What should I put on my wall?
jessicawolin
What should I put on my wall behind my couch? Also, can you suggest a piece of furniture that would look good under the tv? I don't like that piece but its from our old apt.

Please excuse all the baby toys in the photo. I'll post an after shot that looks beautiful! I promise. Thanks for all of your advice - I sure need it!
Interiors International, Inc.
The first thing I would do is turn your sectional so it faces both the fireplace and TV both. You can find some cool art work on Etsy.com
March 4, 2013 at 5:16PM     
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Try turning the sectional so that the other end is against the wall and the back is to the entrance. Now you'll be able to view the TV and the Fire place. Move the chaise to the right hand corner of the FP but not so far back that it looks like it is on it's own. Beneath your TV a new cabinet will be easy to find at Restoration Hardware. Something Rustic but modern and clean lined, or, hang a small wall cabinet hoizontally under the TV. For these you mightlook at Design Within Reach or All Modern.com.
On the wall behind the sofa I'd liketo see pictures of your family. At the far end of the sofa add a large scaled end table or a low chest. Add a lamp. Windows would do well with roll up matchstick shades to accent the rustic feel of your FP hearth. New coffee table (Restoration Hardware) much larger and square. I know this might sound cliche but I reall think a mirror over the FP will pop and add light. Simple frame, nothing fancy. Could be a round to break up all the angles and repeat the large roll-arm
sofa!!!!!! Good luck.
March 4, 2013 at 5:24PM     
Agree with Jeffrey except for the mirror - if it won't reflect something beautiful or interesting use art instead.
March 4, 2013 at 8:17PM   
Sue So
Yes! please turn the sectional, take a pic and repost. I love the real life snapshot of all the toys b/c let's face it, that's how we live. Any thoughts to ikea storage for the little bits and pieces? Love that fireplace and what a great place for kiddos to play.
March 4, 2013 at 8:27PM     
hatch33049
Hey, first clean up that mess! Just kidding....your house looks very clean compared to mine. :-) But, seriously.....I agree about the sectional. It's blocking the fireplace. I also think some pretty window treatments would really accent the fireplace wall. Great choice of color on the walls! I painted my bathroom that color and worried it would be dull, but the gray actually looks very nice on the wall.
March 4, 2013 at 8:39PM   
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Jessica,
I agree with Interiors International. You have a very long and narrow room.
I think turning your sectional towards the fireplace would be beneficial to you.
Either way, that wall is also very long, so I would suggest 3 pieces of art.
This will add the design principle of repetition/rhythm to your space.
The one's I've suggested here will also tie the hues in the striped chair with the hues in your throw pillows.
Have fun and please show us "after" pictures.
Caroline :)
March 4, 2013 at 9:13PM     
Checking out your room again. Why don't you float the sectional in the center, turned the other direction and add a nice credenza on that wall with the TV above it? Then turn your striped chair to face the TV and put a large piece of art on the FP and another one where the TV is now. A pretty outdoor/indoor area rug for the sofa's feet to sit on and you're done. Just hose it off if the kids spill. Amoroso Design
Marblehead Residence
March 4, 2013 at 9:22PM   
jessicawolin
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. The couch if from our old place and once the kids are done spitting up we'll buy all new stuff. I'm looking for a temporary solution so it looks better. A few questions:

1. Does it matter that the couch isn't even? One side is longer than the other so the short part will be against the back wall and the long part will cut the room in half when you enter it. What should I put behind the couch- console table?

2. Would a rectangle mirror look good over the couch? We can do smaller pics of family on both sides. Is it possible to mount a mirror on a fireplace?

3. For the coffe table, are soft ottomans still in style ?

Thanks again!
March 5, 2013 at 4:10AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi again, I'm defending my suggestion re: a mirroron you FP wall.............! It's true that a mirror should be placed in order to reflect something beautiful however in this case, it's about something all together different. The contrast of stone wall and mirror will draw you into the room and balance the TV screen. It's healthy (yup...!) to have a mirror in your room. I will go further here and say that it would be ideal if the mirror is antique glass or a convex.
March 5, 2013 at 7:13AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
And...............I'd forget about an upholsterd ottoman for a coffee table here. Also, a mirror above the couch will be distracting when the TV is on. Mounting a mirror at the FP is easy. Hardware stores will have masonry hooks. Masonry screws can work also. The sofa will be fine even with the differing lengths. Instead of a console you will solve the rear view by either placing a quilt or throw over the back. If you go with a console keep it a little smaller than the sofa so theres room on either end.
March 5, 2013 at 7:22AM   
Ekhaya Designs
Love, love, love this question. That is a large wall to fill. The suggestions given are awesome, I like Caroline's idea as well. You could hang wood carved panels, one large items ( it would have to be big to fill up most of the wall) ,or a row of pictures as shown by Caroline. Here are some of my pics #1 scroll mirror is 52.5"w x 77"H can be hung horizontally $659 #2 Clover mirror 43" in diameter $499 #3 Clock 59" in diameter $599. It is not a functioning clock (just decorative) Consider your budget too because something like the clover mirror you would need 3 of them.
March 5, 2013 at 7:46AM   
MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
that wall screams for art.....and not cheap decorative, art
www.art-marleneburns.com
March 5, 2013 at 7:56AM   
cousinsmj
Definitely turn the sectional as already suggested. If you get a new piece for under the TV (although I think this one is OK) consider putting this piece behind the sofa with some lamps. I would like it one the long wall behind the sectional (after you turn it). I think something like this gingko art from Grandin Road would be awesome. I agree that some drapes, maybe even burlap with a patterned fabric border (along long edge) that brings colors together -- like the paisley below from Fabric.com. Can't wait to see the updated pics.
March 5, 2013 at 7:58AM   
cousinsmj
Jessica -- doesn't matter that sectional isn't even.. Trust us, it will look infinitely better turned with one side against wall and one facing fireplace. I agree with mirror on FP. When you redo room, consider color flow from one room to next. If hallway leading into this room stays blue, consider adding a touch of blue to this room. Or paint hallway a color that picks up elements of this room. Have you heard of Lineberry Carts as coffee table alternative? Adds a lot of texture and personality.
March 5, 2013 at 8:08AM   
Ekhaya Designs
Jessica, whatever you end up hanging on your wall should be something that makes your heart smile; regardless of the price. For instance, in my hall way I bought large frames, had matte board cut out at the local craft store and framed two of my wedding pictures and wedding invitation in the middle frame. I could have done the same idea with one larger frame in the middle and two mid size frames on either side of the large one. I could have placed pictures of my kids, flowers, pets if I had any and this didn't cost me a lot. You need to fill the wall with something you like, but preferable art large in scale because of your wall size. Good luck!
March 5, 2013 at 9:20AM   
Kathy Loegering
I want to do this in my long hallway. May work on you large wall area.
March 5, 2013 at 9:40AM     
Ekhaya Designs
Yes Kathy, great idea
March 5, 2013 at 9:59AM     
hockey456
I agree. Rotate the sectional and put the chair to the left of the fireplace. As for the art?... Whatever speaks to you, but make it big.
March 7, 2013 at 5:34PM   
Sue So
Ottoman vs Coffee table - soft ottomans are still in style, but I would say it depends on what you need. Coloring and eating...opt for the coffee table. Jumping and playing or wee toddlers...opt for the ottoman (no hard edges or corners) and use a tray if you need a hard surface. Console table - depends on if you need a another surface or desk. We used ours behind our sectional to pay bills or do emails, while our kiddos played a few feet away. Agree on big artwork!
March 7, 2013 at 6:33PM   
PNT Enterprises
Invest some thought into a large Maxfiel parrish on the great wall
March 7, 2013 at 6:45PM   
coopercj
Take three very casual pics of the kids or other family shots.....not posed....and get big canvas enlargements at kinko/ fed ex or staples....18 x24 or larger....no need to frame, not expensive and fast. I did this with old not even that well focused photos of my husband as a kid and they look surprisingly great
March 7, 2013 at 6:58PM   
jessicawolin
I'm in tj maxx - what do you think of this mirror over the couch? Or is a mirror just a bad idea it's 129
March 8, 2013 at 8:34AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi again, for the paint color are you thinking of painting just the feature wall behind your sofa, or the whole room? Judging from what I can see in your photo I think you have two essential options.
First, you can keep the room in the chromatic scheme by selecting a color from what is in your room now. A lighter shade of the wall color you have now, or a color from your sectional but a step deeper.
By going with this formula you will have a layered look which you might think of as calm, restrained, and restful.
The second option is to pick a color which is new to the room. Green, Blue, or the Magenta from your floral throw pillows. The effect will be to contrast the neutral range you have now. You might call this energetic, playful, and enthusiastic. In this scheme you would add accents which bring the new color into the space. Window treatments, throws, art, objects and pillows are the easiest way to achieve a finished room.
When I am working with a young family I will usually encourage the second more colorful approach.
The practical benefit here is that more use of mixed color is more forgiving of nicks, spills, and aging.
The first scheme, a more controlled use of color gives a space a simpler, cleaner look, but can become more chaotic when you add kids toys and such.
March 8, 2013 at 9:23AM   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
This Family Room was monochromatic when we started work. The clients are in their 30's with two young kids and one on the way. They wanted something edgier, brighter, and easy to maintain.
The two largest walls were repainted in a tomatoe red. The grey sectional is covered in a polymide and cotton material that looks and feels like Gray flannel but is rated for contract use so it's fade, stain, and wear resistent. The art work is a pair of color photos taken at night with a time delay exposure. Hong Kong and Paris are cities which hold great memories for the couple.
March 8, 2013 at 9:39AM     
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Oh, forgot to mention, an arc lamp would give you dimmable lighting to soften the space in the center and add lots of interest.
March 8, 2013 at 9:41AM     
JUL313 Gallery
I large statement piece of art would really pop out your room!! I have several I have recently completed. www.jul313.com or you can contact me at julie@jul313.com. Have fun!!
March 8, 2013 at 10:33AM   
You need panels on all windows. With a nice wood dark rod. White panels are fine make sure they go to floor. Is there any way you could put TV on fireplace? If so you could get use of fireplace and TV. If not buy a longer tv media for wall more contemporary. Over sofa if it stays there. A very large 6x7 modern art, with tons of color. Plummers in Calif. ck on line to get ideas. But remember to keep it big. No small groupings wall too big. You need end table with nice table lamp. Again tall with color. Look at TJMax, for lamps, tables etc. maybe floor lamp again tall 6ft on other side of sofa. Get toss pillows a lot of them.
March 8, 2013 at 10:46AM   
Put a flat screen in front of fire hole space. Put silk plants by fireplace. Or very tall pot. Art work on fireplace, stay with contemporary. Make it 5x5 with color don't hang too high. 5" above fire opening.
March 8, 2013 at 10:50AM   
Hang panels rod about 4" above window. Put big bushy trees on each side of fireplace to cover window. Would look more finished. Post pic of what you did. Good luck. I've been interior designer for 15 years. I love this site. So much fun to see finished results.
March 8, 2013 at 10:53AM   
One more thing get small table by big chair. Get bigger round coffee table not glass.
March 8, 2013 at 10:54AM   
redheadedwmn
How about cube storage for under the TV? You would be able to add cubes as needed to match better to the size/scale of the tv. And doubles as toy storage!
March 8, 2013 at 11:04AM     
The Look Interiors
Rather than just buying things to add, why not start with better bones?
The small, WHITE white trim is so off in a room with such a large scale, warm stone and fireplace.
Someone in this thread had suggested a UroChic coffee table... pretty good, as the rough boards work well following up with the stone. Perhaps pop off that Colonial trim and have a contractor add a bit more natural or organic trim, as a followthrough.
Even using a flat trim as a crown will soften the harsh white ceiling line.

Gorgeous fireplace!
March 8, 2013 at 11:04AM   
What should I put on my walls?
We bought our first house in December and we're slowly...
What color of walls should I put with my Restoration Hardware Light Si
I have dark wood built ins and ivory bedding. The open...
What bed should I put against my barn wood wall?
Building a rustic home, bought a barn and it is being...
What should I put on my walls next to TV?
Blank walls next to TV seem to need something, but...
What should I put on my living room walls?
Moved into our new house 3 months ago and am at a loss...
How should I hang the artwork?
Should I center this art work above the couch and let...
High ceiling bare wall
I have 20' ceilings and have a big ledge up top going...
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
This house needs your attention please !!!!
Our house needs serious help , facelift , exterior...
If there were an Ugliest Fireplace Contest this one's a Winner! Help!
We just purchased a cottage and will be taking possession...