Custom Bathroom Vanity
annabelle14marie
How do you figure out how wide to make the doors and drawers on a 40" vanity if you want two center doors and three drawers on either side?
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I'd take a quad pad, use each 1/4" square on the quad pad to decipher a 40" width. Then play with the proportions that appeal to me.

For a 40" width, you need a minimum of 30" cabinet to house a good size sink in the middle, so your 40" width isn't quite wide enough to get a bank of drawers on either side - in that you only have 10" left which equates to 5" drawers on either side. After the framing goes in for these drawers, not enough drawer space to actually house anything.

At best you'll get a 30" cabinet off-centre with a 10" drawer on one side.

I'd find your sink, and locate your plumbing that has to be hidden in the cabinet - then see if you can reduce the size of the centre cabinet to give you a minimum 12" drawer size for each side, which leaves you with a 16" centre cabinet and a very tiny sink and faucet area!

It's about proportions and functionality - check out the different configurations online see what is standard - standards are there for a reason - because generally, there is a necessity to have them.

Good Luck!
March 4, 2013 at 4:46pm   
kadodi
Drawers less than 12" are practically worthless IMO. So 2 sets of 12" drawers leaves only 16" for doors ... 8" each. Can you get by with drawers on only one side?
March 4, 2013 at 4:46pm   
KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
What you want to look at is what is termed a "combination vanity". If you're working with standard widths it will be 39" but if you're between walls or up against one wall you'll need a small 1" filler anyway. I prefer Frameless cabinet construction which will maximize your storage space and allow you to have decent sized drawers. You'll only be able to have drawers on one side and which side may depend on your plumbing. But, if you're plumbing is coming out of the wall and not up through the floor your plumber can adjust accordingly to allow you to have drawers.

If the toilet is to the right or left of the vanity I'd suggest putting the drawers on the toilet side so that you can store at least one role in the bottom drawer so no one gets caught short (happens alot to me in my house - apparently I'm the official TP replacement person - it's a technical term!

What will this Frameless, Combination vanity look like? Single door on one side and at least 3 operative drawers on the other. The top 'fake' drawer head is where your sink sits into allowing you to have a centered sink and maximum counter space. One other piece of advice, if you're getting a solid surface counter top like marble, granite or quartz - purchase a single lever or 8" spread faucet for style and grace!
March 4, 2013 at 5:05pm   
annabelle14marie
thank you for the advice..sounds like it should be a wider vanity to get two sets of drawers on either side i was thinking of using "pantry" or "spice" pull outs that are thinner ....
March 4, 2013 at 5:14pm   
KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
Oh, that's not a bad idea! It sounds as though you want things to be symmetrical - the combination really isn't that bad but, I've used the pull outs in bathrooms before and they can be very practical. If you use two 9" you should have enough room to keep your plumber happy! Using all full height doors will give your vanity a different look which I think is exciting... Have fun.
March 4, 2013 at 5:47pm   
How to soften the house exterior?
Thinking modern front door & some kind of porch roof...
Change paint color?
My kitchen has been this color since we moved in 12...
Bedroom
I just redesigned my bedroom but I am not sure if I...
When to think about aging in place?
We are planning a major home remodel, including the...