Need help w fireplace
whonewwhat
Our mountain cabin has a 70's faux driftwood stone fireplace. Eye sore. Should I paint it and the wall the same color, using and accent color? Can replace the mantel with rustic log? Or remove it and use a stone tile like limestone or quartz stone tile? Cabin is A framed. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Brown Bros. Masonry
Depending on your budget...A complete change in the mantle will do wonders. Using a natural, wide beam mantle will add to the cabin/rustinc theme. If you have a little more to spend, then not only a change in the mantle but perhaps in the stone choice. Varieties are endless but there are some geared more to a rustinc finish. (the last pic is of an outdoor fireplace but can easily be done indoors as well) Have fun with your remodel.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:15AM
nan7
I love how you have placed artwork on the mantle so that it is simply leaning for an effortless and personal look. Since the mantle is long, however, I would suggest using multiple pieces of varying sizes and in a variety of frames to give it more character and to make it more of a focal point. You can also mix in personal photographs for an even more personal touch. For a pop of color, I would suggest that you look at http://www.etsy.com/shop/monkeybeeswax which has affordable prints in some very bright colors, to tie in the colors you have in pillows/blankets on your sofa and to add some warmth to your relatively neutral space. Enjoy!
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:34AM
Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
I like the idea of adding a reclaimed wood mantle piece, you could even do it without changing the stone facade, you could take off the existing molding and install this instead. you could also spray paint the gold moldings around the fireplace box in a black colour to bring them up to date.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:38AM
cypress
Embrace your eyesore! If you change out the mantle to a log type or reclaimed wood type, I think it would complement your existing faux stone. Replace or paint your firescreen in black, bring in a coffee table with reclaimed wood and iron to give your space a rustic feel. Rustic and bold accents in decor would also go well here. Think iron, rust candlesticks, some chunky throws & pillows on the sofa. Low cost changes to update your cabin.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:57AM
rawketgrl
I think I would paint the brass black, take out the stone and put up a stone more to my liking with a thick reclaimed beam for a mantle. If I did not have the budget for that I would paint it all white, with the brass black, and wait until I could afford the whole thing before doing anything else. Keep the walls as is if you like them, why work harder than you have to on a vacation place! Cute mountain cabin. Have fun. :D
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 10:16AM
LL Cool Homes
I have lots of luck replacing these old faux stone fireplaces with tile. Its inexpensive and beautiful!
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 10:25AM
LL Cool Homes
Here's another that we refaced with tile. I have some others in my gallery on my web site at llcoolhomes.com.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 10:27AM
cmarquardt1
I agree with rawketgrl and LL Cool Homes (def scheck out hteir pics of fireplace renos!!!)
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 9:22AM
Need help with my square living/dining room w/ fireplace!
Well, i'm really having problems with the furniture...
Vera Barradas
Need help w/ new fireplace.
The room is 17' square, 7'11" inches high. No chandelier,...
phylphun
Need Help w/Fireplace Update
I currently have that builders grade ceramic tile around...
rla1964
Need help w/ refacing this fireplace wall
I would like less brick on this wall. Thinking about...
plchickenmom
Help! Need large sconces for 25 ft focal wall w/ fireplace
Hello Designers - I have a family room that includes...
Mi HB
Corner Kitchen Window & Sliding doors
New home, White kitchen, corner butt glass window in...
vicky1013
Help me finish my living room
I have been hesitant to hang a painting in this corner...
senelbos
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Solar Tubes
What is proper placement of solar tubes? In houzz...
747.2fra
Reno Cost
Anybody want to guess the cost of a complete Reno?...
Amanda Konersmann