Painted new wood paneling in the bathroom
gadzooks1March 4, 2013
I will be putting custom wood paneling in bathroom that I will be painting. Are there any words of wisdom like the type of wood I should (or should not) use; type of paint recommended, etc? Thank YOU.
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Will moisture be a problem, do you have good ventalation? Can you get it professionally spray painted in a semi gloss for duribility.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:03PM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
Your selection of the wood is important. It will depend on style you want achieve in the room since some type of wood have more grain than others. Budget is another issue! If you interior is modern go with less wood grain. Use a quality primer and paint. I will recommend Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore products.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:09PM
Poplar wood, Muralo paint.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:12PM
gadzooks1
Would like wood w/little grain as possible. Thank you Pyramid Design Group, Lisa Studio Interior Design and judyg. :)
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:15PM
Ironwood Builders
Please treat the wood paneling in a bathroom as exterior siding. Prime all sides and caulk all seams and joints. Wood and water do not play well together. Even a small amount of moisture (summer humidity) infiltrating the wood grain will cause expansion of the material across the grain, the wood compresses the joint and then, when the moisture leaves, the wood shrinks (seasonal expansion and contraction is an issue in hardwood flooring, one reason the installers leave a 1/4" - 3/8" gap at the walls). The shrink then opens as a gap and leaves a dark line. More caulk and more paint..and then the caulk gets squeezed out because the back of the material is raw and allows moisture to work through from that side...the caulking then looks lumpy and on and on and on.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 3:01PM
gadzooks1
Thank you, Ironwood Builders! So the wood should be primed on the front, back, and all sides, right? I appreciate the thoroughness of your comments. Do you have a preferred woods?
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 3:12PM
Ironwood Builders
I like poplar for a smooth painted finish. Though in this situation an MDF product might be more stable. And yes, prime all 6 sides, even on the MDF. The seal provided by the primer will slow, not prevent, moisture infiltration. Slow is good. So you understand, the new paint chemistry makes most paints vapor permeable and water resistant. It's molecular.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 5:23PM
gadzooks1
Once again, thank you!
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 5:48PM
Redbud Custom Homes
I would HIGHLY recommend to stay away from MDF in a bathroom. It will swell even if it is primed on all sides. Paint is not a perfect sealer. I have seen too much MDF swell to ridiculous sizes that we refuse to use it anymore when it touches anything on the ground or when the edges are exposed. MDF stands for medium density fiberboard ... basically cardboards big brother ... In my opinion, use something like an Azek (PVC) trim on the pieces that touch the ground ... for everything else any paint grade poplar or pine will work fine. When it comes to wood paneling, you need to give the wood the ability to breathe, especially in this moist environment. We put all our paneling inside on lathe strips that allow for proper ventilation of the wood on all sides.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by gadzooks1    March 5, 2013 at 6:03PM
gadzooks1
I appreciate this advice Redbud Custom Homes. :) I'm feeling much better about this project, much much better.
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 10:02AM
new life for pine wood paneling
Our new old home has real pine wood paneling. It is...
rozzydow
Changing dark wood paneling to a lighter color: opinion needed
We have a very traditional, dark cherry wood library...
storymom
To wood panel or not to wood panel
My husband and I bought a house to flip and the den...
chcarvin
Need advice about paint color for wood panel
My master bathroom has wood panel souround isn't in...
yf2002l
Advice with wood paneled wall
I bought a house that was constructed in 1955. I plan...
Sam S
Master bath update
Without doing anything major, I was going to paint...
cbwiegmann
side table advice
Hi there! I'm looking for side tables that would blend...
Sarah
Bedroom help needed please
Bought new nightstand, mercury glass lamps... trying...
Julie Dyer
Sola tube in metal roof
Thinking of putting sola tubes in my walk in closet...
chi s
Bedroom help!!
We just placed an order for new bedroom furniture and...
bella3013