Using imported iron windows
rudy51
I am working with a Dutch professional and experienced company to build our thermo break iron windows and doors. The material is made in Switzerland and has all European tests. However I do not have any tests for USA from the construction company. Can I install those windows and doors in my house in VA? Will it past local building code?
How are the rules in VA if you would build your own windows and doors? Thanks. Rudy
Eagledzines
Unless someone from VA has the answers, you could find out by calling the code enforcement officer at the city hall where you are living and he will have the answer.
March 3, 2013 at 8:15pm   
Revolutionary Gardens
Your best bet is to take the test results with you to the permit office and go over everything with a plan reviewer in person. I have no idea what the next step would be if they disallow the European test results.
March 3, 2013 at 9:00pm   
Ironwood Builders
Most building departments will issue a variance based on another code or manufactured product. An"alternate materials or methods" variance. It will cost more money and time, but if you really like the windows.... What you won't qualify for are government energy tax credits. Your windows need to be approved and have a special sticker that rates their energy dispersal/insulating value to qualify.
March 3, 2013 at 10:35pm   
Fenstermann LLC
There could be consequences for using a non-rated product. Talk to your Architect, or Builder and have them help you with this decision.
March 4, 2013 at 9:58am   
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Hardwood or tiles for kitchen?
I am a new home owner of a 10 year old house. I'm planning...
Fix A Strange Bathroom Situation
My upstairs bathroom situation is kind of unique. ...
Help with family room layout
Hi everyone! I need you help! We just finished remodeling...
Office - How to decorate open shelves
I've just had cabinets and shelving intalled in my...