Need help which way to lay laminite wood planks
lbabylee
We have picked out a laminate wood plank flooring! When you come in the front door you see an open floor plan that looks out into the living area with bedroom to the left and dining and kitchen to the right. Hall is off living area. I am in a dilemma on which way to lay the floor. I think that laying horizontal would look much better coming in the door looking over the living area. If I do that, then the kitchen and the hall will actually have to be laid vertical in my mind. Will that look ok? Or I could go vertical from bedroom to living room into kitchen. Then that is going to give my living area and hall the vertical affect. I need suggestions badly. Really confused at this point.
Usually the floor is laid in the direction that you would walk in the door [houzz=
]
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:56AM
lbabylee
Thank you! That's what I was thinking... so the kitchen and hall would be laid the same way as living area? right?
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:10AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I would look at the option of installing it at a diagonal. That way it might be interesting in every room.
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:17AM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
WRONG- You don't lay your floors the way you want to walk - in the door - good grief.
You MUST maximize stability and minimize on warping.
This means you must install on the 90 degree to your floor joists.

So, go into your basement, and if your floor joists are running front to back of your house - which they normally are - then your laminate must run side to side at a 90 degree angle to your floor joists...

If you want to go against this rule, then you have to glue and screw another sub-floor to your existing sub floor to increase stability (eg: angled install, or herringbone whatever).

CHECK THE MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS as to what they recommend for this - I've seen too many incorrect flooring installations, and trust me, you don't want to have to deal with boards popping up or warping because you didn't do your due diligence in preparation and sub-floor recommendations.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:25AM
lbabylee
Thank you for your advise. I will bring this up to the contractor....
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:28AM
Interiors International, Inc.
@Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc., Sorry to tell you that your wrong but you can run the floor at a diagonal with out the problems or new sub floor that you mentioned. The words "must and always" are things I try to avoid. There is usually an exception to the rule or the possibility that you may be mistaken. Please take this comment in the way it is intended not a slam just constructive advise. I've been bashed on this site one too many times for this mistake. Look forward to your new posts. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 12:52PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
III - I disagree with your comments, mainly because when you are dealing with installing anything in your home, I "always" follow the manufacturers instructions and "must" pass along my findings to my clients. Good luck with your business though...
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 7:53AM
pickyvicky
The contractor should know, or should know enough to check specifications before the install. Things can get very expensive if not done right and who wants that grief?
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 8:18AM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
LOL - you said it pickyvicky, the contractor "should" know, but it is up to you the homeowner and myself as the interior designer to advise them of any out of the ordinary installations. It's called accountability and due diligence...I've had some contractors thank me extensively because I've read over the installation instructions - sometimes the manufacturers change the installation guidelines to accommodate an upgrade or change of product - better safe than sorry I always say.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 8:37AM
Help please! Deciding on color and plank width for step-down great room
I am placing hardwood flooring in my step-down great...
michellezp
Which direction to lay kitchen floor tile?
Completely redoing our galley/breakfast nook kitchen...
mkwach
which way do you lay wood plank floors
horizontally or vertically or diaganol
newtonu2
need help for laying wood floor from enty
which way should floor be laid/ long way to back of...
bubbe1950
Need help deciding which direction to run Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring
I bought a new waterfront cabin. It's 1800 sqf and...
jaereloaded
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Living room window treatments
We recently purchased a 3-story condo. Floors are natural...
rtapp
Failed Garden Window
This garden window was installed about 18 years ago....
kvedd
help hubby hates the vanity I picked out. please save our marriage :)
http://www.houzz.com/photos/13041459/72-Venica-Teak-Double-Vanity-for-Semi-Recessed-Sinks-contemporary-bathroom-vanities-and-sink-consoles I...
Edie Nicosia
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Wendy