Need nursery advice: curtains/shades and more

AlexandraMarch 3, 2013
I'm still trying to finish up the nursery for my 5-month-old daughter (the room was being built when she was born, otherwise I wouldn't be this far behind). Right now it's dark when she goes to bed; in a few months that will change, so I need to get going on window coverings, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

The main problem I'm having is that instead of closet doors, I'm doing curtains on the closet, and I'm not sure what to do on the closet versus the window - should they match, or just complement (solid on one and pattern on the other?)? Would a shade be better on the window to prevent two different types of curtains looking strange together? Should the window curtains be to the floor (the heat vent is directly under the window) or just the length of the window? If the curtain/shade for one area is inside the trim, does the other one need to be inside the trim (window trim to be installed soon)? Should I do a light-blocking panel plus an additional decorative panel on the window, or just one? You get the idea. Please help! Any other advice, like colors or fabrics, is also appreciated. I'm going for a welcoming, feminine (but not too girly) look.

Since I'm asking, I do have two other questions: what should I put in the large area of bare wall to the left of the crib (as you can see, I have a few frames/pictures on the floor, but they're all fairly small)? And what do you think about the lace above the changing table? It was my great-grandmother's, and I really want to incorporate it into the room, but it's not looking quite how I pictured in its current location. Lastly, if it matters, I'll be replacing the small table with the lamp with a small bookshelf.

Thank you so much for your help!
0825sam
Hi! First thing that jumps out at me is the rocker is jutting into the room and cutting off the entry. I would put it in the corner next to the crib and it will also take up some of that wall. can the little chair and shelving fit to the left of the window without cutting off access to the closet? Then if you like decals (which I only do in kids' rooms) I think that wall next to the crib is a perfect place for one. In my daughters nursery I got a blowing tree from etsy that started next to the rocker and "blew" it's leaves over the crib.
I would frame the lace in a big rectangular frame with matting.
I would put patterned curtains on the closet and a roman shade over the window. You could do the shades that have a stripe down each side (check restoration hardware baby) in a color from the patterned curtain.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:03PM
oneofeleven
I like what sam has suggested. If you don't want to do a roman blind you could put a regular room darkening blind with some panels that match the closet or a valance in the same fabric. I think a rug, maybe round with some of the colours from the change table would look nice and warm the room up. Another suggestion is a mobile over the change table, I always found it kept the baby still while changing her diaper and is good for development. You could make one yourself, get some ideas on Pinterest. My last suggestion is to move the lamp and small table out of the room. Your daughter will be crawling soon and the lamp is a hazard. Ikea has some nice wall lamps and you can add a coloured shade. The room is lovely just needs a few accessories (perhaps something your mum saved from your childhood).
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:20PM
Genevieve
sheers for the window a grow chart some nice pictures , a small chair ,Modern Kids Decor design by Other Metro Amazon
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:32PM
Interiors Unleashed
A good rule of thumb for different type/size windows/openings in a space is to change the size and the shape of the covering, but not the material. You could do your curtains for the closet and use the same material for a valence above the window. Then you could get any kind of blind to help with light control.

I would suggest to put the curtain and valence at the same height, either inside or outside the framing. If you do a blind and valence, you will need to put it outside.

It will be easier to use a valence in the same fabric than to try to get window panels to look nice beside the large closet ones.

The space looks nice and fresh and things will find their place as you use the space. Most important is that you and your baby feel comfortable and it is easy to do what you need to do.

Baskets in book shelves hide lots of needed stuff and keep the room from looking cluttered.
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:32PM
Genevieve
I will try to post the picture again .
M[houzz=
2-Piece Solid Lavender Purple Sheer Window Curtains · More Info
Kids Decor design by Other Metro Amazon
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:32PM
Keitha
Here are some cute wall treatment ideas?
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:38PM
Jo Walker
For the window: White blinds with white sheer curtains with cut outs that go to the floor (I found cute ones with bird cut outs from Zgallerie). Then you can do colorful curtains for the closet.
Center the crib on the Large wall with cute pics & frames above, I love the idea of framing the lace! to the left of crib do the rocker in the corner by the window, to the right of crib you could do your changing table. Corals and blues would be super cute! Fun project, good luck!
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 1:09PM
Jennifer
Lovely nursery so far! I agree with most of what has been said before this. I might go with a white wooden blind and a nice valance with a contrasting (but still in same color scheme) fabric for the closet curtains. I did my daughter's nursery with a modern pink dandelion printed valance from a local store here in my town. (see http://www.kangaroocloset.com) I would also agree with framing the beautiful heirloom lace in a large frame with a nice matte around it. To give it more punch, you could also find some modern graphic paper to put behind the lace in the frame and then the graphic would pop through...kind of combining the old with a more modern twist. You could center the framed lace on the crib wall and then build around it adding the other pictures you have in a collage sort of way. If you are like me, you'll love the furniture around after some time so by centering pics on the main wall, you won't have to worry about moving around artwork. Good luck! Post pics when you are done!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 5:51PM
Alexandra
Thanks, everyone! I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm leaning toward a white roman shade on the window and patterned curtains on the closet. I also liked the ideas of a white blind on the window and matching patterned curtains on the closet and window, or white blind and white curtain on the window and patterned curtain on the closet. I'm having trouble finding curtains I love, but I'm still looking.

For some reason I really dislike valances, so although that is a good suggestion, it's just not for me.

Great idea about framing the lace - I will definitely look into that. Do you think I will need to have one custom made? And I assume the mat would cover the edges of the lace?

I'm also going to try moving the rocker, as you suggested, sam. And I'm looking into wall decals and a second mobile for over the changing table. Oneofeleven, I was planning to replace the small table with a small bookshelf I have (once it's painted). I've checked out Ikea's wall lights and found one I really like, so I may do that as well.

Once I've made a few changes, I'll post more pictures. Thanks again!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:37PM
Susanna
No, you have the lace mounted instead. The lace lies on top of the mat board so the color you choose shows through the lace holes. Don't cover the edges of the lace. Frame shops ( even at hobby lobby) do this all the time. They can help you.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:44PM
oneofeleven
I was just on Etsy and they have several sellers of wall decals. As for the lace, you could get that framed at Michael's Crafts (use their weekly coupon) and if you aren't finding any curtains you love, try looking at sheets and tablecloths, sometimes they work just as well. Looking forward to your finished post.
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:48PM
Susanna
Samples: one on the left is on mat board. The one on the right is on burlap. Same principle. You choose the mat board color or fabric (silk, linen, denim or whatever) Personally, I like the way the one on the right was done. I think the frame is better with the lace, but you get the idea....
1 Like    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:59PM
mveasey
All great suggestions here. Nobody has mentioned safety for the baby though. Once she start to pull herself up on things, your shelf should be really mounted to the wall. Curtains should not be flimsy, they could rip and shades should not have cords dangling down. You can get cordless ones these days.
Love the framing and decal idea. What a lucky baby!
Susanna
These are fabric stickers rather than vinyl...If you enlarge them, you can see the fabric patterns. They come in different color combinations.
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:24PM
Kayla Thomas
Not going to answer all the questions (but I do think you should mat and frame your grandmother's lace), but I'll show you what we did with curtains/blinds in our nursery.

We have a blackout shade that can pull all the way down and blocks out most of the light. It's not overly attractive, accordian style (no strings- pull down, push up), but when it's up all the way it's only like 1 1/2" thick, and it's white so it blends well. I tend to leave them half way down though. Then I made some decorative curtains that are also functional. When everything's open, it looks nice and airy, but it does a good job making the room very dark too. I used canvas, and the lining is just a sheet (cheaper than curtain liner-- $5/twin size flat sheet at Wal-mart).
1 Like    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 10:33PM
Hilary Lindsey
The lace is great! Here is a photo I found that might be similar.
    Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:10PM
0825sam
Hi again - if you haven't looked on etsy for curtains that's a place to look too. There are a lot of fabric choices if you want a pattern. Some shops will make you what ever you want.
I've gotten kids decals from the etsy shops goat grin studio and janey Mac.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 4:52AM
JWinteriors
Kayla...window treatments are brilliant! I would do 2" white wood blinds for a clean look and light control. Add window panels. I would, in all honesty, add white french doors to your closet. The curtains will always be in your way and will drive you crazy..not to mention, inexpensive. The other alternative is add double width panels on both in matching fabric, installed at the ceiling height and pulled apart with tie backs. They will match and be fanciful.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:01AM
JWinteriors
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:02AM
Nicole Ransom
I suggest moving the crib to the middle of the room. Move the rocking chair to the other side of the crib (in the corner). An accent wall behind the crib would be nice. Curtains to hide the clothes in the closet and curtains at the windows. Wall art.
If your interested, I think the shelves would look nice painted white. Home Depot sells furniture paint.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:00PM
bigbama9
A cute moral on the wall or polka dots
For curtains try a pink or green
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 3:43PM
Alexandra
I just bought these great fabric decals by Oopsy Daisy on MyHabit. Susanna, I LOVE that lace on burlap example. Will definitely do something like that. I'll keep you all posted but it may take some time because I live in a very small town that's more than an hour from a Lowe's or Home Depot and 2+ hours to a Michael's or Hobby Lobby type store. I did rotate the crib 90 degrees and move the rocking chair to the other wall and it's definitely an improvement. Kayla, your curtains look great! Thanks for the tips.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 9:54PM
Susanna
Just FYI...on etsy...can't tell if you already have some bookends. These are beanbag style and "match" your room decal.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:48AM
Zebra print ceiling for a nursery
We are planning a nursery. The room is tiny--not...
debari
Need curtain advice
I would like to put white linen curtains up on the...
Tiffany Keane
Need help with color choices for the baby girl's nursery
We want to do a nursery for our baby girl in minty...
ivy1999
Need Paint Advice for Nursery
I am getting ready to paint my baby boy's nursery...its...
jcolby1
Nursery ideas
I need help with a collage wall I'm putting together...
schillinger
Help with complimenting paint color for island!
I am using BM Stonington Grey (at 50%) on the walls,...
brookepryor
lounge chairs or sofa for playroom/media room?
Should I add one or two more lounge chairs or a sofa?...
Helena Bryan
Need help for blank wall in kitchen
I remodeled my kitchen and love it however I have...
penelope62
Brighten up my VERY DULL living room (throw pillows/curtains help)!
My living room is SO dull and safe. I am looking to...
midwestmelissa
Keep or Ditch the dining room?
My husband and I recently purchased a custom colonial...
Stacey Heagle