some and it looks better than zircon, but i will take your advice and go darker. I picked up a BM story sky and Shadow grey since i was there and like the Stormy Sky. I will head to SW tomorrow as well.

As a sidenote for your KD's, give the fact they are yellowing, what would you do if you never gave a client a choice about which kind of paint was being used (oil vs water) and didn't advise until after installation that they will "darken" (yellow) over time, and they came back a year later asking for it to be fixed? Would you do it?
Secondly, based on 18 cabinet doors and 12 drawers what is an estimate to get them repainted in a water based white OR stripped and stained to match our island?
Just so i have an idea....thank you!!!
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:41PM
Signature Kitchen & Bath Design
Cabinets done correctly shouldn't yellow over time and oil based paints and stains should not be used.

There should have been multiple steps done in refinishing your cabinets. This involves sanding, painting, varnish/lacquer followed by doing this again and again. These multiple steps give a long lasting and hard finish preventing dents. A lacquer or varnish does not work well with oil based stains/paints because it will not adhere well. This may be the reason you are seeing the yellowing and peeling on your cabinets.

When finishing your cabinets a water based opaque stain should have been used, it looks like a paint. Most cabinet manufacturers use this product as well as a catalyzed conversion varnish because it provides a hard durable finish that is non-yellowing. If you are wanting a very high gloss look, this is achieved by using a lacquered varnish. This process is more involved and typically more expensive because it requires more labor and product to achieve correctly.

I have found over years of experience that most local cabinet makers cannot achieve a long lasting (5 year to lifetime) finish because they don't have the needed equipment & product of a multimillion dollar facility and some don't have the knowledge. Most of the local cabinet makers I deal with have at least a 1 year warranty and would replace the kitchen.

Should you decide to replace the doors/drawers you will have to decide what type of finish you desire, lacquered or a high sheen varnish, again the lacquer is typically more than a varnish. Also do you need to refinish the face of the cabinet boxes? I would be happy to get a basic estimate from a local cabinet maker for you on Monday.

By the way I'm attaching a photo of a kitchen with Shadow Grey paint so you can compare with the Stormy
1 Like    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 2:41PM
Signature Kitchen & Bath Design
More pictures of Shadow Gray
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 2:46PM
larajaye
I am now more confused then ever.

I thought I decided on SW Zircon and either BM Stormy Sky or Gray Shower for the one wall beside the kitchen. However it got me to thinking that by having cool colours that perhaps that is what is making it look off since the Simply White is turning creamy. I went into SW and told them i wanted to pick up some warm grays as well and quickly explained dilemma. They agreed and said that sticking with the same warmish undertones would work best..unfortunately i'm not a huge fan of any warm colours at the moment, and most of the prev comments are to avoid reds and yellows. So, which is it?? I attached a panorama of my upstairs living area. It's a bungalow so it's kitchen, living, dining. Unfortunately the floor was discontinued after we moved here and couldnt bring the bamboo into the kitchen. very sad and huge regret...however, onto more pressing problems. Also please ignore ugly front entry light, mess, and bare walls - i have yet to commit to anything.

Should i stick with the above colours OR i was thinking maybe SW Essential gray for the walls and SW Folkstone for the one wall next to the cabinets. these have maroon/gold/black and are on the same strip. Thoughts???

And i will also take other design advice :-)
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 12:36PM
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
SW Zircon has very strong violet undertones. As the complementary color it will definitely accentuate the yellow in the cabinets. Stick with a cooler gray like BMoore Silver Marlin 21239-50 or Wickham gray HC-171
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:19PM
larajaye
Thanks Gloria. So, still go cool, but are those with green undertones?
Would something like a gray owl and desert twilight or durango as the accent wall work? Those seem to be green-ish as well.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:42PM
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Glad you are seeing the "undertones" yes they are green. Sea Haze is much warmer with red undertones. And Desert Twilight and Durango will be VERY dark - almost black in a large area. make sure you want drama if you go that dark. Try BMoore Silver Song 1557 or darker 1558 Fieldstone, from their Classic Colors collection. The colors are much "clearer" and not as muddy as the Color Preview collection.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:03PM
bigbama9
Blue or a coral
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 3:41PM
Need help brightening up and accessorizing mantle and TV wall~
We just put in a Rumford (sp) fireplace and stone wall....
Marion Collins_Williams
How do I brighten up the kitchen
This is my kitchen. A new one. So I won't do any major...
ajj
Help with kitchen brightening. Keep stained wood trim and moulding or paint white?
My kitchen has all its wood work stained a cherry color....
jasonkorff
Need help choosing white for cabinets in room with cloud white walls
Can anyone recommend a tint of white that would work...
Dana
Need help to brighten this room!
I need your expert advice! What color would brighten...
hornsbyc
Hanging pictutes
I'm not sure if I like the art one one each side of...
mooremomaz
Wooton Desk Restoration
If you would like to follow along as I restore a late...
Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
Master Bedroom Remodel
This is a picture of the Master Bedroom, just before...
iknowclc
Help...Great Room Advice
We have a newly built home, lots of light two large...
melissasue79
Has anyone used brazilian arabescato quartzite on a...
kellywise