Need help hiding egress window on Patio
Karen Fontaine
We have a egress window that comes out right at our back door..any ideas to hide it?? I would like to have a nice seating area with plants etc..lots of sun
7j DESIGN
Instead of hiding the egress window I would make it part of the landscaping design. I would build up the area on the right to the wall on the right and to the downspout on the left keeping the same slope as the window and create a design with low lying plantings in a combination of different greenery or riverstones and dark and white stones. I would add some in the front to extend the design below the window to bring it in line with the edge of the side door.
March 1, 2013 at 5:11pm     
Karen Fontaine
I want to make it not so noticeable. I was thinking of making that patio an area to relax reading etc, potted plants etc
March 1, 2013 at 7:17pm   
sjkingston
What does the window lead down to. In addition to being an emergency exit, does it deliver needed light to the room below?
March 1, 2013 at 8:27pm   
Bargain Backer
Some garden furniture may help. http://www.bargainbacker.com/Garden_c_7.html
March 1, 2013 at 8:29pm   
fbal
I'd do slim squarish teracota plant Garden around the window and plant some "wheat" like decorative plants in it to hide the window completely from view without blocking any of the sun light
March 1, 2013 at 9:00pm     
Karen Fontaine
The window leads down to a family room in the basement..it does bring in lots of light and is used as a escape..it is code here but very ugly..
March 1, 2013 at 9:32pm   
Caitlin Crosse
You could build a little seat over it that can lift up. Alternatively a decorative trellis with gate around it.
March 1, 2013 at 9:49pm   
kgarrison1
I would visually create 3 squares/rectangles, with 1 of them being the window. This could be with simple decking, interlocking retaining wall bricks, or a long low bench and some planters. I would also make that wall more interesting, and thus the window less noticeable--window box, wall hanging planters, art, tiles, or even framing out some shapes on the wall and painting a different color. Definitely dont cover the window! I cant add the pics i found here, so I will try again...
March 1, 2013 at 10:31pm     
kgarrison1
I still cant, but just look up "bench with planters" on the photo search page of houzz and tons of great images come up that you can use for inspiration on any budget!
March 1, 2013 at 10:36pm     
OnePlan
I would have a wooden crate made that fits totally around the hatch in a U shape - have it the same height as the highest point of the hatch and stained / painted in the same colour that you will be painting the exterior of the house .

With a couple of shelves on the wall and a 'veggie patch ' sign this would draw the attention away from the hatch and as long as you keep the plants low level ( ie herbs ) it won't impede the light into the basement !

And will give you a great place to grow herbs for cooking with !!
March 2, 2013 at 2:13am     
Need help choosing patio door window treatments
I have a French Door that leads to our deck.Decorative...
Need help with patio door and window treatments for new house
We are just finishing a new Ranch home - open floor...
Need help for a patio door window treatmen
I will be purchasing a brown leather sofa with nail...
Septic and vent area on patio- need to hide these eyesores!
We are in the process of creating a 16x40 patio in...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
How do I hide these ugly speakers?!
These speakers ruin the aesthetics of the room, how...
Window treatments
All the wood in my new/old house is dark. Doors,window...
HELP ME PLEASE!!! I NEED COLOR and Brightness
Hello, I just bought this house about a month ago...