Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdidea

Need help with landscaping around the fountain.

sdidea
11 years ago
Want BIG help!!! The fountain is between our bedroom and back outdoor kitchen / patio. We can see the fountain as we enter the house. The glass windows are in our living room and the fountain is seen from there. We planted the fountains area but can decide how to landscape it.

Comments (13)

• njmomma
    11 years ago
    Yarrow Garden · More Info

Love the pavers with grass in this photo:
    Private Residence · More Info

Italian Style in Newport Coast, California · More Info

A Classical Journey: The Houses of Ken Tate · More Info
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the comments. The area is small and I'll put the measurements soon.
  • PRO
    EasyTurf
    11 years ago
    I may be biased, but I'm completely against pouring more concrete - it's hard, gray and cold. If I may suggest, regardless of the other plants you bring in, lay down a lush, green carpet of grass - EasyTurf :)
    It looks and feels just like grass - it's great for kids and pets, and provides a canvas of sorts to bring in your other landscape elements. The main differentiation in EasyTurf products is the MaxxFlow backing, a proprietary 100% permeable backing that drains faster and cleaner than any other turf backing, standing toe to toe with the best permeable paver technology. (video here www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPiptLLbaqs)

Other artificial grass brands either have holes punched into the back for drainage or have to come to complete saturation before draining, absorbing bacteria, allergens, urine and other materials before draining.

Check out some of our recent installs -
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/82915/Backyard-Installations
    Hope it helps! Take care,
    George
  • PRO
    Rustic Brick and Fireplace
    11 years ago
    I would venture to say you have a few decent options. Personally, I would love the look of cut bluestone pavers with scotch moss in between. However, you could also separate the gaps with pea gravel or smooth stones. If you are looking at planting, I would recommend keeping some relatively low growing and flowing plants like liriope, hakonechloa, hosta, etc.

courtyard garden · More Info
  • User
    11 years ago
    Wow huge fountain in a cute nook. Personally I find the area already very symmetrical and boxy. I would aim to soften the whole section to give a more relaxing balance ie no more squares, lines, paths, clipped, hedged or trimmed. Instead go for natural logs, large or stacked stone and soft forest plants. If you are planning to sit outside aim to relax!
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The area is 15.6 by 11.6 that includes the concrete landing from the bedroom.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    How to plant the garden depends greatly upon where you live! The temperature zone makes all the difference.
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    Plant a flowering evergreen shrub at intervals to circle the fountain and once it grows in trim the top to sit below the lip of the basin. Between that and the patio concrete and windows, use something like variegated groundcover with a different shade of green - no more than 12" - 18" high at maturity. Ivy would be a good choice to soften the hard edges. Put some classic trough concrete plant containers on the edge of both patios seasonally to fill with flowers.
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry I should have mentioned. We are at the tail end of zone 7b. It is safe to assume 7a.
    Thanks for all the help so far!
  • nikitasmom
    11 years ago
    Check out this site on ideas for using recycled glass. I can also see some curved stone benchs next to the fountain. http://www.americanspecialtyglass.com/page.html?id=6
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I planted some plants but need some more ideas as to where to add more. Please!!! So far all suggestions were so helpful but I'm lost:(.
  • curryj
    10 years ago
    Be sure to use evergreens so that it will be beautiful in the winter months.