"choosing the right gray for walls"
terisme
I have a dark master bedroom that I would like to paint gray. I don't have any images yet, but I can tell you that I have dark brown hardwood flooring that has red undertones, and a mahogany sleigh bed. I'm trying to create contrast in the room to "brighten" it. Light walls just seem to look dingy because the room is so dark (northern exposure in the northwest). Thanks!
dalma darling
Selecting the "right gray" is quite a task! I'm slightly obsessed with the hue and have painted my exterior, bedroom and little darling's room gray!! Definitely paint a sample of your color on the wall and look at it during all types of light (day / night) When I first read your question, I immediately thought of this room: Pulp Design Studios It's a darker gray than what you're describing, but I think it might work well if you pull together the right accent pieces. I agree that the light walls could look dingy so you'll want to be careful not to select too light or "blue" of a gray.

Be sure to check out this Ideabook for some great color suggestions. The writer found some great true grays and detials the names which is always helpful! Ideabook: 50 Shades of Gray
April 1, 2013 at 9:18pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Here are some grays
April 1, 2013 at 10:24pm   
If your room is north facing it is pretty important you go with a warm grey (with yellow or red undertones) than blue green undertones. You need it to convey warmth not cool. The colours that Rockin has posted strike me as blue undertones. To brighten it, add pale grey sheets and then cream warm textures such as a sheepskin rug to bring in visual warmth. Don't add white as it is too harsh a contrast. Also don't forget to paint your ceiling 2 or 2 tones lighter than the colour of your walls.
April 1, 2013 at 11:20pm   
terisme
Thanks for the suggestions! I know what you mean about cool undertones. Many of the grays I've looked at (painted on my wall) look like concrete, or worse. The best I've found so far is Benjamin Moore Indian River. It's technically probably not gray, but I'm not worried about that. Pashmina is a close second (although it's a bit green-ish). I'm afraid to paint the ceiling anything but white after a fiasco in another room. I tried the 2 shades lighter idea and it didn't look good. Maybe with a gray/taupe my results would better.
I do love the image from Pulp Design Studios, but it's pretty cool, and need to keep it warmer.
April 2, 2013 at 4:52pm   
Need help choosing the right gray for bottom kitchen cabinets
I'm painting my honey oak kitchen cabinets Navajo white...
Choosing the right grays
Does anyone know what this exact color is. Also would...
Please help with choosing the right Gray
We have dark green granite countertops and would like...
Need help choosing right gray!
I'm making over the main bathroom, using corrugated...
Choosing the right gray paint
I'm having a paint issue and need help! My kitchen...
Cabin in the woods/Curb appeal?
Our home is in the woods and surrounded by trees, We...
damp walk out basement
Musty smell in basement rooms.
Help arranging furniture in living room
Hi, I can't decide what's the best furniture arrangement...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Need help for kitchen ???
We bought this house a couple of years ago and kitchen...