What is the counter tops and island?
crash6563
March 2, 2013 in Photo Questions
subeeskitchen
Calcutta Gold marble on the island and pietra cardoza on the perimeter.
March 2, 2013 at 1:05pm   
Rosemarie Zito
How is the upkeep of these counters
March 11, 2013 at 2:01pm     
Rosemarie Zito
How is the upkeep of the marble and is there a different material that looks like the marble? Thanks
March 15, 2013 at 8:41am   
subeeskitchen
If you scroll through the other comments you'll see a lot of discussion on this topic. I haven't sealed the marble in 3 years and only clean it with dish soap. I haven't had any staining problems, but marble does etch when it comes in contact with acids like lemon juice, vinegar, etc.
March 15, 2013 at 11:42am   
joychantar
I love the look of marble. I've been told by many people not to get it, but I still want it because I haven't found any other material to have the same look. Does the etching bother you? Despite the warnings, I think I'm going to go for the marble as my kitchen countertop.
March 15, 2013 at 10:56pm     
subeeskitchen
The very first etch spot freaked me out a little, but now I'm over it and am embracing the "patina" that develops. Still very glad I didn't let people talk me out of marble. My only regret now is that I didn't go for a thicker slab! ($$)
March 16, 2013 at 4:13am     
joychantar
Thanks for your response and recommendation. I'm going to inquire about a thicker slab. Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!
March 17, 2013 at 1:33am   
lauriebtown
Marble was my first pick as well but I'm too particular to Deal with the potential staining and etching. Instead, I went with white macaubus granite. I attached a pic of it in my kitchen which was in progress. It was pricy but I love it almost as much as marble!
March 17, 2013 at 6:02pm     
subeeskitchen
Looks nice!
March 17, 2013 at 6:39pm   
joychantar
I saw the white macaubus and liked that as well! They told me it is quartzite. The vendor only had one slab and I need two. Not only that, it was much more pricey than another quote I got for the carrara marble. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget.
March 18, 2013 at 1:22am   
Rosemarie Zito
Thanks for all your help. I want the look of marble but less costly and more durable. Will I find it???
March 18, 2013 at 2:44am   
joychantar
I highly doubt it, but if you find it, let me know! The white macuabus quartzite is the closest thing you'll find. It is more durable than marble and can be less expensive than certain marbles. But in some cases it is as equally expensive and possibly even more expensive (depending on the marble and who is selling it). There are certain countertop companies that sell reconstituted quartz countertops that try imitate the look of marble, but I don't think it looks the same.
March 20, 2013 at 7:56pm   
lauriebtown
Joychanter, you're right, it's technically a quartzite but when I have said that to some people in the past, they naturally think quartz, a man made material which it is not. I was told that a quartzite is technically a granite with a higher level of quartz in it. This one was on the higher price range, I'm not sure how it compared to marble because I didn't price that knowing I would be looking for every stain and etch mark. I negotiated the price down with my distributor and paid $6k total for two slabs which included install, plumbing hook up and ogee edge. I'm in the dc metro so prices tend to be a bit higher out here. Also, my white macaubus has more swirl pattern but some have very linear straight lines giving it a much more contemporary look. The base color of mine has a touch of gray as apposed to a clean white base on a gray veined marble. Good luck and keep us posted on your selection!
March 24, 2013 at 7:20am     
paw9753
Hi can you tell me who you bought you white macumbaus from... I'm shopping for it now in the DC area.. Thanks
May 17, 2013 at 3:57pm   
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...
Too much wood?!?
We close on our home next week. I see great potential...
Recessing lighting placement on large covered patio
I have attached a diagram of how I think the lighting/fans...
Need help for my bathroom design
Moving into our new home… don't like the bathroom...
table for kitchen with medium wood floor, black cabinets, white quart
I am having trouble figuring out the wood table color...