Help Choosing an Entry Door
techhc
This is probably easy for many of you, but I have no decorating skills. Can you give me suggestions about choosing a new front door to let light in? I want to go a little less traditional, but not upsetting the look of the neighborhood. I need to let light in, so I'm considering a 3/4 or full glass. I don't care for oval glass or to frilly in the design. I hope that makes sense. I'm not a flower person, more of a box hedge person. :) The person before me loved flowers and the front of the house will soon errupt in flowers short and tall! Any advice there is welcomed also. Thank you in advance! I love houzz!
Barb B
What about a nice heavy wooden door. I'm thinking of a lighter colour, stained clear, with perhaps small panel windows across the top. This is where you could get creative with etched or stained glass.
March 4, 2013 at 2:17PM   
bigbama9
Try a brown wooden door with a glass door in front of the door so you can keep the door open
March 4, 2013 at 3:36PM   
techhc
Thank you, I had not considered a glass door in front because I thought of it as old fashioned. But I saw some today as I was around town which looked very nice. The current door is a nice heavy wooden door, but I want to change the look, even dramatically if possible, without making an ugly mistake. Honestly, we bought it from my mother-in-law who visits very often, and I would like to make it feel updated and not grandma's house. I love the etched glass, but wasn't sure if it should be 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, etc. I'm open to changing out the sidelights if needed also. Thank you!
March 4, 2013 at 4:36PM   
techhc
Barb B, the panels across the top would match the sidelights. I can definitely see a nice wooden stained door with window panels. Thanks!
March 4, 2013 at 4:39PM   
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
You have a beautiful house and I think adding a box hedge to the front entrance would be very nice. I don't know if it is within your budget but I think the front path could be improved. The entrance porch is very grand but the steps look too small. It might look better to enlarge the steps to at least the width of the outside white strip around the door or about two feet on either side. The steps could even be as wide at the upper area and step down to an area at least as large as the porch before the path narrows and leads to the left. I am afraid if you put a box hedge around the existing path it would make the path look even smaller. If you could take a picture of the front yard further back it would help for making suggestions. Search 'entrance gardens' on Houzz and you will see many beautiful houses like yours with large entrance paths. If enlarging the area is not within your budget I would plant two evergreen shrubs that get no taller than the porch but wide enough to fill the area to the left and right of the steps. Then have a boxwood hedge several feet out from the path so a larger area than the path is enclosed by the hedge. The purpose of either option is to enlarge the lower entrance garden area so that it is not smaller than the porch and grand entrance.
March 4, 2013 at 5:52PM     
techhc
Pamela, what a great point about the steps! That would make a beautiful difference. I will upload a better pic tomorrow. The first pic makes the landscaping look terrible because we cut everything way back in the fall. Soon there will be flowers everywhere. A neat row of tiger lillies around everything, azaleas, groups of taller than me tropical looking red flowers... every few weeks something else. It's just not my style. I like nicely trimmed hedges, hollies and gardenias. I will definitely start planning to do the steps!
March 4, 2013 at 7:38PM   
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
Please send me your tiger lilies! I would love to have them growing in my garden.
March 4, 2013 at 8:47PM   
Mountain View Window & Door
You have a lot of options. Here are just a few that will allow for more light. What do you think of either of these?
April 9, 2014 at 7:45AM   
Mountain View Window & Door
Sorry about that second photo being rotated
April 9, 2014 at 7:46AM   
Genevieve
adding a couple lights to your front porch and changing the colour of the door and the side lights to unify the 3 of them , unless you really need a new door I would simply do this
Entrance Detail
Kichler Lighting 49214AVI Brockton Anvil Iron Outdoor Wall Sconce

or
Sea Gull Lighting 60029 Kent Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Idea House
April 9, 2014 at 12:00PM   
Kevin Strader
I agree that you need to stay away from the really ornate door styles. Your house is more traditional so that type of door would look better. Here's a couple of ideas.
April 9, 2014 at 12:35PM   
RL MORTON & ASSOCIATES, PC
I like Kevin's pics with the door choices - remember as you add more glass to the door your level of privacy will go down. Definitely revise your side lites on each side of the door as Kevin has shown to bring in the light.
April 16, 2014 at 10:08AM   
NEED HELP IN CHOOSING WROUGH IRON ENTRY DOORS
I need recommendation on choosing USA base compnay...
Need help choosing entry door
We are changing out front entry door. Not sure if we...
Help me choose a new entry door.
Please help me choose a new style of front door for...
Entry with four doors. What color to choose to paint the doors?
Hello! We need your advise very much. We are repairing...
Quick color question
The painter is coming Thursday or Friday to paint our...
Your best tips on buying a sewing machine?
"Oh boy" mom said, when I told her "I'm taking up sewing"....
Need opinions on color of mantle for refaced fireplace...thanks
Refaced our fireplace with stone and replaced the hearth...
Bathroom painting
We are redoing a bathroom at our beach house..painting...