Need Help Deciding on Bathroom Vanity Width for Very Small Bathroom
slooper2
I am remodeling a very small bathroom (approx. 5 ft x 8 ft). I cannot relocate bathtub or toilet, but can change vanity position, since I need to update the pipes, anyway. The space between the edge of the toilet and the wall is 40'' wide. What size /type of vanity is ideal for this setup? I am looking for something that feels comfortable (not too narrow), and that provides a minimum of storage (at least for some towels and a hairdryer), yet does not overwhelm the limited space, or make it feel closed in. I redid one of these bathrooms in the past, and chose a 36'' cabinet with doors and drawers, that provided plenty of storage, but it made the bathroom feel smaller and cramped. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
joanbllt
Look at a demi round vanity about 18" deep centered on that 40 inches. The door swing should then clear the vanity easily. Issue then becomes one of style - Most demi round vanities seem to be very traditional.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 11:26AM
slooper2
Interesting idea. I will look for pictures to see what's available. Thanks!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 12:01PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
A tiny bath where a closet used to be in an NYC apartment. The pics are dark (sorry). Vanity is shaped like a dixie cup (remember those?) and the shower is floor to ceiling tile and glass. The vanity was a great buy and measures 27" Dia. Front swings open to two shelves for storage. Mirror is self-lit.
Out of view in a corner is a tall, narrow cabinet mounted to the wall. The inside back of the cabinet door is a mirror for dressing, three drawers for toiletries, and shelving. Inside the tall cabinet we added a light which comes on when opened.
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 12:16PM
rinqreation
Idea: Pick one like this cabinet (also available in white from ikea), it's 2' high, so hangs free from the floor. Add a high shelf with towels above the mirror.

1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 12:24PM
slooper2
Nice work @Jeffrey Brooks! That little bathroom has a lot of personality. I like the that the mirror is larger than the vanity -it really opens up the space, and makes the light bounce all over the reflective walls. It does help create the illusion of a spacious surrounding. Thanlk you for the pictures!
Also, thanks for the idea @rinqcreation!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 5:12PM
Overland Remodeling & Builders
The ideal minimum clearance for a toilet is 30" (15" from the center of the toilet to each side. Following this measurement should give you the space left over for the vanity

Btw, I'm not sure where you're from but that's the code in Southern California
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 10:10PM
JWinteriors
Your entry door is the biggest problem as it is centered, not allowing a deeper vanity. Solution..move door over to far right giving you the full 2 feet for a kitchen height cabinet,,,even if its an open version with nice towels and baskets for stuff.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 11:25AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I have the same problem in my new cabin. I am putting in a custom vanity that has a piano curve top.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 11:38AM
JWinteriors
Photo
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 12:26PM
JWinteriors
Option...
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 2:44PM
slooper2
Thanks for all the suggestions! @JW Interiors, I like the option of open vanity that is shown on the second picture -- What width do you suggest? Do you know the manufacturer?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 3:15PM
slooper2
@Interiors International, Inc.-is this what you mean by a piano curve top, or is it more like a banjo? Could you put a picture, or tell me what the type/ size? Thanks!
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 4:47PM
slooper2
Does anyone have experience with Ikea vanities -- do they hold up well in the bathroom? The suggestion by rinqcreation had been my first pick, due to its good price and open floor space below, but my contractor advised against it due to their quality. Vigo makes similar, but sturdier ones, but they are pricey, so I am hesitant. Anybody knows any similar affordable options?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 4:57PM
rinqreation
Ikea will hold for quite a few years. Higher cost mostly does mean higher quality sink (cabinets are often equal). As in: can stand chemicals better. So as your cleaning with soft soap, you'll be fine.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 12:21AM
IKEA vanities- have used them a number of times. As long as you don't intend to have 40 minute steam showers, they are fine. My advice is to go for the ceramic sinks of IKEA not the resin versions. Odensvik is ceramic.
2 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 1:06AM
need help deciding what color to paint walls of very small kitchen
very small kitchen….when finished the kitchen will...
Nancy Searle
NEED HELP DECIDING ON FLOORING IN A SMALL BATHROOM
SMALL BATHROOMN UPDATE. HAVE BONE TO BEIGE TUB AND...
trc59
Need Help Deciding Tile Size and Pattern for Small Bathroom
I am about to purchase tile to use in my small bathroom...
slooper2
Need help deciding paint colors for a small bathroom
The bathroom tiles will be assorted creams, tans, and...
loristricklin
Help! Need help deciding bathroom vanity countertop!
I am so undecided. I have a medium colour wenge vanity...
Leanne Schweighardt
Bedroom Design Help
Hi! I recently re-did my teenage daughter's bedroom,...
simerjit
bedroom ideass
any ideas for decorating a small black and silver room...
imogend
My Big Dilemma
My sister died 7 years ago and I didn't get a chance...
Sandy Goudreau
Top views. Our favorite :)
We use true-to-life images to present our ideas to...
Vanguard development LA
Grey or grey or grey?
Hi everyone, would love some advice on what you think...
sambs8