Decorating help desperately needed!
dlkula
Looking to add more color to this boring start to our master bedroom. Curtains? New pattern? Add a color or two to break up the grey? We like traditional style thanks everyone!
bevballew
Yellow is gorgeous. What color do you like? White? Teal?
March 3, 2013 at 7:41AM   
Photo Captures by Jeffery
I would go with colorful curtains, colorful bed pillows, more cheerful bed spread and you can't go wrong with adding some artwork/photos to the walls. Just my 1.5 cents worth.
March 3, 2013 at 7:43AM     
dlkula
Thanks but what color do you mean when you say cheerful? I agree this comforter is so Boeing and blah! Wasted a lot off money I guess:(
March 3, 2013 at 7:48AM   
Thomas Woolworth Photography
Since you already spent a lot of money on that bed spread. Let's work with it. What ever colors you add to the walls and other areas, then maybe one of them colors can be used for new pillow cases and throw pillows to help the bed spread.
March 3, 2013 at 7:59AM   
ciao44
I think you could keep the comforter - it's pretty. Just spice it up with some colorful pillows that have the gray but other colors, maybe a throw. Bigger lamps, a bench at the end of the bed, an area rug there too. Layers!
March 3, 2013 at 8:00AM   
Photo Captures by Jeffery
I mean bright and cheery. I would go with colors you like and as stated since you spent a lot of on it get a nice throw to lay across the bed and some nice colorful pillows.
March 3, 2013 at 8:05AM     
AMN
I believe that the comforter should be pretty neutral. Add color with decorative pillows, rugs, window coverings, and accessories. I think this comforter is very pretty. It will allow the accessories/extras to do their job of adding visual interest. If you have a huge expanse of visual interest, it becomes a lot less interesting very fast.

Color ideas: Silvery blue - Guest Room Redesign

Soft golds and caramels - Owners Bedroom

Green Gambrel Master Bedroom

Bright yellow: Master Bedroom

Medium aubergine/amethyst: Aliso Viejo Home
Bedroom

Also, it's a bedroom. It's supposed to be calming.
March 3, 2013 at 8:06AM     
dlkula
Oh wow I'm starting to feel better already! AMN those pics are great inspiration! And ciao I love your ideas for a rug and throw pillow! Thanks so much!
March 3, 2013 at 8:33AM   
dlkula
And Jeffrey I love your ideas too... Definitely accessorize in color! Thanks!!!
March 3, 2013 at 8:34AM   
dlkula
What color throw and pillows! Any chance I can bring red into this room since the rest of house is reds golds green ?
March 3, 2013 at 8:35AM   
shortped
And you can fold your current bedding at end of bed with contrast of bolder underlying bedding
March 3, 2013 at 8:36AM     
bevballew
Flower arrangement in red. Small arrangement. Maybe a piece of artwork with a touch of red.
March 3, 2013 at 8:43AM     
Lauren Bray
is this Restoration Hardware Italian VIntage Baroque duvet and shams in Fog? If so I've been searching FOREVER for personal pictures and not stock ones! I really like the bedding and contemplating biting the bullet and purchasing. I really love grays though :)
March 3, 2013 at 8:45AM     
queenofallthings
Pale teal or celadon would be lovely. Keep the comforter; keep the baby ;)
March 3, 2013 at 9:04AM     
dlkula
Yes! This is restoration hardware bedding, the same one you mention in fog!
Do you like it?
March 3, 2013 at 9:14AM   
Lauren Bray
I love it! I've been eyeing it for months now but just haven't quite gotten over the price for just the king duvet and king shams haha. But I think I'm going to get it next month for my birthday. Is it comfortable? I would fold the duvet down some to show your sheets like someone posted above to make it look more neat. Of course your sweet baby probably makes that hard :) Its a beautiful comforter though, I'd definitely keep it.
March 3, 2013 at 9:18AM   
victoriagrennan
What about a feature wallpaper like this:
March 3, 2013 at 9:27AM   
Amy Stanley
I think your bedding is gorgeous! You need some fuller pillows for the bed, your shams are not showing their true beauty. Layering some texture would help- if you look at this bedding on the RH site you will see it mixed with the other solid yet textured color dark gray bedding- I would get the textured linen, quilt and shams to go along with this set, change your lamps to something beefier they look too small for the room. I am a sucker for white- I would use white or teal or both to add another color other then gray.
March 3, 2013 at 9:37AM     
dlkula
Lauren... I bought it on sale so it was 30 percent which helped!! My husband and i find it pretty comfortable! Thanks for your help! I hope you get it for your birthday!!!!
March 3, 2013 at 9:56AM   
desparza2010

With your dark furniture, something like this would look nice!
March 3, 2013 at 10:00AM     
rosiegabby
Your bedroom is beautiful and not boring. The comforter is gorgeous. You have picked beautiful things that will be a perfect backdrop for the accessories.
March 3, 2013 at 10:02AM     
dlkula
Thanks Amy! Great advice to refer back to the RH website! I love it folded down much better!
March 3, 2013 at 10:03AM   
shortped
I like this bedding too. I think just add pillows in something else to Offset the print. Also, sunburst mirror over bed and other little touches of silver. Black framed photos of your family, etc
March 3, 2013 at 10:05AM     
shortped
Window treatment too
March 3, 2013 at 10:05AM   
desparza2010
I love your duvet cover. It's beautiful! I would keep it and add pops of color with it like the photo I posted earlier! (-;
March 3, 2013 at 10:06AM   
desparza2010
Here is the photo from RH
March 3, 2013 at 10:14AM   
dlkula
Thank you all for the compliments on our bedroom! Making me feel better and some great ideas!!! Love this site!!!
March 3, 2013 at 10:27AM   
rosiegabby
I think you need a puffier comforter in the duvet.
March 3, 2013 at 11:42AM     
dsharr
I vote for teal, like in the "Guest Room Redesign" posted by AMN. Red would go with that. Perhaps you could pick up colors in some sort of accent rug at the foot of the bed.
March 3, 2013 at 11:54AM   
AMN
If you're going to do red, a deep claret shade would look great. Nothing too shallow and light.
March 3, 2013 at 12:59PM     
dlkula
Oh my goodness rosiegabby! I think I do need a pudgier comforter!!!!
March 3, 2013 at 5:19PM     
Lauren Bray
is there a way to get a fluffier down comforter for the duvet without adding the heat? I love the puffy look and I think it would look great with your duvet.
March 3, 2013 at 5:39PM     
dlkula
I met puffier not pudgier haha!
March 3, 2013 at 6:13PM     
dlkula
I never thought about it figured they were all similar but now I know my problem! I need a new puffier comforter! Thanks everyone! Any suggestions where to find one????
March 3, 2013 at 6:14PM   
Lauren Bray
all over the place. Bed bath and beyond, macys, marshalls, ross, homegoods, ebay lol. Mine is from Ikea but its not fluffy because my husband gets really hot which totally kills my style ;) it all depends on how pricy you want to get!
March 3, 2013 at 6:23PM   
bevballew
I thought pudgier was cute!
March 3, 2013 at 6:30PM   
bevballew
I think you need several large pillow shams against the headboard. Maybe that is where you can find a print that combines several colors and the a throw at the end of the bed.
March 3, 2013 at 6:38PM   
rosiegabby
Yeah you can get a puffier comforter that is not hot. Down is somewhat heat regulating. The higher the fill number the puffier, lighter the fill. It gets expensive (eider down).

I live in south texas and use a down comforter all year long.

Here is an link to an 800 fill which about as high as they go, there maybe an 850 fill. Try for 650 or more.
http://www.cuddledown.com/product/800-fill-power-sateen-down-comforter.do?green=C4156A33-D09C-540E-9D19-EEFB2186ED9D
March 3, 2013 at 6:56PM   
AMN
Company Store carries different levels of comforters. We have the medium one. It's too hot for us, and I am someone who is often cold! Look for the lighter-weight ones.
March 3, 2013 at 6:59PM   
rosiegabby
Really try for 700 and watch for the down/feather percent. More feathers = heavier, hotter. I think by law 25% feather comforter can be sold as a. Down comforter. A really good down comforter is such a luxury - looks good, not hot, just right.

Many comforter sellers sell by size and weight (ounces of down) - summer weight, winter, very cold weather. A 20 oz 800 fill is going to be a lot puffier than a 20 oz 600 fill.
March 3, 2013 at 7:04PM   
rosiegabby
Another thing about good down - it does not flatten out. Ours is still puffy after 12 years.
March 3, 2013 at 7:08PM   
Lauren Bray
So I looked at the cuddledown...I picked the King 800 sateen down blanket..will that work? We live in San Diego and the weather is mainly warm but we have cool nights too.
March 3, 2013 at 7:24PM   
rosiegabby
No the blanket is very thin. It won't give you a puffy look. Take a look on Amazon for 700 fill and get more weight - like level two or three (cuddle down terminology). Cuddle down is reputable and I have several things from them but the reason I mention amazon is because of there return policy if its not what you want.
March 3, 2013 at 7:34PM   
If you layer in a beautiful fabric print that works with that gorgeous bedding, and brings in your red . . .well, even a drapery panel or accent pillow would do a lot. That will help you get the lush look you like. Add a red leather box on the bureau, and a red leather club chair.
look at http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/red/nomi+red.do (a pillow) http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=84&productID=6489&pStart=200&recNum=233
(recover an ottoman?)
Now the eye starts to see the sterling and red repeated here . . .
March 3, 2013 at 7:36PM   
rosiegabby
Cuddle down level one might work for the look and temperature. Here is a link to their buying guide. http://www.cuddledown.com/product/comforter+guide.do
March 3, 2013 at 7:47PM   
Lauren Bray
level one will give the puffy look?
March 3, 2013 at 7:48PM   
rosiegabby
I think so because 800 fill is a lot of loft. Check the return policy if its not what you want. You might want to call them.
March 3, 2013 at 8:00PM   
rosiegabby
Here is a link. The photo in the upper right compares 600 and 800 fill down. 800 is almost twice as puffy. This is all approximate but generally higher fill number = puffier/more loft and is better quality.
http://www.downandfeathercompany.com/categories/how-to-choose/how-to-choose-fill-power.aspx
March 3, 2013 at 8:06PM     
decoratingdazed
Def good decision on duvet! I was looking at that one and one from Bassett. Should have gone with yours. Still like it but not as good quality. Mine too is bland colors tans and greys. I added teal color to it and a like grey and white rug under the bed. I can upload photos for you tomorrow if you like. Kids asleep in there rt now :) I love the colors together. I agree with adding a bench in color or a reading chair.this is mine. Ballards now sells it. They have great accents
http://www.ballarddesigns.com/merivale-floral-bedding/261657?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=0
March 3, 2013 at 8:13PM     
decoratingdazed
I had custom pillow covers made for the European shams and was going to do the same for accent pillows if I could have found cheap fabric I liked. I ended up finding cheap $10 pillows at Garden Ridge of all places that were the exact color I had in my head!
March 3, 2013 at 8:15PM   
designergirl1156
Apple green, raspberry and yellow. Throw, pillows, curtains, Find a piece of art you like and take colors from that.
March 3, 2013 at 8:19PM   
Liz Musson
I painted the wall behind the bed in a deeper shade..(mine is charcoal), and then a set of sheets and add the pillowcases in whatever color you prefer...yellows, reds, etc...
March 3, 2013 at 8:26PM   
dsharr
You could do full-length shears on the windows or something that would give them vertical dimension and add color to the room.
March 3, 2013 at 10:23PM   
Connie
I would add black and red. red lamps, a couple of red cushions, perhaps a red/black and grey rug, big pictute (charcoal sketch) above the bed.
March 3, 2013 at 10:44PM   
Cheery Curtains
Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations. Cheery Curtains offers a wide range of quality curtains at affordable prices. Mouse over the image for a better view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to our website or just contact me directly at nophie@cheerycurtains.com :)

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Website: www.cheerycurtains.com
Email: nophie@cheerycurtains.com
March 3, 2013 at 11:03PM   
My husband and I are not decorators and need desperate help! Please
The chair is our log furniture throughout the camp....
Desperately needing help with wall decor
I went from a black wall with large canvas pics that...
Need desperate help decorating long room.
So, we're having a hard time deciding how to decorate...
Need some help/inspiration updating my newly purchased 60's home
Hey all, I need some help and insight into what might...
What kind of couch would look good in this room?
I have tried to put 2 different couches in this room...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
Paint
Building a new home. I'm leaning towards a medium gray...
Are my kitchens ideas any good?
Whilst I'm in the process of finding a kitchen/interior...