Bedroom colors.
Danielle Lyn
So I want to paint our bedroom with a Tiffany blue accent wall, with a white headboard like the one shown in the picture but all white no polka dots. We have white night stands and tv stand as well. What im struggling with is bedding color and the color for the other three walls. Im thinking grey or silver? Any suggestions?
I would repeat the white in a quilt on the bed, and then create separation of color by using colored shams against the headboard, and again with a colored comforter folded at the foot of the bed.
March 2, 2013 at 7:40pm     
Keitha
Tiffany blue will be beautiful. I agree with white bedding tying in a touch of the blue on the bed
March 2, 2013 at 7:49pm     
Danielle Lyn
White bedding isnt an option....as we have two dogs that will just destroy white bedding.....I have to have darker bedding color
March 2, 2013 at 7:53pm   
Brown bedding, blue pillows.
March 2, 2013 at 7:58pm     
Danielle Lyn
I know im being difficult but we are just coming out of a rented house where they had the whole thing brown....I dont want anything brown. Im sick of brown.....
March 3, 2013 at 4:35am   
pixiesusan
I have a big Airedale that sleeps on my bed which is all white. I went to target and bought a white king sized polar fleece blanket. My quilt cover is cotton too so it's easy to wash and bleach but I don't do that very often, as the Target blanket works perfectly. Because it's white its blends in with the good bedding. Personally in the colors you are using the white would look the best. If i had to go with some other color I'd use a tan but that too will show dog dirt.
March 3, 2013 at 4:42am     
Danielle Lyn
ok well i may just have to rethink the whole idea....We tried white bedding, we have/had a very beautiful pottery barn duvet cover....its no longer white, Ive washed it, bleached, dry cleaned it. Our dogs just ruin white..
March 3, 2013 at 4:57am   
Danielle Lyn
maybe I will just paint the whole bedroom gray and do tiffany blue accents? Curtains throw pillow etc?
March 3, 2013 at 5:04am     
Monica McCleary-Stuart
Danielle that will work..I was going to suggest a light gray...Good luck.
March 3, 2013 at 5:11am   
pixiesusan
Maybe wash the dogs? ;) Ok I'm teasing... my dog gets dirty an hour after a bath. Honestly I've tried everything and unless you want to live with dirt brown prints, you have to make allowances for dogs in your family. I go with covering my bed and my new bone colored sofa (why I got that color is beyond me). If I'm having people over I take off the covers. I refuse to live with brown prints!
March 3, 2013 at 5:19am   
Danielle Lyn
yeah lol the problem is when they come in from outside. We choose dark silver/gray bedding, I really wanted the tiffanys color in there but I dont know if its going to workout.......
March 4, 2013 at 5:01am   
karly82
I too have dogs and I found that not letting them sleep on the bed keeps my bed covers lovely and white :o)
March 4, 2013 at 5:07am     
pixiesusan
LOL yeah not letting them on the bed is ideal. But Connor sneaks up there every time I turn around! Which is why I use a cheap fleece blanket. ;)
March 4, 2013 at 5:18am     
melibd
Buy your dogs their own bed....Your bed should be for you and your spouse, not for kids or dogs. Sorry....
March 4, 2013 at 5:22am   
Danielle Lyn
Commenting about not letting the dogs on the bed isn't answering the question. They have their own beds, that's not what the question was asking....and a fleece blanket is good in theory but didn't end up working out the last time we tried it
March 4, 2013 at 2:37pm     
Danielle Lyn
Pixiesusan yeah that seems to be what happens lol, we kick them off and they wait until we leave or are not in the room and curl up
March 4, 2013 at 2:39pm   
sandj7510
My dogs did that until they finally got so old they can't jump up anymore. Love having nice white covers again, but wouldn't trade those sweet dogs snuggling with me for anything. What about charcoal grey, with some Tiffany blue and white pillows?
March 4, 2013 at 2:46pm     
pixiesusan
my dog does have his own bed but he likes to sleep with me. I'm single so I'm fine with it. I fall into the category of "love me, love my dog" (which is probably why I'm single!). Actually my daughter slept with me too until she was about 3 years old. Now she is an independent 21 year old honors student getting an advanced degree in History and Education. We all do our own thing, which makes life interesting.

Keeping the dogs off the bed once they are allowed up there is tough. Won't dog dirt/grease show on gray too? I like the gray with Tiffany blue but I'm not sure that it will stay clean either.
March 4, 2013 at 3:04pm     
Danielle Lyn
yes, we are very much like that "love me, love my dog." We actually found a dark silver/gray comforter on clearance tonight which I am excited for. I dont know how its going to look with tiffany blue, so I may end just ditching the whole tiffany blue idea. Originally I was going to do gray and purple but I wanted something different, lighter. I have about a week to decide, before the painters come.
March 4, 2013 at 4:58pm   
Silver Gray will be gorgeous - and great with tiffany blue if you use it on the CEILING instead of the walls - and in a softer, more muted shade. Then do the walls in a neutral gray all the way around - something like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7657-tinsmith/ on the walls and http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6483-buoyant-blue/ on the ceiling. Then you can have silver, gray and pale aqua - add white / gorgeous!
March 4, 2013 at 5:26pm   
pixiesusan
Personally I think the Tiffany blue and gray will look fine. I hate to say but in my mind's eye the silver and purple is a bit dated, the Tiffany is just a classic.
March 4, 2013 at 8:56pm   
Danielle Lyn
@libradesgneye we thought of this but the ceiling is textured...which makes it really hard to paint.
@pixiesusan exactly, every one has done silver and purple, i want something different!
March 5, 2013 at 5:00am   
Danielle Lyn
I think we may just do a lighter/muted tiffany blue in the whole room with gray/silver accents? Our entire main floor of the house is now gray
March 5, 2013 at 5:04am     
Danielle Lyn
This is the color it turned out to be (1 and 2nd picture). I took the box to Home depot and had them reduce the box color by 50% but its still toooo bright...its growing on me thought. i like the silvery/gray with it! The bed is messy sorry we didn't get our king size bed yet so the blanket is way bigger than the bed and we dont have throw pillows or sheets yet for it but once we choose the fabric for the headboard I think the room will look more finished! We are going to make a head board like the thrid picture. We also got a white oversized chair for the room. Not what I wanted but its not bad!
April 1, 2013 at 7:22am   
Danielle Lyn
Just need to find a fabric i like now...lol im not good with discussions!
April 1, 2013 at 7:24am   
Dani - there are proven paints that are the right muted tones of this bright that you love. Problem with brights on the wall is that they read juvenile. Try SW meander blue for the look you are going for - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6484-meander-blue/
April 1, 2013 at 9:09am   
Danielle Lyn
Hi libradesigneye thanks for the idea but Im not painting that again lol! Its growing on me :)
April 1, 2013 at 9:57am   
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Orange room decoration?
I am painting my room a light orange (1st pic) and...
Which rug should I use here?
1 2 3 or leave the existing one or none?
Help us decide please!
We are trying to pick a tile for our mud room. The...