Need furniture layout ideas - kid friendly and storage
mslightfoot
Please help. We need some furniture layout ideas that are kid friendly and provide ample storage for my 2 year old and 6 month olds' toy explosions. Not sure about my tv placement either but the layout as is doesn't accommodate many. Be gentle this is my first time on houzz. Thanks!!!!
carole
you have got nice furniture and the toys!!well,they will be there for a long time ;-) could you possibly send 2 more pictures taken from different angles??to post them,just comment on your own post and press attach images

the tv,your right its probably not in the best place,that would be a good area for storage!but untill we can see what the rest of the room is like,i am not sure!!!

one way for small toys to be stored is an ottoman or 2 under the window?again,cant really tell...the one in the pict is fabric,but maybe leather is easier to wipe clean...
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 1:58PM
mslightfoot
Thanks Carole. Here are the left and right photos. Left is a bank of windows and right is a very tall wall.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 2:09PM
carole
hmmm,also half a wall,does that get used as part of the room or is it just corridor?you see,i would take the shelving away from the window,and move the furniture around,loose 1 or both chairs and bring in a ottoman and put shelving next to the FP,tv on the long wall shelving underneath that,settee at the window,ottoman in front,this can be used for storage/table/bench where as the chairs are just chairs!!this will give you more floorspace for the kids to play and it will be easier to move around in (but can you put the chairs somewhere else for now,once the kids grow out of the many toys-stage you can bring them back in)
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 2:38PM
carole
and when they need a nap just pull it together and they have a nice bed and in the evening when you have your time put all the toys in there and put your feet on the ottoman!!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 2:43PM
mslightfoot
That half wall behind the sofa is actually part of the kitchen counter.
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 2:54PM
Eileen A.
Declutter you room and make a toy cleaning routine before bed:-) and hide toys from them for a determined period and leave some out (less toys to cleanup) . It works for me and I live without stress . Move the tv on top of the fireplace and make a built in unit with drawers and shelves .
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 2:56PM
cjohnston
Just a few questions to see what suggestions will work. Does the TV need to stay where it is currently? If so, what is the width of the wall it is on? Also, what are the dimensions of the room? How far up the wall is that soffit? Is this mostly an issue of optimizing the layout of your current furniture or are you looking into buying a few pieces? Thanks!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 3:05PM
Connie
It does feels a bit "bitsy and cluttered" (no offence- it looks just like my place!!) I would put the tv above the mantle, and then hang all those pictures in the nook where the tv is, in a nice, ordely grid type arrangement. It will tidy it up, and look like a little gallery. I would put the couches in an L shape on the wall opposite the window - this will enclose, but visually hide some of the clutter of daily life. The table that the tv is currently on, could make a nice corner coffee table between the 2. And then in the space where the tv currently is,invest in a big cane basket, for all the pillows and blankies and rugs, and some smaller baskets so kids can just throw their toys in at pack up time.also I'd leave the shelves under the window, with the kids seat and chair close by. good luck
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 3:06PM
carole
is the space from counter to wall as wide as the room?could you use that area for a kidscorner with storage?
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 3:10PM
mslightfoot
The tv can be moved. The soffit along the wall is about 8ft from the floor and is about a 2.5 foot overhang. The with of the area to the right of the fireplace is about 60 inches.

There is a coffee table under the tv that we moved out for more play space.

I'm open to investing in new furniture if it makes sense. I'd like to be able to use some of the furniture I have as I'm on a budget.

Thanks for everyone's input. It's really helpful.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 3:25PM
Eileen A.
Declutter you room and make a toy cleaning routine before bed:-) and hide toys from them for a determined period and leave some out (less toys to cleanup) . It works for me and I live without stress . Move the tv on top of the fireplace and make a built in storage with drawers and shelfs
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 3:27PM
thislittlehouse
1. Move TV to the other side of the fireplace. (Or above, if you prefer that height).

2. Get a matching lamp and lamp table for the other side of the couch.

3.Create a gallery wall above the couch with all your family pics.

4. Move the two arm chairs facing the fireplace and TV.
Buy a console/sideboard to place behind them upon which you can put a few decorative items, art books, vase of flowers.

5. I spied some amazing storage under the window. Buy a range of baskets and boxes and sort out the toys.

5a) Tell the children they may play with one basket at a time... Or...

5b) let them make a glorious mess on the rug (mostly hidden by armchairs and new console!) and pack it away into the little cubbies when necessary!

This will be a lovely room! :)
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 4:06PM
cjohnston
Thanks for the info. Your room has a lot of potential! The issue I see with your room is not really the layout, but the lack of storage. You probably have less "stuff" than you think, but it is all out in the open.

A wall storage unit would give you tons of storage, but the only place for it is where the sofa is now. That would require all the rest of your furniture to be floating, and unless you have floor outlets, this becomes a problem with lamps. So I suggest a bigger media console to go beside the fireplace.

Instead of the coffee table, consider a storage ottoman (maybe not leather since you already have that). You can get it in an accent color that you like. If you want to be able to easily move it out of the way, consider one on casters or maybe have a couple smaller ottomans. You can add a few accent pillows in the accent color as well.

If you can replace the end table beside your sofa, I suggest getting a chest which would be a great place to stash stuff (white since your other furniture is mostly dark). Also, consider getting a few baskets that can fit in the cubbies under your window.

Vetrina 60 inch Media Console Collette Tufted Storage Ottoman Alanna Storage Ottoman Transitional Family Room Ikea Hemnes 3 drawer chest in white BRANÄS Basket
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 5:01PM
jjandhk
Can you turn the couch so it faces the fireplace? If so, I would build in shelves to the right of the tv; and put the tv above a low cabinet for toy storage on the long wall, as someone mentioned above.
2 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:26PM
mslightfoot
Cjohnston, thislittlehouse and Carole - thanks for all the great ideas. I'm excited to start implementing them. Thanks for taking the time to comment!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:30PM
cjohnston
That's fantastic, mslightfoot! I'd love to see what you come up with.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:42PM
carole
me too,send in a picture!!!!oke?
0 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 6:17AM
Need ideas for kid friendly round coffee table + living room ideas
We just moved into a new home and have a lot to do....
kid friendly family room ideas needed
The walls are a teal color and trim is white. The sectional...
Need "drop zone" for extra kid stuff storage ideas..
Has anyone used an old armoir for storage? Converted...
Kid friendly design ideas for family room
Hi design divas/dudes, I need HELP! I'm decorating...
Kitchen remodel- forego (or at least wait) on the island?
We're knocking out half of a wall into our den, so...
Kitchen Remodel- Where/How to start, picking colors
We began an "accidental" kitchen remodel last spring...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Pointed ceiling
Just renovated my house and my carpenter made a pointed Ceiling...