can i use red white and blue, without it looking "american"
Connie
We are in the early stages of a renovation, changing our eat in kitchen to a family room. It wont be massive (approx) 65m2, and l shaped. I love white woodwork, and would like to put white woodpanelling to table height, all white woodwork in kitchen etc. I collect delft KLM houses, and have been thinking about painting 1 (some/all?) walls the very deep navy blue from the collection, to tone down too much white. And then i thought about incorporating some red highlights, but my hubby thinks it will look like we are celebrating independence day! My decorating style is " country french farm rustic eclectic" we will have a bit of black wrought iron, through handles, light fittings, pot hanger, and I have been imaginging using some french toile and ticking. Any suggestions on if/how i can make it work, or if you think it will look crap? The room has a south westerly aspect, and will have a triple bi-fold glass door, and windows 2700x1400 along one wall. One end of the L will be dedicated to kitchen with an island (4x6m). So no morning sun, just afternoon (I am in australia)
rinqreation
Pick oxblood red, or vermilion or coral red. And dark nightblue (for the wall f.e.) with a hint of indigo. Just don't put the blue-white-reds too much together. Mix in lots of cream with the white, rusty brown with the red and black with the blue. A red clay or hardstone tiled floor will look very rustic too.
March 2, 2013 at 6:30AM     
I have the same aversion to mixing red, white and blue in almost any shades. But I love white with red accents or white with navy blue accents. I just don't like them together. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do this. It just means you are right to be aware of the potential visual effect.
March 2, 2013 at 6:35AM     
shortped
French country often uses yellow too so if you would incorporate yellow with your blue and red, you might not look like Uncle Sam is coming to dinner....LOL
March 2, 2013 at 6:39AM   
Connie
oxblood red is the exact shade i was looking at. and just to clarify, the room would be predominantly white (605), with navy blue (30%) and then just some red accessories - maybe just a cushion on the couch, and some bar stools in the kitchen. @shortped, I have actually had yellow in my kitchen for the last 2 houses (17years) so am just a bit over it! was trying to brak out a little bit.
March 2, 2013 at 3:19PM     
How can I salvage these chairs
How can I update these chairs. They are in a vacation...
Front porch suggestions
Our original front porch was enclosed last year to...
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
Mirror frame DIY.. Yay or nay?
Hi! I am doing a quick surprise powder room makeover...
How to get the look I want for my living room/kitchen
Hello! I am looking for some help with my living...