Need HELP on condo lobby
Renee Galas
I have sort of become in charge of decorating my condo buillding and it needs A LOT of updating! We live on the beach so I would like it to have some beachy elements. Also, the building was built in the late 50's and I would like to incorporate some of the midcentury modern look if possible. I have been looking for a new table and maybe some sort of furniture to go under the wooden peice on the wall. We are also painting this week and I was thinking of doing a blue accent wall where the mirror is and some sort of cream, beige, or taupe color for the rest of the walls. Any thoughts or suggestion would be so helpful! Thanks!!
Shearer Painting & Wonderfulcolors.org
I like the blue wall idea. How about a painted furniture piece to replace existing for the mid century feel?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 3:29AM
cabindog09
What about replacing the square mirror with colorful, complimentary art (beach or mid-century?), placing a small table and chair(s) there in a light color (taupe?). I like Shearer's idea for a furniture piece. You could swap the square mirror to the accent wall, frame it to coordinate with the new furniture piece, and hang it above. Accessorize!

Where does the long wall with the wood piece go and how far back? Hard to tell from pics, but was thinking a color might set that piece off even more - I really like it. Strong taupe would work. Move the existing table under the wood piece. Or...move the art down the wall a bit, then replace the plant with a taller plant (palm?) Maybe a higher, long box-style planter with tall green plants, cascading tendrils, as well as some colorful annual or houseplant type inclusions, across the window space would work as well. Colorful, coordinating rug at the entry or in the center would be nice (indoor/outdoor?)

Make that blue work for you - nothing wimpy or too pale! Make the statement you obviously want to make!
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 3:02PM
Here is one idea with a more 'gallery' feel.

1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 4:42PM
nking43
If you can find an old photograph of the building, you can have it blown up and laminated on aluminum (basically, make it a sign) to mount on the wall. Kinko's does it, not expensive.

Or an old map. I had this done on 48x48 panels for a 100-year old building, with maps of the neighborhood from four different eras.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 5:18PM
Renee Galas
Thank you all so much for your comments! @shearer painting I like the idea of a painted furniture piece, maybe something more stream lined? @cabindog09, great ideas, the long wall goes back about another 10ft. The mailboxes are on the opposite wall and the door to the garage is at the end of the hall. I have been looking at different taupes and blues but im having trouble deciding which would look best, do you have any specific colors in mind that you would recommend? What do you think about painting over the stone wall? I definitely want to put some chairs in there and a rug would be nice too. @nking43, an old photograph or map would be very cool, I'll look into that, it might also be something we could use in the hallways on the different floors. @Dytecture, thanks for the pic, I like the paint color.
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 2:23AM
Sandra Studley_DAcci_Cardoza
I live in a condo building and I'm amazed that you have found yourself in that position. You have to be very careful not to do anything that goes against any of your neighbors tastes. Decorate in such a way that it will make life easier for your fellow residents; a deep wall shelf hung at counter-height near the mailboxes for folks to sort through their mail (don't busy it up with lamps or vases, etc.) and one or two nice tufted faux leather benches, for people to sit on while waiting for a ride, or to meet a guest. Take "artsy" photos with your digital camera; a beach near your condo building, perhaps a view looking up your stairwell, the landscaping outside of your building. Maybe print them out in black and white and hang them all in black frames with white matting. Resist putting up wall art that might not be to someone else's individual taste. Gear your decorating to the age group of the majority of the residents in your condominium. I live in a historic whaling seaport so I framed things like a poster advertising an author's appearance at the city's whaling museum, a copy of an antique map which I cut into three sections and hung in three separate frames, side-by-side, and a poster of "Whales of the World". I think the idea of painting a "feature wall" is great, but be sure to clear your color choice with the other residents in the building. Nothing would make me angrier than an in-the-face dismissal of my own preference every time I came home at night. No bold colors, no pastels, nothing too taste specific. Oh, and resist the urge to add fake houseplants or flowers to the lobby. Fill a cylindrical glass vase to half-full with clean white beach sand and place a couple of starfish, and maybe a sand dollar or two.....and some sea glass......in it.
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 2:54AM
nking43
Here is a photo of one of the maps. I did maps from1863, 1903, 1916, and 1930 and placed them on hallway landings facing the elevator.

To be clear, I am a condo trustee, and this project was approved by the Board.

I am told that realtors use it as a sales tool. All of the resident feedback has been enthusiastic, which is something of a miracle.

You can look for maps at wardmaps.com.
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 10:07AM
yilmazx
The introduction of the kitchen island has lent more flexibility to the positioning of the kitchen cabinets and kitchen sink, and helped make open plan kitchens and dining rooms a reality.http://www.ozgedus.com/tr/
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 10:20AM
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 11:48AM
Renee Galas
@Sandra Studley_DAcci_Cardoza Thanks for your suggestions! Our building doesnt have a management company and the board is pretty laissez faire about the decor but there are a few very opinionated residents. Thanks for reminding to keep it safe. Now I am rethinking the blue accent wall idea, maybe I should just do a darker shade of taupe as an accent wall instead to stay more neutal? I did put those glass vases on the table along with the white shell sculpture, maybe I could just put some sand and shells in the vases?
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 12:12PM
Renee Galas
I guess I should have mentioned that our walls are made out of concrete!...and it is hell to hangup anything on the wall! I actually put up the round mirror and the lattice wood peice which were items that the neighbors either liked or donated. The mirror is pretty much glued to the wall now. Do you think I can make it work if I just use some deeper colored paint to make the mirror pop and get new furniture to tie it all together or do you think its imperative that I move the art/mirror?
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 12:24PM
cabindog09
KEEP THE BLUE WALL!!! There will (always) be comments, good & bad, about the decorating choices. Go with your instinct to inject color. CHANGE IS GOOD! However, do NOT paint the rock. Pull your taupe color from the rock and use it to compliment that feature. You can successfully hang things on concrete/rock walls. You have to have the right tools and hardware, as well as the right individual to do the work. It's too bad the mirror is all but glued on - it would be nice to take it down if only to prep and paint. My thought about swapping things around was done in mind with cost savings and subtle change, so as not to upset the masses, and still provide a new look.

I have been looking at colors that I might suggest. I used Benj Moore's website because I like their color tools. Try it - upload the pics you posted and play around with the colors suggested. Try Labrador Blue 1670 with Cape May Cobblestone 1474 and Winter White 2140-70 ( on the long wall of mailboxes?.) There a couple of other combinations within their palette that I liked as well - West Coast 1671 w/ Northern Cliffs & Minced Onion (see those colors on a chip below on the West Coast example.) Can't go wrong with a selection named Sea Reflections 1664 for your accent wall. Put it together with Vale Mist 1494 and Sebring White 1492.

The key is to play with the colors until you find a color(s) that inspires you. Augment them with the taupes that play off of the rock and compliment the blue you like. Beach colors and paraphernalia will add the inspiration for other accents and pops of color. Live plants always. I still would like to see the big mirror framed (beach wood?) and replaced on the new accent wall. Use the round one down the long hall for tenants to use. Look forward to seeing what new furniture pieces you come up with - that painted one especially (per Shearer.) A little club chair action with a small side table with a rug of taupes, blues, oranges (sunset?), maybe even purple, would make a nice, warm welcoming entry to your building.

Do you have janitorial services to keep up the lobby area? Or is it haphazard and done by tenants? Just keeping it picked up, swept in and out, glass clean, plants alive, makes a good impression. Keep a container for recycling mail by the boxes, and maybe a bulletin board in the area (on the door?) to keep people up to date. When you reach your decisions, take photos and make a large presentation board to place in the lobby so the residents can become involved and excited (hopefully!) Photos of the new furniture pieces and art, then paint swathes of the new colors in large ways, maybe even behind the photos so they get a sense of the new palette. I think you can even print your upload pic from BMoore website, giving them the full impression of your choices. Anyway you do it, you've done them a great service and added value and appeal to "their" building. Keep us in the loop! More pics?
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 1:42PM
Sandra Studley_DAcci_Cardoza
We're also on the condo assoc. for our building but our building has a major shareholder, owning three of the eleven units and, thus, the most square footage. Though he is the developer of the original project, he does not live here. He does precious little to keep the building (a refurbished commercial space with exposed duct work, exposed brick walls, and vintage charm). I only advise you to be careful as there is a woman here in our building who takes it upon herself to "fix" the inevitable nicks and dings in the paint job in our hallways and, though her intentions are good, she does a less than spectacular job of it. The lobby is the first thing that residents and guests see when they enter the building and while you might see your paint job as "top notch" and beyond reproach, your fellow condo owners may not share your opinion. Your hard work and selfless donation of your own personal time might not be as appreciated as you'd want it to be. The condition of the lobby can have everything to do with whether or not a condo in your building sells. A tastefully decorated lobby can be a huge selling point and I applaud your efforts to take the initiative where your building management services leave off. Stick to a neutral paint color in your lobby, which can easily work with your beach theme. Go with a "beach sand" colored paint and maybe go a couple of shades darker on your accent wall. Perhaps you could dress up that mirror with a bit of driftwood? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fcBjfXLyqT4/T2sSixnme7I/AAAAAAAACf4/bx8Yc3wP4_U/s1600/best%2Bmirror%2Bpic.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thecubaninmycoffee.blogspot.com/2011/06/diy-drift-wood-mirrorfinally.html&h=1600&w=1131&sz=488&tbnid=mdWXxjvqaytf0M:&tbnh=91&tbnw=64&zoom=1&usg=__WOd0IUBv3-66c6cuxlRPg1Y8yQA=&docid=cG0aQTV14PG-qM&sa=X&ei=m743UfTBHpH00QGI3IGwCA&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAA&dur=1220
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 2:10PM
Sandra Studley_DAcci_Cardoza
oops....let's try this again. Here's the photo of the mirror:
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 2:12PM
Sandra Studley_DAcci_Cardoza
and another.....
0 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 2:14PM
Need help for condo building lobby
Hello, I am undertaking a beautification project for...
Need help redesigning lobby planter in condo building
Hello, I apologize for re-creating this request for...
Need help with updating a 1980's condo lobby
Current wallpaper has aqua and peach graphic- fairly...
Need Help Updating My Condo Lobby & Hallways
I am on the design committee to update and redesign...
Young professional Rustic apt.
Hey guys I have always wanted the rustic/western style...
Bathroom Dilemma
Hello! I am seeking help with a bathroom design. We...
Need help for living room
I sincerely dont have a decoration sense. By using...
Buyer's Remorse
Have you ever purchased something for your home, but...
New Bathroom
We are building a new house and I am deciding what...