How important is a coat closet near front door?
busu
To open up our front room during this remodel, I've been trying to work around the coat closet. It JUST occurred to me to move it. It wouldnt be near the front door though. Do you think this is something a future homebuyer would care about?
astraea
I cared, when I was house hunting! If you don't have a closet near the point of entry, it becomes too easy for people to just drop there stuff where you DON'T want it. Depending on the weather in your area, the closet would be home to bad weather footgear, which you wouldn't want people to walk further into the house with.

The house I bought had been opened up during a complete renovation in the late 1990s, and I think a lot of walls & closets were removed, to visually enlarge the house. A steep price to pay!
March 3, 2013 at 12:40pm     
busu, your profile doesn't say where you live in the US. As Astraea notes, the value of a coat closet right by the front door is a bit dependent on weather. I suspect if you live in an area with four seasons, the coat closet near the front door is pretty important to future homebuyers. If you live in southern climates, perhaps less so? I know in Ohio I care very much that my coat closet is up front, and I wish it were twice the size!
March 3, 2013 at 1:04pm     
astraea
Right feeny .. I stash a shovel in a corner of my coat closet, during the snowy season!
March 3, 2013 at 1:14pm     
Oh, I would LOVE it if mine fit a show shovel. We do, however, manage to fit the vacuum cleaner and four leaves of our dining table in the back of ours. I just wish there was more hanging room for coats! We are always full up.
March 3, 2013 at 1:17pm     
astraea
I learned something after my Mom died .. it takes 2 people to open the dining room table, to add or remove the leaves. So now they're in, and staying there, since I can't get them out by myself! Besides, I get a lot of use from the table as a work surface for group projects! :))
March 3, 2013 at 1:33pm   
Linda
I bought my house despite its lack of a main floor closet, but it definitely causes some issues. We have a coat tree by both the front and back doors, but that isn't a great substitute for a door to stash things behind. Personally I would be more concerned with the size and functionality of the closet than its exact location.

Also important to me would be whether the house had a side/rear entrance commonly used by the family. If so, and that area had a mudroom/coat closet, the front closet location wouldn't be near as important
March 3, 2013 at 1:40pm     
JWinteriors
As Linda suggested, a lot of families use the entry from the garage as their main entry into the house. This is where a closet is most important. If only guests use the front door, than relocating it isn't an issue.
March 3, 2013 at 8:03pm   
wildfan
It wouldn't bother me at all not to have a coat closet near the front door, as we never use ours. We enter through the garage and keep all of our things in the mudroom. For us a bench and a few hooks on the wall for guests would suffice.
March 3, 2013 at 8:10pm   
astraea
I have a couple of "good" coats; I wouldn't want them on a hook anywhere, if I was visiting. It seems like some people never expect visitors; very strange!
March 4, 2013 at 4:09am   
Not only do I NEED a closet by the foyer when house hunting in addition to a closet in the mud room area, but a spacious one (at least 6-8 feet) for guests and also family members as well.

If you have a floor plan showing the current and new location of the closet it would help us visualize the changes.
March 4, 2013 at 6:19am     
Tammy Wallace
I'm struggling with this same issue now. We are building and love everything about our plan except our three year old daughter's room would be 9'8' x 10 and is small. Space to this room is lost by a 2x4 closet in the entry. So what's more important? Off season storage and occasional guest storage (hooks would probably suffice for that) or creating extra space for toy storage so it doesn't spill out into the rest of the house?
last Monday at 6:36am   
Tammy Wallace
I should mention we do have a large closet off the garage entry
last Monday at 6:37am   
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...
Is this horrible for a basement bath? If not, what color paint/wood?
We are contemplating this tile combo for our bath -...
Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
Hi everyone, Awesome site first of all. My fiancé...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...