Moving to a much smaller space.
mcpherson007
March 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am moving to a townhouse and don't know how to arrange my furniture in the new space. I also need to live with the soft pink paint for a while. What color when I do paint as the rooms are all open? We plan on taking up the soft pink carpet in the living room and putting hard wood down.The last picture shows my living room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I assume that the draperies will be part of the sale. If they are creamy and not too pink, that's a plus! With all the light entering this space, you can go much darker with paint than your current living room. Will you be able to match the hardwood floor in the dining room and entry? Keep in mind that the volume of these spaces will likely cause a lot of echo - note the wall hangings the former owner used to help dampen that. You'll need lots of area rugs and soft upholstery to counter that tendancy. You can start now by selecting large area rugs. Look for colors in them that can be applied to your walls. If you use your painting there may be colors in it you could use. I don't think it is large enough for the FP wall in the new space though - maybe on the wall opposite it. You'll need a lot more furniture to make the space feel cozy. Start with pieces upholstered with fabric to help with the echo effect. Casegoods can wait. Your two sofas can work as in your present home at the FP but will be farther apart and will need a much larger rug, preferably one that they can sit on entirely. Two large armchairs could be angled on the wall opposite the FP, with your round table between them and your art with them. However, I think that table will be too small scale for the new digs. That's why I suggest shopping for your casegoods after you place your upholstered items. It is a great space - congratulations - and enjoy it.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 3:10AM