Different type of hardwood in livingroom flanked on both sides by oak?
pisachi
Our foyer/kitchen/dining/stairs have thin plank oak flooring. Can I put down a wider plank dark bamboo in the living room, which is between the foyer and the dining room?
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Hi pisachi. Continuity of flooring is usually your best way to go and maximizes the flow from space to space. I wouldn't. However: if you really want something different, it might be helpful to integrate a border of the existing flooring from the adjacent spaces around the perimeter of the room you want to change, (maybe 18") thereby making this a special architectural inset feature and avoiding the "design by Sybil" syndrome. Without pics of the the existing and the new flooring under consideration, it is difficult to answer fully or recommend with confidence. Generally, I would not be inclined to mix bamboo with oak, but every scenario isdifferent. A very important question: Are the transitions from room to room, doorways, cased openings, etc?
March 4, 2013 at 11:40AM   
pisachi
Hi Daniel, Thank you so much for your advice. I am afraid all the transitions from room to room are wide cased openings, no doors. I so badly want to get away from that boring oak but don't want to rip up perfectly good oak flooring and also break the bank :) Am open to ideas, don't have to have bamboo floors, just a nice wide planked hardwood would be nice. Attaching two pics - one from the foyer looking at the living room, and one from the living room looking into the dining.
March 4, 2013 at 11:57AM   
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Thanks for the pics. It clarifies my recommendation to NOT change the one space. So sorry. I know it is not the answer you want, but I believe I'd be giving you bad advice to recommend the change you desire.
March 4, 2013 at 12:56PM     
Bachelor's First Condo HELP!!
Mid 20s young professional who just recently purchased...
weather new wood
How do you get that grey weathered look on new wood?...
Help Needed for furniture
I am thinking of making furniture for this wall. I...
Help Needed for furniture