Landscaping/ curb appeal help needed
sgausman
Our house is on the market and real estate is particularly slow in our community. Several weeks ago i requested interior staging assistance and received amazing advice. Now I am asking for more help with improving curb appeal. We added the porch railing several years ago, which made a big difference. I know we need plants, but not sure where to begin. We are in zone 6. Would like to keep costs reasonable. Any suggestions?
nikitasmom
To start you off while waiting for others with more experience. Get rid of the weeds and lay down mulch over the dirt. Remove the gutter extender. Cover up that dirt next to your stoop and end of walkway with some pavers. Attached is an idea for plant layout design. I like the varying heights and colors.
March 12, 2013 at 8:44am     
tfm2012
What about adding shutters to the window over the garage and getting some flowering Azaleas for under the windows in the front. Also, you could line the sidewalk with lights, decorative rocks or potted plants.
March 12, 2013 at 8:57am     
lessismoore
nikitasmom - I second the mulch! It would make a huge difference. You just need a few plants, an azalea and some grasses? Maybe even a few moss rocks. Paving the area closest to the porch - yes! and have some potted annuals for "color." there .... Trim, square up the existing bush in front of the dining room bay.Depending on weather, you could do a white lattice between the 2 windows closest to the front porch with a nice vine if you can get a mature plant.
It seems like a bit much, but would you be willing/able to paint the dark siding on the garage roof peak? Maybe someone else would have a brilliant color suggestion there. My first thought would be white.
March 12, 2013 at 10:00am   
jjba
I would take down the fern hanging in front of the front door and put it on a plant stand to the left of the door on the porch. Paint the front door a pop color like brick red perhaps. Add mulch and plants from my local hardware store. Also consider adding window boxes under the two matching windows to create a focal point. Consider lightening up the shake siding on the garage gable to match or coordinate with the little awning roof over the garage door. Also the bay window is beautiful and you should draw attention to it with color from plants and mulch. It would also be lovely to balance the yard by bringing a little garden planting area with knockout roses or something similar, where your sidewalk meets the curb. A larger project would include creating a walkway from your driveway to your front door. You probably go through the garage to get inside but a flagstone stepped walkway would be nice for potential buyers viewing your home.
March 12, 2013 at 10:15am   
Pine Hall Brick Company
The sidewalk looks dinky in proportion to the house. While you're getting pavers for the dirt area, get enough to put a row (preferably side-by-side) on either side of the walk to tie everything together.
March 12, 2013 at 10:35am     
Garden Tech Horticultural Services LLC
When I look at a blank slate like this I tend to think about larger plants on the corners to soften the height and take away the boxy look of the bare house. I'm thinking a slender unpright juniper or holly next to the garage. I too think you should pave the area by the front steps and make it more of a landing. Nice big pot of flowers by the steps you can change with the seasons. From the pictures I dont know that you need a lot of shrubs. Somone mentioned azaleas, they make great foundation plants if your conditions are right. I would get rid of the walkway and stepping stones that go across the front and around the corner, making the beds wider and you can get a layerd look by adding perennials for some more color. I agree move the hanging basket so its not blocking the door. maybe hang one off the post? I love Pine Hall's idea of widening the front walk.
March 12, 2013 at 11:05am   
decordivine
First of all,I would replace the straight sidewalk with a curving one down to the driveway.Window flowerboxes would look nice on the house and maybe a Lime green for the front door.
February 9, 2014 at 1:32pm   
Richlind Architects LLC
Sidewalk, but cost limitations. Shutters area great recommendation. Plant and shrubs with color are also great suggestions.

I would also suggest a lighter color on the dark brown gable. Would be nice to get some natural light at your front door porch, maybe it's just the photo.
February 9, 2014 at 1:40pm   
Craig CraigMDesigns
Make sure the beds you create have curves to come down the walk about 5 feet and curve back to the house. And painting the gable and front door to match would help .
February 9, 2014 at 7:22pm   
sgausman
We installed a new walk. I don't have any after pics yet, but here's an "in process" one. Note big tree also removed, as its trunk was likely to split.
February 10, 2014 at 7:10am     
Landscaping Help! Need curb appeal!
We've been living in our home for almost 3 years and...
Need curb appeal, landscaping ideas...help!
We really need help with curb appeal. The last few...
Need help with our landscape to improve the curb appeal.
We are getting ready to list our home in Northwest...
Need help with curb appeal/landscape
We are looking for a paint colour for the awful green...
Curb Appeal: Porch or Architectural Interest?
Looking to add some architectural interest to a 1970's...
Living room isn't flowing
Advice needed!! I have been working on this room,...
help hide fence from porch, but also deal with strange grate in porch
The city mandated a light well on this side of house...
Best way to house a growing puppy?
I have a German Shepherd puppy (meet Manny!!) who will...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...