For knowledgeable person on MDF Thermofoil cabinet doors....
julie77777
I was told by a refacing company that the MDF Thermofoil doors that his company uses are superior to MDF Thermofoil doors that some other refacing companies use because his doors are wrapped 100% in Thermofoil --- while the competitors use an MDF door that has Thermofoil on the front and sides, but then uses melamine on the back of the door. I guess that probably makes sense, but is it a big deal? His prices are higher of course, but the doors sure look great, no seems whatsoever. I'm looking a smooth white. Comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Sounds like Thermofoil has come a long way in the last few years.
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Thermofoil will still melt when it is exposed to heat. Not just the base cabinet to the right and left of the range that they recommend a heat sheild for, but also the ones to the right and left of the microwave or vent above and a heat sheild there would show.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 9:47AM
julie77777
Thanks much, Norm! We had a re-facing company in for an estimate - using pricing on the white MDF Thermofoil doors - we specifically asked the question about a couple of those doors being very close to our oven and if we would need to get heat shields. The rep (who has been involved with re-facing for many years) said no, that we would not need heat shields. But that sure doesn't mesh with what you and others are saying ........... wow.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 8:34AM
0825sam
That is interesting. I also had this issue. I called 5-10 cabinet shops in my area and everyone told me they have never installed heat shields in residential kitchens. But the warranty will not cover damage without them. In my case I did not read the warranty until it was too late and did not know that. (No damage though but they are new). My contractor also did not think they were necessary. But yes on here the recommendation consistently is to use the shields.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 8:40AM
julie77777
sam0705 -- interesting! hard to know what to do ..... did you get white?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:45AM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Always ask for the manufacturer warranty on anything. Most people don't think quartz counter tops will burn, but they do. Been there, done that.
2 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:45AM
0825sam
Yes we did white in a gloss finish - which is why we did thermofoil in the first place it was either that or acrylic to get the look we wanted and I didn't Like the extra seams and sharp edges (kids) on the acrylic.
In hindsight I would use them just because I am generally a better be safe than sorry person and I was kind of distressed about the whole thing when I found out.
What i have been told though is that it's not necessarily normal use that will cause damage it's high temperatures like the self clean setting on the oven.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 9:51AM
julie77777
I can understand about the self-cleaning setting on the oven ... but heat from microwave or coffee maker? Hmmmm. (Thanks sam0705 for your info!)
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 10:27AM
julie77777
More comments are welcome!
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 1:19PM
Best Floor plan?
Hi-I recently purchased an old row home and it still...
Trouble using houzz
After making a purchase I am unable to go back to "my...
Advice - pool vs lap pool
We are building a new home and have been looking at...
Backsplash help!!!
Hi my kitchen is all done except backsplash and paint....
Chair storage
My harvest table has 14 chairs, of which 6 are seldom...