Can you suggest any paint colors?
jhzarch
We are trying to paint our basement, but can't agree on a color. We have three young kids so want to paint the wall with a color that will not look dirty. Also would like to keep the room contemporary and want to add black board paint somewhere for the kids...the painters are coming on Saturday and we are lost. Most of our house is blue/gray so we are trying to do something different. We have oak colored cabinets going where the white fridge is right now. Please help if you can...we have posted with no replies so far......
4isablessing
Besides the oak what other colors are your furniture? Do you have a rug?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 7:32PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
As you can see the darker blue above the stairs, you will have to take that into consideration for your wall color choice. It is a large space and many angular walls etc. I always suggest to choose you wall color last..after you have all furnishings..especially rugs. I would also suggest you shop for an inexpensive larger rug for your seating area..lighter multi colors, lots of pattern as it will not show soil easily..an inexpensive olefin rug, easy to clean. From that, choose colors for the walls..I would choose several colors have them just end at a corner or any break in the walls. Use the various colors to define different areas of usage.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 7:37PM
Jayme H.
Wonder if Sherwood Tan by Benjamin Moore would work?
2 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 7:39PM
surfacedesign
How about lime green? (Not neon green.) Works well with grey and black. Add pillows with that shade for the sofas. Select several shades that may work. Paint samples in 18 inch squares on the wall. The light changes during the day. Live with these for a day or so. Choose your favorite!
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 7:42PM
Keitha
I suggest going with one of the gray/brown tones in the tile. Keeping the walls and floor unified with a neutral color will coordinate with most all furnishings and will highlight your chalkboard wall. You can bring in color with art and accessories.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 7:43PM
Keitha
Here are some ideas
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 7:49PM
Jayme H.
Shaker Beige, Ben Moore
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 7:59PM
jhzarch
What about a grey? We were thinking of going with a Benjamin Moore Sea Haze.... Its a gray with a hint of green. Then we like the shag zebra rug or a neon shag rug... Pink or purple?
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 8:02PM
jhzarch
Keitha what color is that first picture? Like a lot! Also like the beige...
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 8:03PM
Jayme H.
I understood u were trying to avoid more grey..but I think grey would work also.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 8:19PM
Keitha
Sorry not really sure what the color is but I like it too!
0 Likes   March 4, 2013 at 9:27PM
jhzarch
Any more paint suggestions anyone? Hae to buy the paint tomorrow and we at still lost....we bought a nlack and white zebra rug to go n the basement.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:12PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
How about something different Vienna green or lime green and one whole wall in chalkboard paint the black and green would compliment each other .c2 paint has a color called kazoo its a greenish yellow color .
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:28PM
jhzarch
We were thinking like a greyish olive color maybe...
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:41PM
anitajoyce
Tan would be a very nice color for the walls and won't look dirty.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:59PM
jensen2
I am in the same position but have more time to decide. I have been looking at Sherwin Williams samples and leaning towards a green too. Check out the color cargo pants or sedate gray. They both have some olive green & gray coloring. Good luck. Like to hear what you decide to go with & pictures too!
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:06PM
ReMax - Lisa
BM revere pewter would work very well. A great neutral that changes colour in different lighting so you don't tire of it
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:14PM
jensen2
ReMax: is that a gray or brown? Thanks.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:17PM
ReMax - Lisa
It's a soft gray with a slight green undertone. Used it in our last basement and loved it. On upper levels with lots of sunlight, you don't see the slight green tinge. It's a very popular neutral
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:19PM
tammymedlin
I love Ben Moore HC-172. It is very neutral gray that is not too cool. Not too dark for an enclosed basement. It reflects light well and is good with warmer tones as well as cooler tones. Great for a space that is connected to other rooms i.e. a foyer.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:39PM
cmcole1121
BM Revere Pewter or Edgecomb Gray
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:42PM
With that floor, and the light challenges of a basement, you just need a light warm neutral that is proven. Something with yellow undertones - here's what will be perfect with oak and that floor -
SW6113 Interactive Cream from Sherwin-Williams http://www.sherwin-williams.com/architects-specifiers-designers/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6113-interactive-cream/
it will look great with the oak - if you need a lighter color for the ceiling beam, try the one shade up biscuit http://www.sherwin-williams.com/architects-specifiers-designers/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6112-biscuit/

You can shuffle off / bring blue and gray down here to play with it, but it will add instant warmth. The perfect warm neutral.

Use the triangle under the stair back to the closet doors under the soffit for your blackboard paint area.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:43PM
Lkristine
Don't discount your opinion...... you can do many kid friendly options with a color on the walls like you have explored.........(and it makes for easy changes down the road when they outgrow them as well.)
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 8:57PM
jhzarch
Here is an update.....we looked at the revere pewter but not sure. We painted a sample of the sea haze (darker color) and sea haze w/ only 50% mix.....any comments??? Painters are here tomorrow morning...ah!
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 6:20PM
Jayme H.
sea haze on right of pic?
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 6:27PM
jhzarch
Yes
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 6:31PM
Kylie Thompson
The color on the left. The gray is too similar to the floor. I think a little contrast would be nice. U could always do gray accessories.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 6:32PM
Jayme H.
Not sure I like the tone of the one on the left...hard to tell without seeing it next to more of the room.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 6:39PM
Jayme H.
Which one do u like?
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 6:40PM
jhzarch
Going for one on left I think....put on a second coat and it darkened...
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 7:16PM
jhzarch
Another photo
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 7:18PM
jhzarch
Just put in the oak cabinets.....
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 8:58PM
Are you sure you want something that dark for the basement? Do you have a lot of lighting? The one on the left is better than the one on the right. I'm the latecomer who suggested interactive cream - it is a buff with yellow undertones.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 9:12PM
jhzarch
We have 16 - 6" 65w high hats in the basement so it is pretty bright for a basement. I thought yellow but couldn't find one that we liked....most colors in the rest of the house are greys, blues or greens. I would like to bring in some bright colored art and pillows, etc. we didn't really like the tans or creams. 7 hours until the painters are here.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 9:19PM
Finding a good yellow is tough, and this one is special. Sorry for being a latecomer. Good luck!
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 10:19PM
Kylie Thompson
I love love creamy yellows too, but was unable to find one I liked on my
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 4:03AM
Kylie Thompson
Loft and hall walls that looked good in every lt.. So we went with gray:) love yellow but definitely tough to find the perfect one.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 4:04AM
Elliason Concepcion
Cream white and Sherwood Tan alternation.
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 7:11AM
jensen2
Would like to see a finished photo!
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 4:14PM
jhzarch
Just finished painting.....we went with BM Sea Haze at 50% color...the blackboard paint separates the kids area from the tv area.
2 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 4:29PM
jensen2
Nice choice! I never thought to have paint mixed at 50%. Enjoy your new space.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 6:10PM
jhzarch
A little more progress....slowly getting there! We are thinking about pouring a concrete countertop on the oak cabinets. Has anyone ever done this themselves? It doesn't look too hard.
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 8:56PM
New Bathroom dilema
I am doing new bathroom, think will go for black ceramic...
meteiny
Whole house update?
My husband and I are considering purchasing a home...
elleannie
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
main gate entry door designs
you have so much varieties, lots of beautiful images...
asitoza
Suggestions for this brick fireplace surrounded by built-ins
Hey you creative people! Need help for this brick fireplace....
paawani