Patio - travertine or concrete?
coynech
March 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking to replace existing concrete patio and extend it and add roof. Not sure if we should go with the travertine or new concrete. Worried somewhat about whether the travertine may shift over time due to weather in Pittsburgh PA area which changes from season to season,but I like the look....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
One variation is to do stamped concrete which provides some textures while being more less susceptible to the weather.

1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 4:28PM
coynech
Thanks so much I will look into that option further!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 4:52PM
PRO
MHA Home Services
Your photo appears to show an existing concrete patio. If there are no major flaws , cracks or problems with it travertine will make a great finish. I built patios for years in the northern climates near the Canadian border. Well prepared grade work and concrete poured by a professional familiar with the impact of frost movement will mitigate the potential risk of cracks and settling. Have your travertine installed by a reputable professional and they will use the appropriate membranes and address any cracks that may exist. We install a lot of travertine and its a great exterior product that will look great and be durable for generations to come.. Good luck on your project
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:35PM
PRO
Elegant Tile and Stone
Hi Coynech,

Travertine is a great idea. What is most important to understand about travertine when considering it as an option is the quality of the material. Ensuring that your material is Premium Grade will make sure the contractor/hardscaper who is working with the material is laying something that will last a very long time. The pavers themselves are cut to fit against each other and with proper installation will have no shifting or movement issues. Premium Grade travertine has also undergone multiple tests to ensure the material will hold up with exterior applications. One test in particular is the freeze/thaw cycle where the pavers are repeatedly frozen and thawed to ensure durability in cold weather conditions.

If you choose to go with travertine we would be more than willing to help you find the color that works best for your project.
http://eleganttileandstonenj.com/travertine-pavers/
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 8:23PM
coynech
Thanks so much everyone, we think we are going to move ahead with Travertine! I appreciate your confidence in the product
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 7:27AM
PRO
Elegant Tile and Stone
You made a great decision, contact us if you have any questions or need assistance!
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 6:28AM
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™