Tempered Glass logo
belindamagruder
March 3, 2013 in Other
We just installed three sets of 15 light french doors. They came pre-hung and pre-primed. After letting the trim paint harden for two weeks as suggested by the painter...we just began cleaning the windows to find there is a "tempered glass logo" on each pane of the glass! I have tried to take it off with a razor, acetone, and mineral spirits and have come to the conclusion that they are etched in the glass! I would like to know if anyone has ever come across this? I would think it is a mistake by the manufacturer. No one caught it until this week because the glass panes were protected with plastic on each side and spray primed so you could not see the glass. I am very upset as we paid big $ to have them painted (sprayed) and the results are beautiful! I have never seen logos on each window pane ever in a french door! Has anyone else?
Ironwood Builders
Your doors are required to be tempered by code. All US code enforcement bodies agree with this. The only way for them to tell if the glass is tempered when they look for it, is that little logo. The logos are very discreet, most of my clients need them pointed out. The window and door manufacturer is complying with law...and now, so are you.
March 3, 2013 at 11:13pm   
belindamagruder
Thank you for the feedback, and I knew that it is by law to have the logo..however in this case it is on every single pane of glass. You can see them and it looks like thing floating in the air when the doors are closed. I used to sell new homes and yes I have seen the logos before on one pane at the bottom oor top of the soors..but not every single pane in an 8 foot glass french door. I have had several friends come look and they all agree no way! Thanks
March 4, 2013 at 4:40am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
If you have divided light doors, then it is required on each pane. The others you have seen must be simulated divided lights or have the grills between the glass or have the pop-off grills. In that case it is only one piece of glass and there is only one logo required.
March 4, 2013 at 4:47am   
belindamagruder
Thank you. I am absolutely appauled that each piece of glass has the logo. It looks downright stupid. It is real panes divided and not a grid on top of one piece of glass. I am calling my builder today and having him call the manufacturer as I have never seen this in any other home. I used to sell homes for a very high end builder and there were french doors throughout the house, they were real single panes of glass, and no way a logo on each single pane. Thank you for the feedback. I understand what you are saying and will be looking further into this as it is unacceptable in appearance.
March 4, 2013 at 5:21am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Your government at work.
March 4, 2013 at 6:31am     
S. Thomas Kutch
Really...........? No it's not a mistake by the fabricator, it's called code and legal compliance and just about everybody I know of in this industry (construction and design) knows and understands that tempered glass comes with an identification as such.........
March 4, 2013 at 9:35am   
Tell us about: Your first apartment
I remember mine well, the reasons I chose it, the roommate...
Need Help - Window or corner cabinet? Take a look.
Hello All - Thanks for taking a moment to read about...
Obsessing over exterior colors! Help!!
Building my "forever home" ... 6 months ago had no...
NEW HOME.....BLANK SLATE!
We recently moved in and am ready to decorate! I have...