Need ideas for an area rug
mic87911
My fiancé and I just bought a house. We have an open concept living room and dining area. I'm looking for a rug for the living room that will go with my furniture and curtains. Possible a second rug for my dining room. We are on a budget, only a couple hundred dollars for the one rug. I have posted some pictures of the furniture we bought and the space. The pictures of the same have the old owners' stuff in it, not ours. The walls are freshly painted so we'll keep those colors for now. The curtains are green and brown striped and the couches are brown even though they look gray in the picture. Thanks for the suggestions!
mic87911
I will post better pictures once we get in to the house and put that furniture in both spaces.
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 4:42PM
Maybe with your budget you should look at outdoor/indoor rugs. You can find large ones that are very pretty for little money at homedecorators.com
2 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 8:23PM
Jayme H.
Sisal rugs are often quite reasonable...and I have seen many affordable rugs at Overstock.com.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 8:25PM
mic87911
Thanks for the ideas. Do you think I should stick to a rug that is stripes to match the curtains or would a print work. The pillows that come with the couch have like gold swirls. I also might be buying some green throw pillows because I don't particularly care for the ones that came with the couch. But they can easily be turned around. Any other pillow ideas?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 8:29PM
carolins
I wouldn't buy other cushions or a rug yet. Once you've moved in and have arranged your furniture, you can get a feel for the space and what it needs to make it feel warmer and more your own. Then you know what size rug you need, which colour(s) will be best for rug and cushions. And indeed, photos of when you've moved in will definitely help :-)
Congratulations on your new house.
2 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 2:28AM
mic87911
Thanks. And you have a great point. I should have better pictures after this weekend. I will go from there once we get in the space.
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 5:09AM
JWinteriors
Lowes and home depot have great 8 x 10 area rugs for under $300. I would avoid stripes and go with a print or shaggy solid. Marshall/HomeGoods, Tuesday Morning, TJMaxx all have great looking/priced pillows and throws.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 5:17AM
bevballew
Love the furniture you bought. Look forward to new pictures. Best to wait until you get furniture I your new place.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 5:34AM
mic87911
Yep, I will wait until the furniture gets in and I'll post better pictures. I was thinking a print rug as well, but am clueless as to what prints would complement the curtains as well as the pillows on the couch.
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 7:37AM
Jayme H.
How many wall colors are there in the room?
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 8:05AM
mic87911
3...the dining room and kitchen are green and the living room has orange and yellow. When I get to the house I can take better pictures and see the names and brands of the paint.
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 9:30AM
Jayme H.
Furniture is brown, walls are orange and yellow in livingroom then? Is the dining room open to livingroom also?
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 10:12AM
mic87911
Yes it is all open...the kitchen/dining is green and the living is orange and yellow but we kept the previous owner's curtains which tie in the brown and green.
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 8:17PM
Jayme H.
Are u interested in changing any window or wall coverings? There is a lot of color variation in a small area, which can make things look not quite put together as well. I think I see 3 different colored walls in one pic? Not saying it's wrong if u like it..
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 8:47PM
mic87911
It's not really my taste if I was picking colors out. It's very bold but its growing on me. It was one condition my fiancé and I had was since this house was newly painted, we wouldn't paint yet. It is in my list for the future. As is new curtains. But for now we are using what the home came with. My priority is a rug because the floor is bamboo hardwood and I want something cozy :-). If I ever painted in the future it would probably be a more neutral color. So I guess for now I'm looking for a rug that will go with what I have to work with and then be functional with neutral colors in the future. If that makes sense? We closed today and will be moving in this weekend. Once the furniture comes, I'll post a picture with our furniture in that space.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 8:54PM
Need paint ideas for other walls and what color/style area rug
Paint color already on the walls is valspar roasted...
maecimommy12
Need area rug ideas..would like to add color to the open space
My curtain panels of choice is the swirl patterned...
jadrien347
Great Room Wall color and area rug ideas needed
I am extending the hardwood floor into the greatroom...
lemmonskml
need area rug idea
My son just bought a small rambler in NoVA and has...
chatboyle
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Need help in finding this backsplash
I have been searching for this backsplash and can't...
willis2834q
Needing help picking out wall color
Hi everyone! What color walls would you use that can...
spring920
Dining room turned utility room...
We are a family of five with three little kids and...
oceankids04
Need help finding a backsplash that would accent my granite countertop
My granite counter tops are a mix of beige, brown,...
mym3000