What should I do in this awkward space?

figureskating22March 5, 2013
I have a short space above my daughters closet and I am going out of my mind trying to see what works!
The detentions or 4' tall and 9' across. It has two angled places so if you have any ideas tell me.
crystalenka
What does the rest of the room look like?
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:29AM
figureskating22
It has 2 purple walls and two aqua. And a lilacish purple plaid bedding.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:32AM
annchinook
Add some x-large beautiful baskets or boxes to store seldom used or seasonal items, you could also add some crown moulding to the top of the closet to give it a finished look. I would put a built in cabinet there but it looks as if there is a return air vent that should not be covered...baskets would be best to allow for air flow.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:37AM
figureskating22
Thanks I will try that!
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:38AM
JWinteriors
A point of interest, would be to paint your closet bump out a secondary color to set it apart from the main wall color. Add doll house with car, accessories to spread it out; or add doll collection perched on multi levels; suspend 3 colorful objects from ceiling; add rope lighting to illuminate objects.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:40AM
HERE Design and Architecture
Frame straight across flush with the existing wall to make a soffit over the door. Pull the duct forward. Put doors on the enclosed space so you can use it for storage.
7 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:40AM
JWinteriors
Looks like your vent is installed upside down. You shouldn't be able to see into vent from the floor. Fins should be sending air up for convectional heating..not down.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:42AM
The Home Beautiful
What about a reading or play nook with a sliding ladder (just like in a library) and railing that borders the area. It would be neat to have some bookshelves and a cushion to sit on. I would steer away from decorative items for they may only collect dust. The rest of the room is awesome, she must love it!
12 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:47AM
figureskating22
Thanks beautiful home good point on the dust I never thought about that. I will take it all into consideration!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:51AM
printesa
I saw this on the HGTV 2012 green home
2012 HGTV Green Home · More Info
9 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:53AM
The L.A. Lady
Very cute! I agree with the ladder. Kids love small spaces like that and as long as it's properly supported beneath that space, it would make a great fort!
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:01AM
AMN
Make it a fun kids' space, or ignore it.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:03AM
figureskating22
Thanks every one! I told my daughter about making it a nook and she was soooo happy! It is supported fine and a ladder will fit perfectly!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:04AM
These are fun concepts, especially for sleepovers. The ship could become a Rapunzel-style castle turret. If she will soon be a teen #4 as a study area upstairs might be smart.
Kids Bedroom · More Info

Menlo Park Fantasy Girls' Playroom with Custom Loft Bed · More Info
Champlains's Bluff · More Info

Bedrooms · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:09AM
Osirius Designs
Paint the back wall white and add some coloured blue and purple glass bottles and put some lighting at back of ledge to warm up and brighten area in evening?;^)
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:17AM
figureskating22
Cute idea!
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:21AM
Christine
That is an annoying plant ledge found in a lot of houses. Builders think that many folks like putting fake flowers up to gather dust. Depending on how old your kids are you could use it to put a collection of dolls dressed in the colors of the room. You could also make it an overflow bookcase area and just buld in shelves that wrap the wall and then put up old books they have and like and then wrap them in white butchers paper. You could put a night light up there too and line the wall with fake library paper.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:30AM
figureskating22
Yes the space is a pain in the butt! I believe that that is where her old books will go! She is 7 if it helps!
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:33AM
MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
big stuffed animals. don't cover the vent!
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:36PM
figureskating22
I won't cover the vent and she is not a stuffed animal person she has 5 that are her favorites! My 5 year old would love that! Lol
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:38PM
MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
i live in the southwest where these "pot shelves" are popular...whatever goes up there becomes a dust collector....what about some rattan storage pieces....kill two birds with one stone!
i am an artist...i always hang paintings in odd places...i'd jump on that spot!!
actually, i'd get an artist to paint a big splash of white over that teal...just to give some interest without collecting dust.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:46PM
figureskating22
Thank. Everyone on houzz is so helpful!
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:47PM
Julia Douglas
I like the idea of baskets used for storage. I would be a great place to store some of her favorite toys for future grandchildren, seasonal clothing, etc. It could easily be hidden behind a corresponding curtain/draped fabric if things get to busy (look messy) above the door. A cute nook would be wonderful but the ladder would interfere with opening the closet door and/or cut into entry door space. A railing would be necessary to prevent falls and I would ask myself if there is enough room for her and at least 2 of her friends. I am a grandmother to 4 granddaughters and mother of 2 boys. I wouldn't want anybody getting hurt.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 1:40PM
papasbride
Go with storage if you need it. My first thought was "secret garden" painted on back wall, with just a few real things (basket, antique baby buggy, rattan trunks) in the fore-front. Less to dust.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 2:50PM
You can even, as she gets to be a teen, put a platform bed at the level just above the closet below and the nook can be her bedside table. You can design the outside of the platform to be something cool like the floating boat or just let it be a loft bed.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 8:17PM
anzella
hi sorry i am not helping with the post but i love the colours of the paints! do you know what they are called? :)
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:55AM
apriltini
The owl lamps are fantastic! Where'd you find them? Your daughter's room looks great. I wish I could do that to MY room, but my husband would probably have a coronary if I even suggested it.
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:50AM
figureskating22
The lamps r a homegoods find and I will look up the colors.
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 4:53AM
bwashington
I agree with other writer in space. I would extend the top of the closet by connecting it to the side of the closet. I would get someone who does this type of work and make it just as wide extending outward. I would include a ladder that is attached to the ledge. There would be side rails on both sides should your child loose his/her balance there are sides. Although it has never be done prehapes I would have a belt attached that your child could put around his/her waste. when they want to climb up. Have it attached to something with one of those cheap alarm you find in dollar store. Explain to your child he/she is not to climb up the ladder unless an adult is home. That way if the belt is removed from placement you can hear it.

Now for the fun. Collect books on children spaces. On a weekend day, call the child and you gather some where that is comfortable and design the room together. Frankly, I don't like the paint color of the room. On that ledge I can see a small cushion that's number one, pillows(if your child has a theme in mind find pillows that will match the them or if you can sew them you make the form and let your chid stuff the pillows. Find pictures to hang on the side wall or put shelves with storage bins to hold toys, books or whatever they like (the two side walls after you have the top exteded over. The back wall under the vent is where I would put a large pillow to match the cushion on the bottom and several small pillows to match the them. If the grat is upside down fix that as well. You know they make some grats with screens on them. That way you wouldn't have to worry about bugs being up there. That funny looking rectangle with the wood I would put stars (glo) up there but I would paint it out first in black. I would somewho see how maybe a battery operated or two of those round lights could be placed to help your child see at night. If you think it would be safe to put a low rail up, I would do that also. I would put the rail to extend from the left to the right leaving enough room for your child to get on the ledge without it being to small of an opening.

Maybe an arrow pointing up or some word on the side of the closet door that refer to the space above.
I suggest you working with your child because it is a time to bond, the child will feel proud he/she had a part in designing the space and he/she will love you even more because even though the room is their room they have a private space within there room. Remember when we were children we would go to our small spaces. I had a large box turned on the side. I lived on a plantation and there was no room in a house of eight to go anywhere other than the outdoors toilet and that wasn't wise to go there.

I hope this helped.

Good Luck!
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:39AM
figureskating22
Yes she and me made her room together!
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:51PM
figureskating22
She picked the color and it looks great to her. I am making it a nook.
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:01PM
brookejp
I have the same exact problem. I think I am gonna go with the ladder and railing idea to make a little hang out nook. A bunch of stuffed animals WILL just collect dust.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:49PM
jgomosfrontiercom
we started a farm scene on ours (in the Living room- over the steps to the basement ) and I have had fun buying "stuff" to add to the scene.. when down sizing comes I'll part with it saddly
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:14PM
meaganleavy
If wide enough, a wide picket fence and ladder for an extra sleep space or reading nook
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:18PM
Gretchen Maurer
I have a similar space. I bought paper covered boxes that i stack up in a pretty way. some are empty and some have mementoes....dust free and cheap
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 5:59PM
calkelley
actually there is a picture of a spiral ladder in one of the rooms. I like that
    Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 7:31AM
karelina
If it isn't, you might paint the vent the same color as the wall, so it disappears.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 10:45PM
Help with my living room with corner fireplace and long awkward space
My husband and I moved into our home in 2008. We have...
ptounia5
Awkward Space
I have a very awkward space in my kitchen breakfast...
Devyn Fraser
What do I do with awkward space below vaulted ceiling in summer home?
My East Coast summer home has an awkward space above...
mjdavies
What to do with our large but awkward space - please help........
Struggling with how to furnish our large room in a...
mskdj
Need help for an awkward space when you walk in the front door.
When you walk in the front door of the house we are...
kharris10
crown moulding???
What are the benefits of Crown moulding? I am purchasing...
Jimmy Dean
Colored ceiling in all white bath?
We have until Monday to decide how to paint this room....
domesticimpostor
What to put in open space dining room?
Struggling to figure out what to put between these...
tinab174
I need to find a mirror to put over the console table
My console is 48 inches wide, I have 9 foot ceilings...
ntrama
J Hunt Lamps
Where can I find a pair of these lamps?
design_007