Knocking wall for kitchen diner
Bernice Burnside
March 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are knocking through this wall to create a kitchen diner. (Photo taken from the kitchen with playroom other side). Thinking we should retain 60 cm of wall on left - in first pic - as this may house a new fridge freezer which facing sideways Kitchen design still to be decided but would you recommend we do this or not? Builder leaving a small pillar on that side anyway so would just mean asking him to leave 60cm pillar instead. Any help in deciding would be really appreciated. Builder coming tomorrow!!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
To begin designing a kitchen you draw the entire space to scale on a computer or on paper. Then place your appliances sink table chairs etc on the floor plan. You do this to understand if your ideas can even work the way you envision them. I would recommend using a kitchen designer. Working by yourselves, the kitchen design would be limited by your experience and abilities, and starting the process in the wrong order does not bode well.

After the kitchen is designed then have several contractors come to give you bids and their input. This will save their time and make the bids lower and more accurate. After you have potential floor plans and have thought things through, this is when advice from Houzzers can be helpful.

When the job is not completely thought out advice on Houzz can be dangerous. You will be encouraged to make decisions also not thought out and coments will seem valid no matter who is making them.
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 5:15AM
Bernice Burnside
Thanks for your input. We have a few designs and floor plans but haven't yet made a decision on which to go for! Too many choices! However one thing we will more than likely do is put the refrigerator or larder unit in this space which will be about 4 feet from the planned island unit but out on its own- midway between new dining space and kitchen. My concern is that it could be too conspicuous and I wanted to ask if retaining a portion of the wall should help 'box it in'. We also have the option of a side panel or of just buying a feature fridge.
   March 3, 2013 at 5:26AM
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Post the designs you are considering on houzz. Then you will get valuable feedback. Without the floorplans any advice will be of little value.
   March 3, 2013 at 5:49AM
PRO
Dytecture
There doesn't seem to be enough width for a fridge to be placed as mentioned in the 1st pic. I agree, if you post some floor plan options you could receive far better ideas. Try saving them as 'jpeg' files first before attaching.
   March 3, 2013 at 5:53AM
Bernice Burnside
Kitchen design 1 with fridge part of units
   March 3, 2013 at 7:35AM
Bernice Burnside
Kitchen design 2 with fridge in are where wall will be knocked. There's 860mm space for the fridge from the door. Bear in mind that we may turn the island 90 degrees to the right so that the stools face the sink area.
   March 3, 2013 at 7:37AM