Lack of Lighting
ajones089
March 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Im moving into my first apartment next week ;-) I love the layout but one thing I'm struggling with is that the living and bedroom have no overhead lighting. I enjoy natural light and have a few lamps but are their any suggestions for creating dynamic lighting in both spaces?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Consider a torch lamp which reflects light off the ceiling.
March 2, 2013 at 9:47AM   
charleee
I also like floor lamps. Or you could do what we did in the 70's - get a hanging lamp and swag the cord across the ceiling! [houzz=
]
March 2, 2013 at 9:52AM   
barcis
If you really want overhead lighting, consider something that hangs, but is plug in. I think Ikea has some options like this. You can use a hanging hook (like you'd use for a planter) and then drape the cord. There are many options like this including crystal or modern pieces.
March 2, 2013 at 10:01AM     
judianna20
ditto, bobbi and rustic.

aj, take a look at these affordable plug in pendants from Ballard Design.

March 2, 2013 at 10:03AM     
Nancy Hehmann
Be sure to look at Lowes for floor lamps because if you are on a budget, they have some nice ones that won't break the bank and they look as nice as more expensive ones.
March 2, 2013 at 10:10AM     
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
First, light what you want people to look at (e.g. artwork, architectural features, etc.) Then, install task lighting (for reading, working, etc.) If you still need more light after that, keep in mind that you will feel like the space is well-lit if the walls are lit, as opposed to having downlighting. Also, you might try to maximize available daylighting by putting light-colored surfaces (such as white cabinets or bookshelves) adjacent to the windows, use mirrors if they will reflect the outdoors or well-lit areas from the prominent locations in the room, and white and/or sheer window treatments.
March 2, 2013 at 10:16AM     
ajones089
Thanks for the great input everyone! I am a recent college grad with entry level pay so my budget is very tight... I have the option to paint in the apartment, would certain colors have an impact on lighting or vice versa?
March 2, 2013 at 1:36PM   
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
In general, putting light-colored surfaces where they will reflect light is useful, and what ever color you use will color the light. If you are using fluorescents (as we seem all to be doing these days) then be sure to get the daylight or color corrected bulbs. Incandescent bulbs will have a yellower light, and make the space feel more interior. Sometimes, having a contrasting dark surface elsewhere (on the floor, for example) can make the light surfaces seem lighter by contrast.
March 2, 2013 at 2:17PM